One Pence?

Trev

The Dumb One
Now it really gets up my nose when people who should know a lot better say "one pence". The correct terminology is one penny as we all know as 'pence' is the plural of 'penny'.
However, what about fractions of a penny. Halfpenny is OK and used to be abbreviated to ha'pny. but what about decimal fractions. How should you terminate 0.01; pence? or penny?
0.01 pence sounds better to me, but surely must be wrong.

Discuss

Would "one New pence" be better?:)
Absolutely not:frantic:Check out the coin.

@Gomez. You might just have something there. :hug:But I thought that we were sticklers for precision an accuracy here, or am I posting in the wrong thread?

I suppose you could combine old terminology with new and call the one pence coin a 'nupenny bit' as the old threppeny bits are no longer around

I'm not sure when the re-wording took place, but a quick browse through my loose change revealed a 'New Penny' dated 1971 and a 'One Penny' dated 2001
EDIT
It changed in 1982

A 1p coin is a penny. Two 1p coins are two pennies. If you've got 2 pennies you can buy something that costs 2 pence.

As a monetary value, 0.02p seems pretty meaningless, but I suppose it could be used in accounting, in which case it would surely be 0.02 of a penny, or 0.02p ('pea' is acceptable in modern English as an abbreviation for both penny and pence in the sense of cost). However, if you cut a tiny piece off a 1p coin it might be 0.02 of a penny, but not 0.02 pence and not 0.02p.

Clearly the royal mint got confused in 1982. They probably don't understand apostrophes either. Wait a little: the 2015 2p coin will probably be stamped 'Two Pence's'.

through my loose change revealed a 'New Pence' dated 1971 and a 'One Pence' dated 2001
Are you telling me that there really was a one pence piece:frantic:I don't believe you

@ fenlander. If some items come at ten a penny, then the unit cost is 0.1pence. 15 - love

Come on now, I think you are taking the p.....
Even immediately post-decimalisation it cost 2p, now I think it's 20p.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Personally I would say "15p" and never "15 pence" or "15 new pennies" or any other variation.

I accept that it should have been 'one penny' rather than 'one pence' (now changed) although I don't find it as annoying as yourself. I think it may stem from the term ' a one pence piece' which doesn't seem right either, but maybe flows better than 'a one penny piece'. #7 was more to do with the removal of the word 'New'

'ey up Trev, was it raining in your neck of the woods this morning and you couldn't find owt to do? :D

No, but it was yesterday morning when I started this madness off:D to give Assume v Presume a break.

This is something which always irritates me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Who cares? All that tells me is that someone does not know how to use their shiny toy or likes to leave the designer label on their clothes flapping on the outside.

Back