Redring - development and beta testing.

Interesting debate, and I'm not averse to adding some options to the package so that it can be tuned to people's liking (I'm not going to add and maintain too many but at least an option to control whether the dim blue is ever shown and one for the brightness of the red when recording in standby).

I've just read three pages of posts so apologies if I don't respond to your point below..

Just looking at my box recording in standby and I think that perhaps the Red is a bit too bright, could this be turned down a bit so that it is still brighter than the dull Orange, but not quite as bright as it is now.

Yes, that's possible. At the moment it is the same brightness level as the Humax uses in powered-on record mode (98.8% for some reason). My feeling about the brightness varies depending on whether I'm looking at it during the day or in the evening. At the moment I can barely tell that mine has an orange ring on it. That is probably something that should be an option but could even by time dependent...

@af123: you seem to have found a way to read back the icon drive register?

No, I can't find one. The new redring actually hooks itself into the communication stream from the Humax software to the front panel so that it can see and then optionally block or augment the commands en route.

I'm not sure there are these two different states, When would the Humax be in the 'half-on doing nothing' state and not standby
The 04:30 maintenance boot when it creates thumbnails, locks recordings which have a guidance rating (if configured) and looks for an OTA. I'm pretty sure this is why Brian's two boxes were blue this morning (the next version will fix that though).

Waiting for the next recording. I assume if 2 recordings had 20 mins gap that it would not turn off for 5 mins then back on again. Or maybe it would.

Yes, it would turn off.

...but both now have the HDD usage indication icon as well as the clock and timer icon. What does this indicate?, does it suggest HDD activity?

It's just disk space usage, there are three icons that it can display denoting low, mid and high usage (and a FULL icon which presumably comes on when the disk is full but that's a guess). That must be normal as I'm not affecting that process.

Oh no, we're not adding a power saving on/off debate to the AR/padding one are we? :eek:
(I use AR + power saving + a tweak that turns the clock back on and increases the clock brightness on shutdown)

af123 :- half-on doing nothing = The 04:30 maintenance boot

I wouldn't use the word geek, as I find this it is usually used by someone to describe someone else with a different view / interest to their own, However providing a LED mode that would only be displayed between 4:30 and 4:45AM is probably a ‘minority demand’ feature

af123 :- a FULL icon which presumably comes on when the disk is full

I think this refers to Full Resolution V-Format

I wouldn't use the word geek, as I find this it is usually used by someone to describe someone else with a different view / interest to their own, However providing a LED mode that would only be displayed between 4:30 and 4:45AM is probably a ‘minority demand’ feature

Blame Black Hole who is a geek (according to him!) for bringing in the geek word lol.

Well so far this version seems to be working properly for me, apart from the Blue ring in the morning which should be fixed in the next version according to af123.:)

I've uploaded version 0.99-1 (not quite 1.0 yet).
  • Should fix the stuck-in-blue condition;
  • Should show dim blue whenever in part boot state (even if you start/stop/start with the remote when it's waiting for AR);
  • Some options in web interface settings (see below).
Not in the repository yet, so:
Code:
humax# opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/test/redring_0.99-1_mipsel.opk

redring.png

I have installed this on one of my boxes, the other one can wait until tomorrow.:)

My first recording is due to start in a few minutes, my ring is already Blue. I am trying 50% brightness for the Red and will see how it looks.

Edit: Has started Recording and ring has gone Red

50% looks quite good, and about the same as the normal powered up Red ring after it has auto-dimmed.

Both boxes are recording in standby now, one running 0.99 with full brightness Red and the other updated to 0.99-1 with 50% brightness Red which does look better to me, however I think that I will try reducing it further tomorrow, perhaps down to 40% and see what that is like.:)

Nice to be able to do the side-by-side comparison!
It's a shame it isn't quick to try different values.
Now, what can we use bright orange for?

Nice to be able to do the side-by-side comparison!
It's a shame it isn't quick to try different values.
Now, what can we use bright orange for?
50% is still surprisingly bright but without the glare of full brightness, do you know the approx value of the standard dim Orange?
You could confuse people by using bright Orange for fully powered on status, and keep on theme by using bright Blue to signify the AR pre-record monitoring state when fully powered on. So if you were watching live TV or playing a recording, the ring would be bright Orange, but would turn bright Blue before a recording was due to start, and go bright Red when the recording starts. I quite often stop playback to make sure that a recording has actually started, and then resume playback once I am happy that it has started.

First recording has just finished and the ring has gone to dull Orange. It will be interesting to see if this updated box still has an Orange ring tomorrow morning, and the other has a Blue ring.

The 04:30 maintenance boot when it creates thumbnails, locks recordings which have a guidance rating (if configured) and looks for an OTA.

Does that mean killing the OTA check will also stop those other housekeeping tasks?? :eek:

Back