Options for Domestic Wired Networking / Broadband

For total control over my email instead of ceding it to the likes of Google.

How is it any different? BT, Google, whatever. If you mean POP rather than IMAP, you can do that.
That wouldn't bother me, it's dealing with EE I don't want to do.
You never deal with EE, Plusnet pay EE as middleman. The same with Tesco mobile and O2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you missed the point:
So how do Google control your email, any more than BT? That was my point. You can turn off targeted ads if that worries you. You can download all emails and delete them on the server. Set up filtering rules. Forward email. You have a lot of control.

I think you're being naive. The "analysis" isn't limited to targeting ads. Google treat all content on their servers as belonging to them.

I think you're being naive. The "analysis" isn't limited to targeting ads. Google treat all content on their servers as belonging to them.
No, universities use gmail. They would never give IP to Google

But even if you were right, just download your emails as they arrive and delete the server copies. I bet that is an option.

Finally, if what you said were true, they would become liable for any criminal activity on their servers.

Protonmail is cheap, encrypted and private.

Phone line, evening and weekend calls, broadband (copper) with 10GB cap (suspended), mobile with 1,000 minutes and 4GB data included, and email address, comes in at £43.49
I pay about £40/month for anytime calls and FTTC broadband, but no mobile. (e-mail is included but I don't use it).
I could get it cheaper, but after years of sh*t from the usual suspects I went for quality of service instead. No regrets at all.

I think I just got £90 off my next 12 months bill (with a bit of compromise on inclusive stuff).

I don't think it was a negotiated discount as such, just choosing different options. But by ringing up for a new package instead of just letting it roll on, I have frozen the price for the next 24 months (with an inflation adjustment April 2022) instead of being subjected to an inflation adjustment at the end of this month.

They were willing to give me 10GB mobile for the same price (£10) but with unlimited minutes but I went for 3GB unlimited for £8. Those prices apply when bundled with broadband, and of course I still get my email free. Line+unlimited broadband £30 (no inclusive calls - I can avoid dialling out on the landline).

I will be hitting them for my broadband interruptions though!

Well, here's an odd one:
rxmargin.png
At 06:07 the noise margin goes up by a whopping 2.5dB from about 2.5 to about 5.0 then at exactly 09:00 drops down by about 0.7 and is currently 4.3dB.
This can only be a vast reduction in interference from something, but what, and at this time on a Sunday morning?
The spectrum display looks different to how it used to look too. I've held off doing a re-sync for now to see what, if anything, happens for the rest of today.
It almost looks like a different pair in use.

Does anyone know how long it takes to migrate from ADSL to VDSL? (Sorry BH - 1Mbps up is going to become 10Mbps!)
Mine's allegedly scheduled for tomorrow. The modem is hopefully configured correctly to switch seamlessly, as both ATM and PTM are enabled. It's an HG612 3B with CF (of course!), although I've only had it 6 days. Would probably have gone for a Vigor 130, except they seem to be unobtainable and are(were) a lot more money than what I paid on eBay.

Sorry BH - 1Mbps up is going to become 10Mbps!
1638817857179.jpeg
OpenReach have been fiddling with the cabinet near me, and the other end of the estate have "superfast available here" stickers on the cabinets... but I checked and I still don't have access!

Does anyone know how long it takes to migrate from ADSL to VDSL?
Never had ADSL here - went straight to VDSL due to the 6.5km of line to the exchange - but the ADSL should work up until the line is re-routed through your local VDSL cabinet by an OR tech. I'm typing this on a machine without access to my notes but AIRI the time my line was down wasn't that long - say an hour.

OpenReach have been fiddling with the cabinet near me, and the other end of the estate have "superfast available here" stickers on the cabinets... but I checked and I still don't have access!
Probably teaching to you to suck eggs here but I'd advise maximum pro-activity based on my own experience which went like this :-

2015 onwards - registered with OpenReach (OR) to be notified when fibre available. Checked repeatedly in years to follow.
xmas eve 2019 - arrived home to find commercial premises next door getting FTTP installed. Spoke to OR engineer and it turned out that other side of street had had FTTP for a couple of months already. Checked my ISP's (Plusnet) website to see if I could upgrade - not available. So, I let it ride for a bit as clearly the roll-out was underway.
March 2020 - became more critical as working from home and, coincidentally(?), finally got a notification from OR - 'FTTP is now available at your postcode' - so 3-5 months later than when it actually arrived. Checked Plusnet website - still no upgrade option so let it ride another month for them to catch up.
Start of May 2020 - still no upgrade option so I phoned Plusnet who told me 'Oh, It's only FTTP and we can't do that. If you want it you'll need to switch to BT' - which I did.
August 2020 - finally got FTTP after a false start in June when engineer came out to install and discovered it hadn't been surveyed correctly and OR hadn't actually extended the fibre to the pole that feeds my house.

So a right old mess from start to finish, a lot of chasing on my part and I probably could have had it 6-9 months earlier if OR had communicated in a timely fashion.

Checked Plusnet website - still no upgrade option
Had a similar experience a few years back with talktalk. Their checker said we couldn't have FTTC but BT's said we could. So we changed to BT for a year or so (until I got fed up with their service and moved to Zen).

Service has been faultless since installation ..... so far. Just scunnered me a bit that a BT subsidiary couldn't supply what BT could (for a higher price, of course).

Start of May 2020 - still no upgrade option so I phoned Plusnet who told me 'Oh, It's only FTTP and we can't do that. If you want it you'll need to switch to BT' - which I did.
I still have FTTP from Plusnet via a trial product but entry to the trial was closed long before May 2020. Earlier this year there was a press release from Plusnet saying they were going to be offering FTTP as a normal service but when I asked a month ago when this was likely to happen, I was told there was "No confirmed date yet".

Back