[redring] Show red LED ring when recording in standby + other options...

I was having a problem with version 1.02 when copying a large HD file to external disk using the Humax UI OPT+ method. The sidecar files would copy but not the .ts file. Uninstalling redring or upgrading to 1.03 seems to have fixed it.

Just to confirm my earlier issue of "Play 00:00" appearing after watching a video file, seems to have stopped after installing v1.03.

Thanks for sorting AF :)

The latest webif also adds a DLNA button to diagnostics and a status page with a database reset button (it is becoming more frequently asked of late)

Yes, if the current channel name is long enough to cause a scroll, you'll see it flash up at the start of a new scroll cycle. How long it is displayed depends on when the clock next updates itself.

Just had redring stay red when you stop a recording just before the scheduled end. It also happened a few days ago. I can't remember if two recordings were taking place at the time.

Just released redring 1.04 with one new feature which has been requested a couple of times - an option to turn off the ring completely in standby. Well, actually it doesn't manage to completely turn it off but it does make it extremely dim amber.

Would it be possible to increase (or make variable) the 25% Blue when waiting to record from Standby, as in brighter lighting conditions it's not possible to distinguish it from 11% Amber, maybe use the same variable as Recording from standby X1 and X2

an option to turn off the ring completely in standby

Love it!! All this started with wanting the ring to light up more in standby, and now after all that we get here with the ability to turn it off altogether!!! Sounds like most of the projects we do at my place!!

Which just goes to show how difficult a job a vendor like Humax has. No matter what design decisions they take, they won't keep everyone happy, and they can't realistically add masses of configurable options for everything.

Would it be possible to increase (or make variable) the 25% Blue when waiting to record from Standby, as in brighter lighting conditions it's not possible to distinguish it from 11% Amber, maybe use the same variable as Recording from standby X1 and X2
Yes, I'll look at that for the next version.

Which just goes to show how difficult a job a vendor like Humax has. No matter what design decisions they take, they won't keep everyone happy, and they can't realistically add masses of configurable options for everything.

Absolutely - do you think they make a deliberate decision to make tweaking possible (at the users risk of course) so they can see what stuff people do with the boxes to get inspiration for the next versions? Sounds like a great way to get future design ideas without the expense of fancy marketing surveys and focus groups. From what I've read here people have been tweaking Humax and indeed many other PVR type boxes forever so you'd like to think the latest box has always had the cumulative inspiration of those mods that came before. Interesting to see that the new Freeview spec reported on here a little while ago listed many of the things you've unofficially enabled for us already - I wonder how much of that inspiration was gained from here, Toppy, even 3view and all the others.

They actually go to great pains to make it hard to modify by using a digitally signed cryptographic checksum on their updates. They're allowed to do that as Linux is still under the GPLv2 licence (if it were under GPLv3 then they would have to publish or make available the relevant keys).

I like to think they keep half an eye on the mods for good ideas for the next version...

1.05 has a setting for the brightness of the blue in standby.

I've just uploaded redring 1.06 - two changes:
  • Option to stop the LCD display automatically dimming to 50% brightness three minutes after a remote keypress;
  • Improve the Show elapsed time on playback? display (suggestion from xyz321 - thanks) - show current time at the left hand side and playback time on the right. When chase playing the current time will be at the left and the time that is being watched at the right.
redring_play.jpg

Firstly, thankyou for all your hard work on this. I very much appreciate it.

With the new 'show elapsed time on playback' display I'm getting the current time showing as one hour earlier than actual. Just me or bug?

And a feature request - is it possible to adjust colour and/or brightness of the ring when on? The reason being I'm not a big fan of the blue. The option to dim to lowest level or change to amber might be cool.

Back