Beta [Real-time scheduling] schedule without rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope its nothing to do with the fact that DetectAds is running continuously, but failing because I dont have Content Sharing enabled (because that tends to crash the Humax i think due to DLNA conflicts with other devices on the network). I will try disabling detectads.
Hold your horses! I think it might be working now. I will know for sure in 15 mins or so. What have I done? Tried to record something not in 2 minutes time, but longer, switched RTS off and on again, & set Detectads to manual.

Hold your horses! I think it might be working now. I will know for sure in 15 mins or so. What have I done? Tried to record something not in 2 minutes time, but longer, switched RTS off and on again, & set Detectads to manual.
Well it it is now working.

Or it could have been because the Humax was in Standby? Will try again tomorrow using rs when not on the same network in case I've been fooling myself.

Thanks for the responses!

Well it it is now working.

Or it could have been because the Humax was in Standby? Will try again tomorrow using rs when not on the same network in case I've been fooling myself.

Thanks for the responses!
I wasnt using webif to schedule, only rs. Webif was just to check what was happening (as the wife was actually watching recordings whilst I was doing all this)

Or it could have been because the Humax was in Standby?
Err... Yes! Why did you think it could do anything while in standby?
the wife was actually watching recordings whilst I was doing all this
So it's not in standby then. The most direct evidence of whether RTS is up and running is the response of WebIF to scheduling a recording (or deleting a recording schedule).

Interaction with the RS web service is by the HDR-FOX rs package polling the web service; the web service can't reach into the HDR-FOX. If you want to make ad-hoc recordings via RS, you need to leave the HDR turned on - otherwise RS will be waiting for at least the half-awake state for the HDR to download any new instructions. Even when on, it only polls RS every ten minutes (as shown on RS by the "last seen" time).

Things Every... (click) section 18.

Last edited:
Err... Yes! Why did you think it could do anything while in standby?

So it's not in standby then. The most direct evidence of whether RTS is up and running is the response of WebIF to scheduling a recording (or deleting a recording schedule).

Interaction with the RS web service is by the HDR-FOX rs package polling the web service; the web service can't reach into the HDR-FOX. If you want to make ad-hoc recordings via RS, you need to leave the HDR turned on - otherwise RS will be waiting for at least the half-awake state for the HDR to download any new instructions. Even when on, it only polls RS every ten minutes (as shown on RS by the "last seen" time).

Things Every... (click) section 18.
Just read through the complete "Things Every..". Great resource, very complete, clear and simple. This from a retired IT (albeit traditional programming) professional.
So, Ok, it wasnt in standby. My testing involved rs-ing programmes some minutes in the future, and even up to 10 minutes got 'Event Passed'. But now I understand the mechanism is that the Humax polls the web server, every 10 minutes or so, subsequent testing with more distant programmes shows its working fine.

Final (hopefully) question is how to ensure it will always record things whilst we are away for a few days (which we do frequently), either set before we go, or with rs whilst away?
  • Avoid standby - is it enough just to set both Power Management options to off?
  • EPG uptodate - set a reminder for 20 mins early morning
  • Use rs at least 15 mins before the program starts

I hope its nothing to do with the fact that DetectAds is running continuously, but failing because I dont have Content Sharing enabled (because that tends to crash the Humax i think due to DLNA conflicts with other devices on the network). I will try disabling detectads.
It has absolutely nothing to do with Detectads and Content Sharing - that is a totally separate problem that you need to address.
Do you have the dlna-filter package installed? Its stated purpose is Filters out DLNA server network traffic to prevent other DLNA servers from crashing the Humax.
If you still have problems after installing that package start a new thread to discuss that problem.

Instant scheduling is only available when using the webif, there is always some delay when using RS - the server is only polled for new requests every few minutes when the box is not in standby.
Note: RS (&EPG) updates do take place when the box is recording in half-awake standby mode, Decryption cant take place in half awake

Last edited:
Final (hopefully) question is how to ensure it will always record things whilst we are away for a few days (which we do frequently), either set before we go, or with rs whilst away?
Are you so disorganised you can't decide what to record before you go? This only strikes me as a problem if you are away for more than a week.

• Avoid standby - is it enough just to set both Power Management options to off?
My machines are on 24/7. Power saving in standby is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is automatic power down, which turns it off if there is no user input in three hours.

• EPG uptodate - set a reminder for 20 mins early morning
Only necessary if you are going away for more than a week. You also need a channel change periodically (or the epgfix package).

You may find these instructive:

• Use rs at least 15 mins before the program starts
Again, this sounds like panic measures. Why wouldn't you know you wanted to record something plenty of time in advance?

Yes, RS is handy for when you forget to set something and you're out, but surely that's the less common scenario?!

Last edited:
It can also be useful to connect the Humax to a timeswitch to force a daily reboot at an idle time in case you suffer one of the random hangs or crashes that occasionally occur

So what is the main purpose of RS then BH?
Scheduling when away, sure (and, as you know, it has facilities beyond local scheduling so I use it even though I'm rarely away), but are you always in a panic to record a programme? As long as you plan sufficiently ahead that there will be a check-in between scheduling (via RS) and the actual broadcast, there is no problem leaving the 'Fox in standby.

We are quite well organised, and normally manage to set up all recordings we want, days in advance. But sometimes we want to record 3 or even 4 overlapping programmes - well there are 2 of us. We do have a second Humax, but it is at our weekend cottage (lucky us), so rs is the perfect solution.

Well, there you are then. Program the remote Humax to wake up once or twice a day, put in a time switch to interrupt its power briefly while it is supposed to be asleep anyway, and make sure you update RS at least a day in advance. Job done.

Scheduling when away, sure (and, as you know, it has facilities beyond local scheduling so I use it even though I'm rarely away), but are you always in a panic to record a programme? As long as you plan sufficiently ahead that there will be a check-in between scheduling (via RS) and the actual broadcast, there is no problem leaving the 'Fox in standby.
it seems that your modus operandi is the same as mine and as such there is hardly any need for using the non reliant rts. hmmm, I could bet that you may have exhibited a different sentiment previously.

I use RTS because my units are always on! I don't find RTS any less reliable than any other mode.

using the non reliant rts
One failure in 2.5 years for BH and very few for other users makes RTS Highly reliable in my view and far more reliable than the basic Humax which is prone to hangs and crashes for no discernible reason

One failure in 2.5 years for BH and very few for other users makes RTS Highly reliable in my view and far more reliable than the basic Humax which is prone to hangs and crashes for no discernible reason
I do get it. however, rs I've been using is TOTALLY reliable which in my book is greater than highly reliable rts.

Last night I had the 'Occasionally a recording will just keep going past the time it should have stopped' bug.

Is there anyway to lower the chance of this happening?

Black Hole, does it ever happen to you? I'm wondering if keeping my Humax on 24/7 would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back