Remote stops working after a while

No good I'm afraid, it hung up yesterday and tailing humaxtv.log, nothing came out in response to button presses. Maybe its time go get a cheap wifi android tablet and use it as the remote via the web-if page.

Or a smart-phone. It doesn't seem reasonable you should have to do that though.
No, and we have those devices in the house already, mrs myhandle won't accept that though. I suppose one possibility is to see if I can return the unit (nearly 2 years old, bought at Comet, lots of recordings in it we don't want to lose) but the expectation is the behaviour may return if it has anything to do with the codes set in the remote control or an incompatibility with the tv.

An external drive plus custom firmware would save your precious recordings.

Can you try it with a different TV?

You might also consider experimenting with a third-party programmable handset, eg Logitech Harmony.

I've got firmware and a drive, so yes could copy the recordings off.
Different TV, well it was all fine with the Sagem into its DVI-D port, and first went odd with a borrowed Panasonic.
Re. another handset, I have two of the Humax remotes and it won't respond to either when this situation arises.

Last night I put some Christmas lights across the room (did this last year too) but response has been particularly bad today, failing only a minute or two after a cold start, so maybe these are causing some interference. I have moved the unit higher up in the cabinet and further back too in an attempt to shield it from unnecessary illumination. Let's see how this goes. Might try completely blocking the IR receiver for a time and see how long it holds up then.

Update: I have had a warranty replacement box, which I have been using for two weeks now, and the new one works perfectly, which means there was definitely something wrong with the box and not the connections or environment. I guess we'll never know exactly what the problem was.

Good to see you have 'the' solution Paul, I have been/am having the same problems, seems to me my hummy gets warm and then refuses to see the remote, remote still works for the TV. Humax supplied a new remote (foc, great service) but either they both work or both don't. I have been using the web-if remote on smart phone, laptop and pad, invariably have one to hand, and find it perfect.

The loss of remote seems random, may be the hummy getting warm, could be cables or interference......................

Yesterday the web-if refused to connect. I can pull it up on the lappy screen so somethings going on, have rebooted, switched it all off/on a few times, re-install later I expect. But I can see the hummy going back with the 2 remotes, trying to avoid that at the moment.

Just now both the humax remotes are working again :) .

Later that same day.......... humax remotes still iffy, reinstall of custom firmware and software remote is back (took a couple of goes), for some reason I uninstalled the custom portal thinking I would be offered a chance to reinstall - but cannot find it, guess it will turn up. Quit now while I am ahead.

later again, looking for wrong thing - Portal Xtra 1 is what I want, reboot and it's back.

enough of highjacking this thread.

I have this problem once in a while.
I solve it each time by opening the battery compartment and moving the batteries back and forth.
That cures the problem for me, until the next time that is.......!

Hi Paul,

Getting back to the original question of this post, I have exactly the same problem and it drives me nuts. Exactly as you described it, so I won't repeat the symptoms.

It's definitely NOT the cables or the batteries (come on, we should all check that it's not the batteries before posting!). It's very clear the batteries are functioning as the PVR red light still always shines and I can go into the other room and control the other HD Humax fine!

No, unfortunately it's clearly a kit issue, but mine is out of warranty and I've got the customised firmware on anyway, so I just live with it. (It was the same before customised firmware before you ask!) If I wait ten minutes the problem goes goes away and I can use the remote again!

I think this is clearly a sporadic hardware issue that Humax should acknowledge.

Thanks yes, I did realise I could revert if needed. However, it's out of warrantee anyway. I'm more interested in having Humax and organisations like hummy.tv to have this as a recognised issue, instead of people keeping on saying have you tried the batteries! At least if it were a recognised issue I'd know that I was screwed!

You are correct of course, but Humax is very bad listener. However they have been known to replace boxes after the warranty period

My ok button is playing up, have to really press it hard to get any response,
Has any one got any info on dismantling it so I can look at the buttons contact, don't want to damage it or pay 40quid for a new one in eBay!

Cheers for that Martin, wife is upstairs raking thru our receipts as we speak lol, it's defo over a year old, had it for a year before I even found this forum, but it maybe just under 2 years old, will find out soon either way ;))

My humax quick start guide "conditions" states:
The HUMAX warranty is valid for a minimum period of 1 year from the date of purchase.
Does minimum mean I'm still covered?

Common practice seems to be 2 years (in theory as long as you registered your purchase, but try it anyway).

Back