Redring - development and beta testing.

Forgot to mention, if you currently have undelete installed, you will need to upgrade it before this package will install.

I have just installed this on one of my boxes and rebooted it, and noticed that this time there is no "redring.log", but redring does get mentioned in "humaxtv.log" which I have copied and included the relevant part below.

Code:
>>> Contents of /var/log/humaxtv.log 1.60 KiB
-------------------------------------
Initialising Redring v0.99
Redring: got TTY output fd = 8
Initialising Dustbin v1.0
Dustbin debug: 1
Dustbin media root: /mnt/hd2/My Video/
Dustbin path: /mnt/hd2/My Video/[Recycle Bin]
route: SIOCADDRT: File exists
Redring: ring going blue, full boot.
DRV_DSC_Init_Begin
SIOCDELRT failed , ret->-1
OCON | initialising controller
Restore reminders from file failed
Persist reminders to file failed

Does this look OK ?

Yes, 1.3 is fine. Any lower than that and redring will just refuse to install (albeit with an obscure error message).

The log looks fine, yes redring now logs into the humaxtv.log file.

btw, is anyone interested in being able to stop the Humax display from scrolling when it has a lot of text to display? I have a working package called scrollstop but it doesn't co-exist with redring - I could add the scroll stop as an option to redring if it's of interest.

btw, is anyone interested in being able to stop the Humax display from scrolling when it has a lot of text to display? I have a working package called scrollstop but it doesn't co-exist with redring - I could add the scroll stop as an option to redring if it's of interest.
I would be interested in changing what the Humax display shows if that is possible. I would like to do away with the name of the programme being watched, and replace it with the word Play alongside a countdown of the remaining time with a - before the numbers, although some people might like the elapsed time.

PLAY -01:00

The display already shows PLAY before the name and time start scrolling.

I have installed 0.99 on my second box which was at the time in it's AR pre record stage so I was unable to give it a proper reboot, so consequently it hasn't worked yet, and does not appear in the humaxtv.log, although the box has started recording as expected. I will have to let the recording finish and then reboot it to complete it's installation.

My first test recording has just started with the dull Orange ring going to dull Blue at AR wake up, then going bright Red when the recording had started.

Code:
>>> Contents of /var/log/humaxtv.log 610.00 bytes
Initialising Redring v0.99
Redring: got TTY output fd = 8
Initialising Dustbin v1.0
Dustbin debug: 1
Dustbin media root: /mnt/hd2/My Video/
Dustbin path: /mnt/hd2/My Video/[Recycle Bin]
route: SIOCADDRT: File exists
killall: tinyftp: no process killed
Redring: ring trying to go amber.
Redring: part boot detected, changing to blue.
DRV_DSC_Init_Begin
SIOCDELRT failed , ret->-1
Redring: REC icon on.
Redring: system is in standby.
Redring: changing to red.

The humaxtv.log shows the redring events.

Edit: The recording has finished and the ring has gone dull Orange. The rest of the humaxtv.log can be seen below.

Code:
Redring: REC icon off.
Redring: system is in standby.
Redring: changing to amber.

For those willing to test the next version it can be installed from the command line:

Code:
humax# opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/test/redring_0.99_mipsel.opk

As I said earlier, I've taken a different approach now because the other one was getting far too complicated and turned out to carry a risk of missing recordings even though it had run on my box for a week without problems(!)

The main feature of this one is to turn the LED ring red when the box is in standby and is recording. It also turns the LED ring dim blue when the box wakes up ready to record (AR mode).

(If the box wakes up into AR mode and then you turn it on and off again using the remote, so that it ends up back in standby, the ring will go orange again but will still turn red once the recording begins).

So, the redring AR mode sequence every time is orange (standby) > dim blue (ready to record) > red (recording) > orange (standby). unless it is due to continue with a record in which case it stays red (recording), or if a recording is due it will change to blue (ready to record).

When dim blue (ready to record) it is accessible via webIF but no TV output.

The sequence now never goes from orange (standby) > red (recording).

My question if the above is correct - why have blue (ready to record) if in AR mode? Why not go straight from orange (ready to record) > red (recording)?

The ring being blue in the Humax software is used to show the box is fully 'on'. Changing that would lead to confusion.

I have set up an AR mode recording and it has followed the orange > blue > red sequence.

After my test recording had finished (see post #149 above) the box didn't go into full standby as another recording was due to start within the next 15 mins. This recording has now started and the ring has gone bright Red again, so far so good.:)

Just looking at my box recording in standby and I think that perhaps the Red is a bit too bright, could this be turned down a bit so that it is still brighter than the dull Orange, but not quite as bright as it is now.

why have blue (ready to record) if in AR mode? Why not go straight from orange (ready to record) > red (recording)?

What's the alternative? If it went from orange to red at AR wake-up time, that wouldn't be when it actually started recording. If it went from orange to red at record time, there would be nothing to show it had woken up ready to monitor the AR flags. This is all about us geeks being able to see the progress from one state to another!

Code:
Redring: REC icon off.

@af123: you seem to have found a way to read back the icon drive register?

What's the alternative? If it went from orange to red at AR wake-up time, that wouldn't be when it actually started recording. If it went from orange to red at record time, there would be nothing to show it had woken up ready to monitor the AR flags. This is all about us geeks being able to see the progress from one state to another!

@af123: you seem to have found a way to read back the icon drive register?

So the geek sees a blue ring - how does he/she know it is about to record or is just 'on'? Perhaps if they were constantly monitoring it that would be fine but in every-day use you just need to know if it is recording imo. I thought that was the original requirement and the purple was a bonus.

EDIT:

quote from original post in this thread:

"It has been a commonly requested feature to be able to see when a recording is in progress. I've read that early versions of the firmware did change the LED ring colour when recording in standby but that this was subsequently removed."

That's the whole point, When it's blue it's not recording, It's waiting to record, it won't be blue unless 1) It's waiting to record or 2) You forgot to put it into standby
EDIT
Blue always gives the same message, I'm on and I'm not recording

That's the whole point, When it's blue it's not recording, It's waiting to record

But unless you actually know what it's state should be, it could also be 'on' and not waiting to record.

EDIT: I would suggest a mute purple for standby/about to record.

orange > purple > red > orange, has readily understood meanings for 'non geek' users who are the majority ;)

Although I still don't see the need for a standby/about to record indicator unless you are a geek.

The need for 'waiting to record' is the same as 'recording in standby' as far as I'm concerned e.g. is it safe to remove power from the Humax. As far as the colour goes the argument against using purple (I guess) is that af123 may be reserving it for a possible return of Recording X2 at some time in the future

The need for 'waiting to record' is the same as 'recording in standby' as far as I'm concerned e.g. is it safe to remove power from the Humax. As far as the colour goes the argument against using purple (I guess) is that af123 maybe reserving it for a possible return of Recording X2 at some time in the future

If anyone was about to remove power from the Humax would they not a) be aware if recordings were scheduled and b) if they were, would they not first use the remote to turn it on to check if the recordings were due before they were to power the box up again? Or, check via the webIF facility.

If there was a standby/waiting to record indictation and you wanted to turn the power off you must wait until the recording is finished and then, unless you check, you may lose the next recording which is due to start and has not yet been indictated. I feel one must check the schedule before powering down the box rather than rely on the ring colour.

It was suggested earlier by af123 that purple be used for indicating a standby/ready to record state. However, as I have said, I can't really see the need unless you are a geek, but that is just me and I am not lol.

I think the "remove power" thing is a bit of a red herring - we don't very often want to do that unless everything has gone base over apex and we want a cold restart. In my view its a way of keeping an eye on what's what (or would be if I used AR). I accept there is a confusion between blue in standby waiting for AR and blue idle or waiting for AR in power up, but is not the former a dim blue rather than a bright blue?

I think we could have that as a convention: dim in half-awake, full brightness in full power.

Surely in 'standby but waiting to record' mode it could cycle between two colours (if techncially achieveable)? Alternatively the brightness could be cycled, say a pulsing blue (again assuming its doable). By definition the box isn't being watched at that time, so the changing colour isn't distracting, and it's only for a limited time anyway. In the absence of other available colours, this would differentiate between 'waiting' and 'on'.

Back