[qtube] Webif front end for youtube-dl

However look at post #74 . probably not many non coders are gonna get involved with.
What has that got to do with it? This is a discussion about the -o option... which is purely optional. All the general user needs to know to use to qtube is:
Just paste the URL of a web page containing the video you want to download into the URL entry box, and click "Run download in background"... and wait for the job to finish (monitor the process queue and/or qtube log).
...which gets you the best quality download available.

No need to relocate files with getiplayer either
Why not? If you've used get_iplayer, the download is on your PC not your HDR-FOX. If you mean you can access your PC across the network, or connect your PC to a TV, you are being deliberately disingenuous.

i have no problem with you using whatever you want; I will argue with your implication that qtube/youtube-dl is pointless.

first of all, I have not said or implied that dl is useless. you have assumed so but that's on you.

As a feature of the hdr is network access i see no disingenuity in accessing my download from my t2 at all. again, that's on you.

What has that got to do with it? This is a discussion about the -o option... which is purely optional. All the general user needs to know to use to qtube is:

...which gets you the best quality download available.
well, since the title of this thread is **-dl I thought the discussion was about it not some optional thing. that's why I was regaling myself imagining your attempts on the ipad. good to see that it is still simple.

I get it. However look at post #74 . probably not many non coders are gonna get involved with.

I would really like to see bhole have a go at that on his iPad.
#74 was really directed at Andrea whose post I was answering (and whose previous contributions indicated technical knowledge), and the qtube author. But even BH's iPad has some kind of JS-capable web browser that could run WebIF and WebShell, and telnet apps in its store, so you might be in luck.

But even BH's iPad has some kind of JS-capable web browser that could run WebIF and WebShell, and telnet apps in its store, so you might be in luck.
Of course I could... but I've never had much luck patching the code (regardless of what platform I'm working from), so I generally wait for the movie to come out. It is ridiculous to suggest that these (current) discussions are relevant to the casual user and a reason not to use qtube.

A target folder field will be on the wishlist for the next version of qtube (if I get a round tuit)

The aim of qtube is to be able to copy a url from one web page and paste it onto another webpage, click and forget until you want to watch the programme on your TV.
No need to invoke command window and enter commands or to transfer files between machines

I'm liking qtube and yoytube-dl, but

Rather than putting the downloaded files in the root of 'My Video', is it possible to direct them to default in to say, the folder representing where they have been downloaded from, so YouTube dowloads in to [ YouTube } and iplayer downloads in to [ iplayer ], after all, the url contains the hosting server

Please

Nice facility all the same, I can now watch easily and more comfortably reasonably long 'fixing it' type YouTube videos on my tv

How about a browser plugin, so that a right click drop-down menu appears with 'sent to qtube' or 'send to 'youtube-dl', now that would be nice

Possibly use the remote scheduling website as a stepping point

Rather than putting the downloaded files in the root of 'My Video', is it possible to direct them to default in to say, the folder representing where they have been downloaded from, so YouTube dowloads in to [ YouTube } and iplayer downloads in to [ iplayer ], after all, the url contains the hosting server
A target folder field will be on the wishlist for the next version of qtube (if I get a round tuit)

How about a browser plugin, so that a right click drop-down menu appears with 'sent to qtube' or 'send to 'youtube-dl', now that would be nice
What you are suggesting is not in the normal area of expertise - browser plugins are specific to the browser, and it is not clear how one could then have the browser plugin (which runs in the browser on your PC), which is active for the tab containing a media streaming website (such as BBC iPlayer) send the URL to the text field on another website (the qtube page on the WebIF running on your HDR-FOX).

What you could do, personally, is use a Windows macro recorder / automation app to program a particular keyboard combination to copy a URL, then open a link to qtube, select the text box, and paste it.

How? The RS website has no reference to iPlayer.

How? The RS website has no reference to iPlayer.
RS website doesn't need to know the original source, can you send the url that you are right clicking on and send that to RS, RS then gets the url, similar to the Humax and RS doing a sync, once RS has the url from the right click, RS syncs it next time to the Humax to be processed as an action and placed in a queue to be processed as apposed to be placed in a queue to do a recording

As the RS website is always on, but your Humax may be in standby, you may want to schedule a qtube event while away from where your Humax is located

When I first got my Humax HDR Fox T2, I had it set as a NAS box, file sharing between a Mac a PC laptop and my phone, I could store files instead of having to switch the other system on, it's just a thought, it may not be possible, but a brain storm may offer a glimmer of an idea

So what you are saying (but didn't, originally) is that you want RS to be able to send commands to qtube for actioning. That's rather different from giving a browser the ability to push a URL.

I think this joins a long list of "nice to haves", waiting for somebody with the right skills also to want those things so that they have the incentive to action them.

May be so, but surely someone said at some time, I'd like to get over that hill, but I'd rather not walk, we now have cars etc

If we don't have lists of [ nice to haves ], how are we going to end up being able to make the ideas happen

You push the url using the browser to RS, RS then pushes the url to your Humax, the RS to Humax bit already works for programme scheduling

Someone gave me a big stick with [ coding ], written on it, my mind is now working overtime

I'm liking qtube and yoytube-dl, but

As I might have hinted in another thread, you should now be able to use -o in the way that you originally tried.

You could use the output template field extractor, as in %(extractor)s, to specify an output folder using the extractor name (eg, bbc.co.uk). As that is just a Python string formatting command, you could also try %(extractor).3s and see if you get "bbc".

As I might have hinted in another thread, you should now be able to use -o in the way that you originally tried.
Could I trouble you for the version number the -o option now works as intended and are there any changed as to how the .conf file is edited

qtube is v0.1.0-1 and youtube-dl is v2020.02.16

Also installed, amongst others is auto-update which is v2.0.4

You have a sufficiently recent youtube-dl; qtube didn't need to be changed.

Some CF-specific -o processing was done in earlier versions of youtube-dl, in the /mod/bin/youtube script that qtube calls, and which provides the command-line interface to youtube-dl.

Now you can edit /mod/etc/youtube-dl.conf, or specify options for the qtube that will override that configuration, exactly as documented for the upstream package (also linked from the qtube page), except that the sections about the hierarchy of configuration files can be ignored, as the configuration file is specified directly by the script.

Last edited:

Unless you were wanting to schedule downloads while away from home there should be no need to involve RS. Within the home network the download request could be sent directly to the humax.

Planapple.com a travel planning website that I use (and recommend) has a 'Save to Planapple' bookmarklet which sits on the browser Bookmarks menu and allows any webpage to be saved into your travel plans (with comments). When first implementing qtube I considered using a similar approach but I opted for the copy and paste URL approach because it was quicker, simpler and didn't involve learning new tricks.

I have put the idea back on my todo list but it is much easier to put things onto the list than take them off again.

Unless you were wanting to schedule downloads while away from home there should be no need to involve RS. Within the home network the download request could be sent directly to the humax.
That's exactly what the OP is talking about.

That's exactly what the OP is talking about.
Is it? It is not clear in the original whether there is a specific need to do it away from home, it would substantially increase the complexity and therefore reduce the likelihood of it getting implemented.

you may want to schedule a qtube event while away from where your Humax is located
...but the OP is also citing a use-case where the 'FOX is in standby so the qtube request could be sent via the RS queue for next time the 'FOX is up.

The OP's problem is that having just discovered all the goodies in the treasure chest (instead of having followed their hard-won development), the OP is wondering why this and that hasn't been included. Like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Last edited:
Back