Redring - development and beta testing.

My box has failed to wake up for recordings this morning..

I'm going to pull the package from the repository for now and will provide direct download links for those willing to test the next version once it has been soak tested on my box.
0.98 has been working OK for me so far today, see my many edits in my last few posts. I am happy to carry on testing the next version when you are ready.

Edit: I have a dual recording event starting soon to monitor.:D

Even though my previous tests ended up with a dull Red ring, I thought I would leave it alone to see what happened.
At 2:44 pm the ring has gone Blue ready for a recording at 3:00 pm.
At 3:03 pm the box has started recording and the ring has gone bright Red.

Edit: At 3:05 pm the second recording has started and the ring has gone bright Purple.

Edit: At 3:34 pm the second recording has finished and the ring has gone bright Red.

Edit: At 3:58 pm the first recording has finished and the ring has remained bright Red.

My installation of the latest software (0.98) works with the exception that after finishing recording the ring turns orange (I hear the click as the box shuts down) then later it turns light blue although nothing is scheduled for over 2 hours..

At this point I can access the box via webIF and do everything as if the box was alive but it is not. I cannot view the TV output unless I turn the box on from the remote upon which the blue appears a little darker. However, apart from the sprurious blue ring scheduled recordings and shut downs take place as normal and the colours reflect the current state.

I would be happy to assist in any way.

My installation of the latest software (0.98) works with the exception that after finishing recording the ring turns orange (I hear the click as the box shuts down) then later it turns light blue although nothing is scheduled for over 2 hours..

That's what I saw with an earlier version, but I couldn't figure how the ring changed from orange to blue unless it did so while it was in the process of shutting down. Do you have any external drives connected? They would tell you if the USB power is on in this apparently-off state - which it is in the half-awake waiting to record state.

So what's keeping the processor alive? Very odd.

I have started checking out today's test recordings using 0.98 and shortly after starting playback, the Blue ring is turning bright Red as was seen in an earlier version. Pressing stop makes the ring go bright Blue again, and resuming playback makes it go bright Red again.

That's what I saw with an earlier version, but I couldn't figure how the ring changed from orange to blue unless it did so while it was in the process of shutting down. Do you have any external drives connected? They would tell you if the USB power is on in this apparently-off state - which it is in the half-awake waiting to record state.

So what's keeping the processor alive? Very odd.

No, I don't have any external drives connected. When the box is half-awake waiting to record, does the drive spin? That is something I have not checked today.

I have started checking out today's test recordings using 0.98 and shortly after starting playback, the Blue ring is turning bright Red as was seen in an earlier version. Pressing stop makes the ring go bright Blue again, and resuming playback makes it go bright Red again.

I have played one recording today and at least for the first 7 minutes the light stayed blue. I had to reboot at that point to schedule 3 other programmes for later tonight. When I resumed the recording the light stayed blue. I stopped it and resumed but again the light stayed blue.

I have a further 6 recordings set for tonight some overlapping and some not.

I have played one recording today and at least for the first 7 minutes the light stayed blue. I had to reboot at that point to schedule 3 other programmes for later tonight. When I resumed the recording the light stayed blue. I stopped it and resumed but again the light stayed blue.

I have a further 6 recordings set for tonight some overlapping and some not.
All of my test recordings worked OK, and I have now watched them all.

They all behaved in the following way that I described in my earlier post.

I have just checked and 0.98 has been removed from the webif package list as mentioned in the first post.

There is OPK package AND an OPB Bundle the package has been removed but the Bundle has not
EDIT
I'll remove the Bundle link from the WiKi

I had a recording fail this morning with 0.98 but I hadn't done a full power down since before the previous version. When the recording failed I removed redring but then found it would not go into full standby, just half-awake mode. A power cycle restored normal operation.

They are used when installing a package from USB stick. Each bundle contains the package and all its dependencies.
Thanks for the explanation, I have probably read about them but never used them.

Bundle removed thanks.

The redring package has been getting more and more complicated with each release, and has caused problems with the scheduled wakeup timer so I've started again with a completely different approach. When it's ready for testing I'll let you know. It isn't going to be as flexible, at least initially, so will lose the dual recording indicator, but should actually work consistently.

Bundle removed thanks.

The redring package has been getting more and more complicated with each release, and has caused problems with the scheduled wakeup timer so I've started again with a completely different approach. When it's ready for testing I'll let you know. It isn't going to be as flexible, at least initially, so will lose the dual recording indicator, but should actually work consistently.
OK thanks for letting us know, although I will miss the dual recording indicator I suppose it is more important that it works reliably.:)
I'm happy to test the new version when you feel it's ready.

I have now removed redring from my boxes, and will wait for the new version to become available for testing.

I have removed mine too, I would be available for testing if required, or happy to wait until a more stable version is ready!

For those willing to test the next version it can be installed from the command line:

Code:
humax# opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/test/redring_0.99_mipsel.opk

As I said earlier, I've taken a different approach now because the other one was getting far too complicated and turned out to carry a risk of missing recordings even though it had run on my box for a week without problems(!)

The main feature of this one is to turn the LED ring red when the box is in standby and is recording. It also turns the LED ring dim blue when the box wakes up ready to record (AR mode).

(If the box wakes up into AR mode and then you turn it on and off again using the remote, so that it ends up back in standby, the ring will go orange again but will still turn red once the recording begins).

Back