No HD signal

I now have no HD signal at all on any HD channel. The Humax tells me there is "no signal".

It was working for months. The HD started to break up a bit. Then it returned to normal. Now it has completely disappeared. SD is fine. HD was fine.

This signal comes from Malvern. I don't think this is connected to the storm, which was a bit of a non-event up here.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Go to Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection and select the channel number for your HiDef mux. If that says signal strength = zero there is no reason to disbelieve it. Have a look on the web and see if there are any problem reports or scheduled engineering works.

You did select the DVB-T2 option didn't you? The DVB-T option would give a result of zero if the HD Mux is selected.

Considering the first post, I think it is reasonable to assume the DVB setting is correct, but just in case...

When you perform an automatic scan (retune), the HD/HDR-FOX actually scans the transmission channels twice: once for DVB-T encoded channels (the StDef services are transmitted by DVB-T) and then again for DVB-T2 encoded channels (the HiDef services are transmitted by DVB-T2). If you only ever retune by automatic scan, you don't need to worry about this.

On the other hand, when retuning manually by selecting the specific transmission channels, you have to specifically set the DVB-T / DVB-T2 parameter correctly or no services get tuned from that particular multiplex. This means that the five (or so) multiplexes with StDef services have to be tuned using DVB-T, and the HiDef multiplex must be tuned using DVB-T2 (this is a setting on the manual tuning menu).

So the question is this: have you performed any retunes lately, just before the HiDef services disappeared? Might it have performed a retune itself, and cocked it up (you would know, the recording schedule would have mysteriously deleted itself)?

The simple answer might just be to perform a retune and see of that sorts it out.

I have never done a manual tune. I did an autoscan a few months ago and indeed my recording schedule disappeared etc. This did not coincide with the loss of HD signals. Since then I have never lost my recording schedule so presumably the box has not performed a retune.

I have noticed two odd anomalies which may be connected with this loss of HD. One is that the television's brief display of the letters HDMI is sometimes accompanied or replaced by the number 2. I have never seen this before and don't know what it means. The other is that changing channels in SD (these channels all work fine) takes longer. The screen is black for a time. It's a short time, but it's different to how it was. I wonder if anyone can draw a conclusion from this?

Thanks for your help so far.

Aha! Sounds like the TV/Humax are no longer negotiating protected HDMI. Connect up by SCART or Phono instead of HDMI and see if you get the HiDef channels then. It wasn't the Humax reporting no signal, it was your TV.

Aha! Sounds like the TV/Humax are no longer negotiating protected HDMI. Connect up by SCART or Phono instead of HDMI and see if you get the HiDef channels then. It wasn't the Humax reporting no signal, it was your TV.
Because of what you said, I rebooted the TV. The HD channels are back. I did see that number 2 on the screen as the TV came on. What does it all mean? Is it solved?

You will get all channels including the Hi-def. ones, however they will be in 576i rather than 1080i/p as this is only sent from the HDMI interface

You did select the DVB-T2 option didn't you? The DVB-T option would give a result of zero if the HD Mux is selected.
On 1.02.20 when I go to Go to Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection there is no DVB-T2 option. That is something I have not tried on the other verisons but I suspect you are thinking of the manual retune option.

Sorry, that wasn't the menu I was referring too. I thought he has doing a manual retune. You do have to select DVB-T2 when searching the HD MUX. But that is in a different menu tree.

It was my fault, I obviously misread the question.

What I don't understand is how, if the problem is HDMI, the signal detection reported zero - unless the OP just assumed.

OK, today I will try the SCART connection and see if I have HD. I haven't retuned the Humax. Should I do that?

NB the signal is definitely 0%. This isn't an assumption.

I've tried it with SCART. Exactly the same. No HD channels: "The signal is too weak or the receiver is not receiving any signal." Signal strength and quality 0%.

What does this indicate please? (and many thanks).

Back