NTFS formatted USB stick

ruurik

Hi all. I have a 30 gb USB stick formatted as NTFS and it could be read on my HDR. I then had to format the stick to use a different file system. Afterwards, I formatted it back to NTFS and now the Humax cannot read the stick. If I plug in or unplug the stick, it notifies me of this on TV but I can't access it from the Humax menu anymore. Any ideas why or what I need to do to resolve this? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. Hmmm this is strange. I know one of my two Humax boxes read from my NTFS stick ok. If the Foxsat could never read NTFS, do you think it could have been my HDR-Fox T2 that read from the stick? I remember it couldn't write to it but it could read from it ok.

If the Foxsat could never read NTFS, do you think it could have been my HDR-Fox T2 that read from the stick?
Yes the HDR-FOX T2 has built in read only NTFS support; the custom firmware can add read and write support for NTFS.

Thanks Martin for your reply. So my NTFS USB stick must have been working with my HDR-FOX T2. Sorry that I created this post in the wrong forums. Should I start a new post in the HDR-FOX T2 forum? Or continue to use this one?

Basically the NTFS stick worked and since I reformatted it, it doesn't work. When I format in Windows, does it matter what the 'allocation unit size' is?

Last edited:
Thanks Martin for your reply. So my NTFS USB stick must have been working with my HDR-FOX T2. Sorry that I created this post in the wrong forums. Should I start a new post in the HDR-FOX T2 forum? Or continue to use this one?
Thread moved.
Basically the NTFS stick worked and since I reformatted it, it doesn't work. When I format in Windows, does it matter what the 'allocation unit size' is?
How did you reformat it? If with Windows, what version?

I suspect the UPD hasn't been formatted thoroughly enough to satisfy a non-Microsoft system. NTFS is proprietary to Microsoft - the specification has never been put into the public domain and any non-Microsoft system using NTFS is doing so by software that has been written by trial and error. Try formatting the UPD to NTFS as a fresh format, using a third party partition manager.

For more info see Things Every... (click) section 12.

Thanks guys for altering the thread tags and moving the post.

Thanks very much for the replies. :)

I formatted the USB stick on Windows 8.1 and when that didn't work, I tried Windows 7 too. I tried both quick format and full format.

I'll read Black Hole's info now. Thank you.

Thanks guys for altering the thread tags and moving the post.

Thanks very much for the replies. :)

I formatted the USB stick on Windows 8.1 and when that didn't work, I tried Windows 7 too. I tried both quick format and full format.

I'll read Black Hole's info now. Thank you.

When you formatted in Windows, there should be a drop down to allow you to choose File System. To use it with a Foxsat-HDR you must choose FAT32.

Back