[redring] Show red LED ring when recording in standby + other options...

The Web-If settings menu has 5 single entries for a switch plus slider, which are covered separately in the WiKi, As you will appreciate with 11 switches and 5 sliders, some of which control more than a single feature, it is quite complicated to explain

Yes, Ezra, I know it is but where there is a one to one relationship could the wording reflect that? Perhaps keeping the LED and the display settings in separate groups would help?

Regardless of my perhaps pickyness, I congratulate you on the Wiki without which I would be at a loss.

Wiki - Settings
LED - LED
Screen - Display
Clock - Clock
Time - Time
LED - LED
Ring - LED
Display - Display

Is the current mix probably caused as new facilities were added. Clock, Time and Display are one, all the others are ring related. It might even be easier to read if each were in separate tables, Ring and Display?

It has obviously evolved throught 9 versions, I think 'Screen' should be on the settings side and Ring has got LED in front of it, but Yes it could be made clearer, I would propose using LED DISPLAY CLOCK and TIME but this would require af123 making changes as well as the 'Ring' in the WiKi

I have noticed that the Redring log sometimes displays GMT and other times BST, Not a big problem just thought I would mention it

RR-GMT-BST.jpg

I wonder if it would be possible for a "Fix blue ring brightness when out of standby?" and a "Fix recording/red ring brightness when out of standby" set of options... I'd like a dim blue when out of standby but a brilliant red when recording and as both status's are controlled by the single "Fix ring brightness when out of standby?" I'm limited to one setting.

Sorry to bump so soon, just wondering if anyone knew if this might be possible?

It would be possible, but would take some reworking of the code. At present redring doesn't interfere too much with LED operations when the box isn't in standby. I'll look at it.

Redring version 2 is getting closer to being ready - I just need to find time to test all the combinations properly!
I've restructured the setting screen to try and make it easier to understand and group options by mode. Any comments on this new layout? Is it better?

redring2.png

I think there is some overlap of functionality between :-
1) When Half awake >> Blue / Red On / Off + Brightness and
2) When in Standby (Waiting to Record / Recording) >> Fix LED brightness On / Off + Brightness

Just updated the image to reflect the latest wording - Fix has been replaced by Constant and I've consistently used "LED ring" and "VFD display"

I think there is some overlap of functionality between :-
1) When Half awake >> Blue / Red On / Off + Brightness and
2) When in Standby (Waiting to Record / Recording) >> Fix LED brightness On / Off + Brightness

Sorry Ezra, I don't follow.

The three states that I'm using are:

Standby - off, disk not spinning, no TV output.
Half awake - disk spinning, no TV output, DLNA server not running, etc. - usually this is waiting to record or recording from standby.
Fully awake - disk spinning, TV output.

The reason for being able to set arbitrary brightness levels in standby is for those who don't use power saving and those who want to turn off the LED ring in that state.

If not waiting to record and background recording, what do you consider half awake?

Sorry Ezra, I don't follow.

The three states that I'm using are:

Standby - off, disk not spinning, no TV output.
Half awake - disk spinning, no TV output, DLNA server not running, etc. - usually this is waiting to record or recording from standby.
Fully awake - disk spinning, TV output.

I don't have a problem with the 3 States, I was thinking that the last but one slider e.g. When in standby >> Constant LED Ring Brightness was doing the same job as the two above it, However I think I've got it now, Is the last but one slider for the stand-by Amber LED?

O.K. It's just that without an understanding of the Half Awake state the user could encounter a stand-by LED colour of Blue, Red, Purple and Amber. I have produced a draft RR2.0 section in the WiKi HERE, hopefully it ties up a bit closer to the new 'Settings Screen'

Anyone interested in beta testing the new version? I've been running it for a few days in a variety of configurations with no problems but would like it to be more widely tested before I upload it to the repository.
Drop me a PM.

I am finding the wording on the RR2.0 settings menu a bit strange, to get 100% LED and 100% VFD I have to set the switch to 'ON'. If the word 'Constant' was replace with the word 'Variable' it would make more sense.
stby-LEDS.jpg

In FA mode, with the switches off, the box does its usual variable thing, which is to go to full brightness following a remote control keypress and then drop to 50% brightness after 3 minutes. The option allows you to lock the brightness to a specific level, hence fixed.. I carried the same terminology over to the Standby options since the option allows overriding of the default behaviour..

I understand where the confusion lies, but I don't think variable is any clearer..

Anyone else?

Back