reception problems

came in from the pub on saturday night and the tv reception was blocky, retuned, automatic, and it picked up only the hd channels and a few others. tried manual retune and it only appears to tune into those channels on mux 41, any clues??

i use the hdr-fox t2, at least ten year old aerial, into the unit via a powered booster, then into tv

sheffield, off emley moor.

also have talktalk huawei box which i havent retuned, still has all the original channels, but most of them are unwatchable, or will not display at all

is it possible for an aerial to just 'go', seems like the root of the problem to me, as there dont appear to be any transmitter problems

will it be a new digital aerial as the solution, and approx how much are these to be fitted to a three story house?

cheers

There is unlikely to be a problem with the aerial as such, but it could be blown to point the wrong way, the connections to the cable could be corroded or loose, or the aerial cable itself could get damp inside or a split in the sheath result in internal corrosion. The first port of call however, would be the booster.

i checked the signal strength on the settings menu, the one with just the muxes that are picked up and they all said 100% again

have now auto scanned and it seems to be hunky dory again, typically this was just two mins after i'd spent a tenner on a new booster on ebay!! oh well!!

will let you know how it does

thanks for reply

having checked, not all channels are there after all, it seems to have picked up 5 of the 7 muxes i can pick up here in s8​
its got all the essential channels anyway​
got a feeling that switching it off/on may have helped as i was trying to update the firmware to .32 as recommended for better tuning, failed miserably on two USB sticks, both of which i've used before to update. tried front and rear sockets too​

That bothers me too. You should be aiming for a signal strength over about 40% but not greater than 99%, and quality 100%.

i meant quality sorry, signal strength about 40%. last time i tried i could get no signal at all without the booster, recently i switched it off by mistake and everything vanished. its also a splitter, so not sure if the splitting facility would work without power. i could try, but i dont think i can be bothered, will wait til the new one arrives and test again with and without at the weekend. will report back then ok?

i've managed to update FW to 102.32 and have rescanned once again, all 7 muxes are there now again, very odd!! lots of duplicates, despite selecting yorkshire, over south yorkshire when region was requested

cheers for all replies once again

i thought the FW i added was meant to sort this out?? is there also some CW that can help to weed these out, not that its much of a problem anyway i guess?

channeldel might do it, there was talk of an update to make 800+ a selectable group for removal.

Is there any news on 4G disruption yet? I know you had to be close to a mast and far from a transmitter and possibly be using a signal booster to get problems, but has anyone actually had problems yet?

IIRC my highest channel number is 58, so I hope I won't be affected (as long as there is not a 4G transmitter too close).

damn its happened again, all the minor channels seem to have become blocky after a rescan and on 4 muxes the the quality's down to 10% with strength of 30%ish. the HD channels were the first to go again, but a rescan seems to have restored them, except bbc4HD which i've never been able to receive.

i've tried switching everything off, which seemed to work last time, the weather has been awfu;, really windy, but the aerial seems to be intact still

oh well, another saturday morning wasted trying to sort this out

damn its happened again, all the minor channels seem to have become blocky after a rescan and on 4 muxes the the quality's down to 10% with strength of 30%ish. the HD channels were the first to go again, but a rescan seems to have restored them, except bbc4HD which i've never been able to receive.

i've tried switching everything off, which seemed to work last time, the weather has been awfu;, really windy, but the aerial seems to be intact still

oh well, another saturday morning wasted trying to sort this out
Signal strength is about 85% here on the Sheffield transmitter. We are only a mile West of it though. All 6 muxes are about the same. Quality 100% on all 6.

If you are receiving from the Sheffield transmitter you won't get BBC4 HD until some time in 2014.

cheers for replies, i can usually get emley moor and sheffield here

just done another rescan this time selecting south yorkshire, i now have four very good muxes, 21, 44, 47 and 48. the quality is 100% on all except 48 which flickers between 80-90%.

i assume that 21 is the equivalent of 41 as thats 100% too for the HD channels if i manually scan this. on muxes 51 and 52 the quality is only 10% and therefore it will not pick up any channels on these

on the youview box, on channel 10 for instance, the quality is 74% with the same 30% signal strength, very odd indeed.

have tried using a different coax port on the signal booster with no difference

i'm at a loss now??

Back