[redring] Show red LED ring when recording in standby + other options...

But I have also now noticed when I stop playing a file and am simply watching live TV, the front panel displays the channel name for a few seconds, then reverts to showing "Play 12:55" which is the current time! :eek:

I can't reproduce this - anyone else? You should only get Play and current time if you're watching delayed live (chase play).

I'm guessing you're polling the player every few seconds and updating/over-writing the panel when it detects a change?

Nothing that complicated really - interfacing with the Humax software like that is tricky (apart from any legal issues).
I just watch what the Humax software is sending to the front panel and block/change it as necessary, so the delay you see will mostly depend on how long the name of the programme is!

Here's a log extract when I'm watching 'The Immune System', 11 minutes in. I know the Play icon is lit so just look for the time at the end of the scrolling text and copy it into the 'Play XX:XX' and send it on to the screen.

Code:
[RR] Tue Apr  3 18:20:50 2012:        [ T h e  I m m u n e  0 ]
[RR] Tue Apr  3 18:20:53 2012:        [ h e  I m m u n e  0 0 ]
[RR] Tue Apr  3 18:20:54 2012:        [ e  I m m u n e  0 0 : ]
[RR] Tue Apr  3 18:20:56 2012:        [  I m m u n e  0 0 : 1 ]
[RR] Tue Apr  3 18:20:58 2012:        [ I m m u n e  0 0 : 1 1 ]
[RR] Tue Apr  3 18:20:58 2012:    +>  [ P l a y  0 0 : 1 1 ]

Since installing this a few days ago I've noticed that my box isn't going into full standby which I've noticed as the ring now never changes to amber. Whenever I switch the box off using the remote I get this in the log

[RR] Tue Apr 3 21:59:17 2012: Ring trying to go amber.
[RR] Tue Apr 3 21:59:17 2012: Changing to dim blue.
[RR] Tue Apr 3 21:59:17 2012: +> RingBrightness(0x1a) 40
[RR] Tue Apr 3 21:59:18 2012: +> RingColour(0xe) 01
The box is still in part awake mode so changing the colour back to dim blue is correct but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas why it doesn't go into full standby. When it's in this mode the webif is still accessible and in the morning it has gone to sleep fully (so I assume the housekeeping that runs in the morning does something to turn it off fully)

I did upgrade the disk a few weeks ago so it may be related to that but I'm not sure if it went into full standby before the disk upgrade before but will try this tonight by putting the old disk back in again.

The usual reason for not going into full standby is that there is a scheduled recording due to start within the next 15 minutes (assuming you don't use padding) - I don't know of any other reasons. It's strange that the housekeeping boot worked though - the rs.log would give an indication of when that occurred.

The usual reason for not going into full standby is that there is a scheduled recording due to start within the next 15 minutes (assuming you don't use padding) - I don't know of any other reasons. It's strange that the housekeeping boot worked though - the rs.log would give an indication of when that occurred.
Thanks for the reply.

This is the bit from the log where the housekeeping runs but it doesn't seem to say a lot
[RR] Tue Apr 3 22:02:50 2012: [ Disk space 1 = ON ]
[RR] Wed Apr 4 03:30:00 2012: -> ClockControl(0x13) 00
[RR] Wed Apr 4 03:30:00 2012: +> ClockControl(0x13) 00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[RR] Wed Apr 4 07:06:22 2012: Persistent log starting.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[RR] Wed Apr 4 07:06:22 2012: -> LEDControl(0x10) 00 80 00 01
I'd had to do a retune recently due to transmitter changes so my first thought was maybe something went wrong when I restored the schedule but I've deleted it all since and put it back manually but maybe I'll try that again. I'll also put the old disk back in to see if they fixes it as well

I've now tried it using the original disk and everything works which means it's definitiely a problem with the new hard disk somewhere. The hard disk I put in is a WD20EURS in case anyone has a similar issue in the future.

I also removed the orange filter from the display at the same time so at least I haven't broken anything when I took everything apart. Now that I can see the display the option to stop it scrolling is really useful.

I'd love a mod that just puts a nice bright clock on display all the time
I think I read somewhere that this used to be able to do that - is that still the case?

I'd love a mod that just puts a nice bright clock on display all the time
I think I read somewhere that this used to be able to do that - is that still the case?
There is the option
optionally, a clock can be shown on the front panel LCD when not in standby.
I'm not sure how bright it is though.

I'm not sure how bright it is though.

It varies - very bright after a remote control operation then fades slightly after a while (that could be changed - although the LCD_DIMMING_FLAG in the setup database seems to be relevant here too). Both are fine to read with the orange filter removed.

It varies - very bright after a remote control operation then fades slightly after a while (that could be changed - although the LCD_DIMMING_FLAG in the setup database seems to be relevant here too). Both are fine to read with the orange filter removed.
The display and LED ring both auto dim 3 minutes after a remote control operation, or scheduled recording start. There may be other instances as well.
I have one box with, and one box without Orange filter, and the dim display is much easier to read on the Green display, but still readable on the Orange display.
I will have to perform the Green display upgrade on my second box soon.;)

it had a little 'fit' this morning whilst on chase play (2 mins behind), quickly alternating between play and the current time.

That's actually what I would expect if you have enabled both the show time on playback and always show clock options.

The reason is that the clock display is handled autonomously by the front panel processor so all redring does is send the command to enable the clock. Then whenever anything else is sent to the LCD display it will be displayed briefly and then overwritten the next time the front panel updates the clock display.

I should make the options mutually exclusive in the web interface.

Edit: If you would like both options, then I could send a 'disable clock' command on playback start and then 'enable clock' again at the end.

I have noticed that with the Ver 1.01 ‘Show elapsed time on playback’ option enabled, there seems to be an increased delay between pressing pause and the video actually pausing , maybe a second or so. I have enabled and disable the option a few times and it does seem to be linked, Is this possible?

redring 1.02 is out which will work better with both 'show clock' and 'show elapsed time on playback' enabled.

Have any redring users experienced any problems recently with their machine's DLNA indexer? I've been struggling all afternoon with an indexer that persistently refused to index the Hummy's content - until I uninstalled redring, at which point everything returned to normal. I know it sounds improbable and was most probably a coincidence, but if anyone else has had indexing issues, it's worth investigating.

Yes, I have programmes dating from 31/3 - 6/4 on two boxes that have not been indexed, although some programmes have been.

Edit: After uninstalling redring, turning off content share, rebooting box, turning content share back on, All programmes were indexed within a few seconds.

Have any redring users experienced any problems recently with their machine's DLNA indexer? I've been struggling all afternoon with an indexer that persistently refused to index the Hummy's content - until I uninstalled redring, at which point everything returned to normal. I know it sounds improbable and was most probably a coincidence, but if anyone else has had indexing issues, it's worth investigating.

Yes the same happened to me, and as Brian did, I did too on my HDR and all were indexed instantly!

Back