Redring - development and beta testing.

Af123 could you check the Wiki info. HERE, I'm not sure about the LED brightness

The waiting to record blue level is 25%, I've updated it.
Do you think it could benefit from an extra column before the new behaviour one that shows the default Humax behaviour for comparison?

First recording has just finished and the ring has gone to dull Orange. It will be interesting to see if this updated box still has an Orange ring tomorrow morning, and the other has a Blue ring.
Well, mine was orange when I left home at 5am!

Both boxes now have 0.99-1 installed with Red brightness set at 39% (I set it at 40% but after rebooting it had changed to 39%).
I have set a couple of test timers on each and placed them in standby with different results see below,

Box 1 standby: Orange ring + clock display + timer icon
Box 2 standby: Orange ring + clock display + timer icon + TV icon + HD icon

Both boxes have just part woken up pre AR still with different results see below,

Box 1 AR part awake: Blue ring + clock display + timer icon + HDD usage icon
Box 2 AR part awake: Orange ring + clock display + timer icon + HDD usage icon + TV icon + HD icon + FULL icon

Both boxes have started recording still with different results see below,

Box 1 recording: Red ring + clock display + timer icon + HDD usage icon + REC icon
Box 2 recording: Red ring + clock display + timer icon + HDD usage icon + REC icon + TV icon + HD icon + FULL icon

So Box 1 seems normal, but Box 2 for some reason does not.
I should point out that Box 2 had 0.99-1 installed yesterday, and Box 1 had 0.99-1 installed this morning.
The humaxtv.log seems to be identical for both boxes, so no clues there.

I suspect this is the effect of rounding to the bit resolution actually available to twiddle the LED.
Yes, brightness is actually out of 255 but the Humax software don't use over 252 so I don't either. The percentage is converted by multipliying by 2.52 and then truncating down to the integer part.

I once worked with a systems engineer who was visually impared, and he couldn't understand the hardware departments desire to put LEDs all over the place to see what the hell's going on!

Both boxes have finished test recordings mentioned in post #206 and were in the state below,

Box 1 standby: Orange ring + clock display + timer icon + HDD usage icon
Box 2 standby: Orange ring + clock display + timer icon + HDD usage icon + TV icon + HD icon + FULL icon

Bringing the boxes out of standby, there was no "START SYSTEM" on the front panel display of either box, but a further reboot has brought this back.

Do you think it could benefit from an extra column before the new behaviour one that shows the default Humax behaviour for comparison?

I have added text to show before and after redring, If it gets more complicated in the future I will add another column

I am using the sequence:

orange (standby) > 39% red (recording in standby) > orange (standby)

for scheduled recordings. This is working correctly.

I use AR + Low Power so have a nice black front. I never have any need to look at the indicators so cannot comment on their status.

I don't use the light blue (waiting to record) because I am usually not there to see any change and in any case do not need to know. If for some reason I do need to know (such as during testing), I just select the Humax TV output. No output = standby.

I don't have a need for an indicator to show two recordings are taking place. However, if one was available, I would use it out of interest.

My Humax is used purely for time-shifting and hopefully for some viewing/scheduling whilst travelling abroad and in the UK.

My next travel start on Saturday 10th, so, when I return in May I will know how successful all the help I have had has been.

Many thanks af123 and the others for your efforts and patience.

Following the results of my testing yesterday morning, I decided to uninstall redring from my boxes, and they have returned to normal behaviour.

Having used a %age of red to indicate recording in standby (no prior blue), I have found it difficult to differentiate between recording in standby and recording when 'on', no matter what low %age I tried.

I have decided to use the blue (about to record) and for recording in standby, 80% red. I realised I don't need to know if it was in standby or not, just the fact that it was recording so any obvious red is fine for me. I suppose I don't really need the blue but as it is there..........

I suppose before I return there will be more changes to redring but I hope it is not dropped, in fact I will download the file just in case it is :)

Just a thought: following the "off" command (either front panel button or RC) the standard LED sequence goes from bright blue to (briefly) dim blue to dim orange, there then follows a period of time before the box actually goes to standby and turns the drives off. Is there any possibility of extending the dim blue period so that the LED ring doesn't turn orange until a few milliseconds before actual standby?

This would be consistent with the "dim blue because I'm half awake but not recording yet" interpretation, and also give a positive indication of when you can reboot for a warm start reset.

Why not the current dull orange while in standby, but go to bright orange while waiting to record, if the blue is confusing people.

What I would like to see is go to purple if recording two programs while the unit is fully on, instead of just red. That way I can see when one of the two programs recoding has stopped and I can go back to radio, without ending up with the racket from Radio 1.

... Is there any possibility of extending the dim blue period so that the LED ring doesn't turn orange until a few milliseconds before actual standby?

That's what the package already does, if you leave the 'use blue' option enabled.

Following the results of my testing yesterday morning, I decided to uninstall redring from my boxes, and they have returned to normal behaviour.
Thanks for all the testing Brian. I'm not sure why you had the stray icons or missing boot message but I'll investigate further when I'm back next week. It seems like the package is getting fairly close so hopefully I can work out these remaining niggles and get it officially released soon.

Back