Redring - development and beta testing.

Thanks for all the testing Brian. I'm not sure why you had the stray icons or missing boot message but I'll investigate further when I'm back next week. It seems like the package is getting fairly close so hopefully I can work out these remaining niggles and get it officially released soon.
Yes it seems strange that the stray icons were only on one box, but the missing Start System message affected both boxes. These issues have not happened again since removing redring.

I would certainly like to try it again if these can be sorted out.

New to all this! Installed redring as per page 8 of this thread. All seemed fine until I tried to begin watching program after recording had started. The recording started from 'deep sleep', and when trying switch on to watch, there is no tv output? (Green Screen). It was not possible to use Humax until recording had been completed. Before installing redring I was always able to start watching when recording was in progress. Could you please offer workaround or show how to remove redring (reverse of page 8) - do I simply replace 'install' with 'uninstall'?

New to all this! Installed redring as per page 8 . . .

It is unlikely that green screen is due to redring, It has been reported that green screen HDMI handshaking failure occurs when switching on from standby if the Humax is recording with the standard Humax firmware running. Normally uninstalling would be carried out using the Web-If screen but the software you loaded was for test purposes only, I have not tried an uninstall for this package, But I would guess that it would require 'remove' without the link to the software e.g.

Code:
opkg remove redring_0.99-1
or
Code:
opkg remove redring

This problem only occurred after installing Redring test (Page 10, not 8 - sorry). I often arrive late and miss the program start - up to now I have always been able to wake the Humax and go to the start of the program while it is still recording - chase viewing. Now, as I say, the Humax is 'dead' as far as tv is concerned and not able to get tv output until recording has completed and Humax brought out of it's 'sleep', or whatever state is is in whilst recording.

When the Humax is taken out of standby it has to initialise the way it talks over the HDMI cable to the TV (Scart is not affected) if it fails to talk to the TV you get green screen, It has been reported as not working at all or working intermittantly with some TV's usually when recording in standby, However if your set-up worked and doesn't work after redring that's pretty concusive, You probably only need the second line above but if you do need to specify the version number (line 1) I have changed it to include 0.99-1 (from page 10)

New to all this! Installed redring as per page 8 of this thread. All seemed fine until I tried to begin watching program after recording had started. The recording started from 'deep sleep', and when trying switch on to watch, there is no tv output? (Green Screen). It was not possible to use Humax until recording had been completed. Before installing redring I was always able to start watching when recording was in progress. Could you please offer workaround or show how to remove redring (reverse of page 8) - do I simply replace 'install' with 'uninstall'?
You can uninstall redring from the webif package management as usual, and reboot the box afterwards.

You can remove it via the web interface package management or using Ezra's second command line above.
Like Ezra, I'd be surprised if redring was the culprit for the HDMI issue as it doesn't touch anything related to it. Intermittent or occasional HDMI problems resulting in a green screen are often reported here and, although the latest version of the firmware made it better for some people, for others it made it worse. I think Sony TVs are the most mentioned.

If you are willing, it would be useful to prove that this is a result of the redring package by trying with and without it a couple of times to see.

Edit: It's my turn to wish I had typed faster : )

Well, what do you know!! - It's worked for the first time????
11:20 set Humax to record at 11:45 - set to standby - Orange ring
11:30 Blue ring - turned off tv (Sharp LC32CT2E) - to ensure it has forgotten previous HDMI handshake
11:45 Recording starts
11:50 TV on, Humax on and I am able to watch from start - I don't believe it!
I will leave Redring installed and wait for next failure before returning to this thread.
Thank you all for your interest. (Isn't 15 minutes a long time when you are watching rings!)

Oh yes : ) - I'll have a new update for redring in the next day or two with some more features. I also took the plunge and went green last night - that was more involved than I had expected.
I look forward to trying it.:) I went green with one of my boxes a while ago, and also found it involved a lot more effort than I expected. It took me around 30 minutes to do altogether and involved quite a lot of dismantling and removing lots of screws. The end result is well worth it though.:D I need to pluck up the courage to tackle my second box some time.

Still not out of the woods yet! Set to record Dad's Army at 6:30 this evening. Ring dim blue at t-15minutes, but no change to red. Switched on to confirm that recording had started on time - ring now red, and stayed red after putting back in standby. Eagerly awaiting next release. (Hopefully with purple for second recording?)

The next version isn't ready yet, but here's a screenshot of the new options screen as a taster:

redring2.png

: ) - I'm doing some final tests on it this weekend - there are a lot of options and transitions to test and it takes a long time to work through them.
If you want another tester I would be happy to oblige.

Back