Redring - development and beta testing.

Ok, here's the latest test version which has the set of options posted above.

Code:
humax# opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/test/redring_0.99-3_mipsel.opk

Still a test version but if you're willing to help test then please do, thanks!
You'll need to reboot after installing or upgrading for it to take effect.

I have just installed this on one of my boxes to start with, the one that had the extra icons displayed last time.

Just installed, and I like the idea of the seeing the clock any chance, you can see both the clock and the channel name?
Unfortunately not. The clock display is handled independently by the front panel so redring just tells it to start displaying a clock and intercepts any screen scrolling. You still see things on the display briefly when changing channel etc. and with a long scrolling name you will see the programme name flash up at the start of each scroll cycle but that's all.

I added the option because I was used to having an on-screen clock on my last Sony TV and miss it on my new one. I almost never watch live TV so I know what I'm watching and don't need the original scrolling display and would rather have the clock there semi-permanently.

Just a quick question, does the "Standby recording brightness" level also apply to the dual recording Purple?

Unfortunately not. The clock display is handled independently by the front panel so redring just tells it to start displaying a clock and intercepts any screen scrolling. You still see things on the display briefly when changing channel etc. and with a long scrolling name you will see the programme name flash up at the start of each scroll cycle but that's all.

I added the option because I was used to having an on-screen clock on my last Sony TV and miss it on my new one. I almost never watch live TV so I know what I'm watching and don't need the original scrolling display and would rather have the clock there semi-permanently.

cheers AF, just thought i would ask as I will be asking the "One" that must be consulted before changes are made tomorrow, and I know I will be asked if you could have both, so I thought I would pre-empt the question!

I have set a staggered dual recording test to start at 11:30 and 11:40 to see the transitions, and I also want to check for stray icons displayed, and also to check that the START SYSTEM message is present on powering up after the recordings have finished.

Edit: At 11:14 pm Orange ring went Blue
Edit: At 11:31 pm First recording started but ring remained Blue
Edit: At 11:44 pm Second recording started and Blue ring has gone Purple
Edit: At 12:16 am First recording has finished and Purple ring has gone Red
Edit: At 12:59 am Second recording has finished and Red ring has gone Blue, then Orange a few seconds later.

Edit: 1:05 am Box brought out of standby complete with START SYSTEM message.:)

Oh great - how come it works every time on mine?!
Any chance your box is still on so you can grab the humaxtv.log before it's lost?

Here is the relevant part of humaxtv.log

Code:
Redring: power-off dim detected.
Redring: ring trying to go amber.
        changing to blue.
DRV_DSC_Init_Begin
SIOCDELRT failed , ret->-1
Redring: REC icon on.
        system is in standby.
        changing to dim blue.
Redring: recording start 17:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/The Review Show_20120310_2331.nts'
        recording 1
Redring: recording start 23:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/The Football League Show_20120310_2344.nts'
        recording 2
        changing to purple.

Edit: The part

Redring: REC icon on.
system is in standby.
changing to dim blue.

does not seem right.

Thanks - that explains it. On my box the recording icon is always set after the recording starts. On yours it was the other way around, the operations must be done by different threads.

(Here's mine from earlier for reference)

Code:
Redring: recording start 19:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/Medical Emergency_20120310_2030.nts'
         recording 1
Redring: REC icon on
Redring: recording start 23:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/Top Gear_20120310_2038.nts'
         recording 2
         changing to purple.

I've just uploaded version 0.99-3 that removes the assumption - you can update it with the same install command as before, but with a -3 in it (I'll update the previous post)

The first recording is due to finish at 12:15 am so I wonder if the ring will go Red then? I will update post #250 with the results. I will be staying online and monitoring this test until the second recording has finished at around 1:00 am.

The first recording is due to finish at 12:15 am so I wonder if the ring will go Red then? I will update post #250 with the results. I will be staying online and monitoring this test until the second recording has finished at around 1:00 am.
Yes, it should go red when the first recording finishes. I miss children's TV when testing late at night. It's much easier with 5 minute programmes : )

Thanks - that explains it. On my box the recording icon is always set after the recording starts. On yours it was the other way around, the operations must be done by different threads.

(Here's mine from earlier for reference)

Code:
Redring: recording start 19:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/Medical Emergency_20120310_2030.nts'
        recording 1
Redring: REC icon on
Redring: recording start 23:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/Top Gear_20120310_2038.nts'
        recording 2
        changing to purple.

I've just uploaded version 0.99-3 that removes the assumption - you can update it with the same install command as before, but with a -3 in it (I'll update the previous post)
OK, I will upgrade when my current test has finished.

Another slight oddity after installing earlier, redring settings in webif had brightness on 39% (which is what I had it on for the previous version), but after rebooting it came back with this set on 38%. would it be feasible / preferable to have the brightness setting defined as a number from say 1 to 10 (or however many different levels are possible) rather than use % numbers?

I miss children's TV when testing late at night. It's much easier with 5 minute programmes : )
It's harder for me, as I only have the four HD channels tuned into my boxes so have less programmes to chose from for testing purposes.:)

Another slight oddity after installing earlier, redring settings in webif had brightness on 39% (which is what I had it on for the previous version), but after rebooting it came back with this set on 38%. would it be feasible / preferable to have the brightness setting defined as a number from say 1 to 10 (or however many different levels are possible) rather than use % numbers?
Yes, I think some simpler system would be in order for the settings page. As far as I can tell, there are 255 levels and you can create quite a nice pulsing effect if you're prepared to keep sending a stream of commands to the panel..

Can't keep up with you guys! I go out for the evening and miss all the fun! Have removed 0.99-1 via Wiki but now unable to install 0.99-2 - Need some sleep. Trying to get to grips with this Linux talk, and finding it hard going. Can't find humaxtv.log? - now I see you are already at 0.99-3 - HELP

Back