[rs] Remote Scheduling Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please upgrade and see if it solves your problem.

Thank you for your quick response, which as usual, is most courteous. Much appreciated and commendable.

I have applied the upgrade to rs and webif - which has improved the EPG list - I'm now seeing the 800-range, but there are still gaps (missing channels) and some channels are duplicated. I will investigate in terms of the UHF channels being used on the HD box (List + i on the remote is useful for this).

Thanks again.

I have applied the upgrade to rs and webif - which has improved the EPG list - I'm now seeing the 800-range, but there are still gaps (missing channels) and some channels are duplicated. I will investigate in terms of the UHF channels being used on the HD box (List + i on the remote is useful for this).

The latest webif also adds a 'channel info' link at the bottom of the main screen which shows frequencies and channels on one screen - it may help visualise what is going on. With DSO and transmission power increasing a lot of people are going to start getting channels in the 800 range so thank you for being a test case : )

The latest webif also adds a 'channel info' link at the bottom of the main screen which shows frequencies and channels on one screen - it may help visualise what is going on. With DSO and transmission power increasing a lot of people are going to start getting channels in the 800 range so thank you for being a test case : )

Yes, I have seen and used the 'channel info' link. It has proved useful as it is not always straightforward obtaining the channels being carried on some of the mux's.

Next DSO event taking place here on 28/9, where if I recall correctly, it is : 'late channel change and power-up' on the commercial mux's. So yes, together with DSO roll-out, maybe more people in regional overlaps.

Glad to be a 'test case' :)

If I become aware of a program which I would like to record, say in an hour's time I can schedule it via the rs and queue a reboot command but if I don't have a wake up event programmed in advance happening in the next hour the humax will miss the recording. Is there anything that might help with that?

Leave it switch ON! Unfortunately, if the Hummy is not on then there is nothing that can be done until it powers up.

This situation is bound to happen without the benefit of a crystal ball. I just have my Hummy to wake-up twice a day. Of course, sod's law will dictate that this will happen to me to.

The only other option is to leave the Hummy on 24/7, which is not really a good idea IMHO.

I was trying to come up with some kind of diagram to show the flow of events but haven't managed to visualise it yet. Here it is in words:
  • First you need to set something to record via the RS portal;
  • The Humax then has to check with the RS site to find the new programme. This occurs whenever it is booted (60 seconds after the network first comes up) and then about every 5 minutes thereafter as long as it is turned on;
  • The Humax then requires one further startup from standby for the event to move from the pending to live table.
So, if you were away from home and scheduled something, the Humax would have to startup, shutdown, startup for the event to move to the live table.

If there is any hope at doing something on the site we need to provide the rules that the site will check - if no-one minds I'll have a stab at the logic for that (I'll number the steps for ease of reference if (when?) we need to pick this apart)

This is assuming the box is on standby when the schedule is made on the site, but will check as best it can to see if the box is potentially awake

For the purpose of this a wake up or power cycle refers to the box coming alive enough to run the RS package on the box and check the RS site as well as the required reboot to incorporate Pending items already on the box into the Active list - this could be actual wakes/sleeps programmed on the Humax menus, or via the RS Additional Commands option, or existing Active Schedule Items, or Active Reminders
  1. Schedule hits the Queued Commands list on the RS site
  2. Check the time of each program in Queued against the next scheduled wake up cycle(s) in the Active list
    1. Are there 2 before the program starts? Yes - then the line will record
    2. Is there only 1 before the program starts? Then we need another reboot so put the warning/reboot icon on that line
    3. No cycles before the start time - then advise that this item will not record - UNLESS the box is already awake (check the 'Last Seen' time - if it's within the last 5 or 6 minutes ago then the box may already be on unless the last seen was literally just before it shut down!) AND it power cycles once before the program starts.
    4. If the box is awake then this list will change every 5 minutes anyway so the words we use in #3 above can explain this to the user (this might need a bit more thinking)
  3. If the box is already awake then the item will move onto the box and into Pending within 5 minutes - but we still need a restart so for items in the Pending Queue that are timed BEFORE the next visible wake up cycle then colour them in and advise to get a reboot scheduled (currently I think you have to push another recording at it where you would get a reboot option and the checks made in step 2.0 above
  4. If the box was in standby but has woken up once and picked up the item into Pending it will still need another restart - if there isn't going to be one then put the warning on that line and add text about trying to get a reboot set.
I have described this as checks made on the existing views of the queues and colouring lines in/adding icons as required by the various rules. I guess you could do a seperate timeline view showing anything not already in Active and colour them in/iconise them accordingly but this would make the screen a little more crowded especially when viewing on mobile devices remotely (@af123 - it was a beach in Cyprus you mentioned in the early days wasn't it?).

Well that's my starter for ten - time to see how many holes I left in it!! :)

If I become aware of a program which I would like to record, say in an hour's time I can schedule it via the rs and queue a reboot command but if I don't have a wake up event programmed in advance happening in the next hour the humax will miss the recording. Is there anything that might help with that?

You're dipping your toe in the murky world of Port Forwarding for that kind of real time access. There have been some posts about it and unless like me you've ended up with a HH3 that doesn't apparently do Port Forwarding unlike every other router on the planet then it is entirely possible (but very risky if you leave anything open to the world - that's why we like the RS method). Black Hole's index of threads has (I think) links to the threads looking at Port Forwarding and also one for putting a password on the local webif. ("Other ways of remotely programming your Humax are available" :))

Alternatively I could setup 24 wakeup/sleep events every hour of 1 minute duration. Any downfall on this option? apart from using 24 minutes of power, negligible imo.

I personally would not do it that way. Most wear on the HDD and strain on the PSU occur at this point. I think you will be storing up problems further down the line. But that's just my opinion.

Alternatively I could setup 24 wakeup/sleep events every hour of 1 minute duration. Any downfall on this option? apart from using 24 minutes of power, negligible imo.
You will shorten the life of your HDD. Excessive Load / Unload cycles will cause a premature demise.

Edit: I thought you were talking about 24 cycles per hour, but you mean once an hour, right? I've seen figures of 200k cycles quoted, at that rate it would take 22years to use them up, so you're probably safe!
How does a wake/sleep event get treated if the box is being watched?
Edit2: I see ChrisDaniels has already answered that question.

The reboot thing really is a pain in the arse. I might be tempted to just set the Hummy to turn on in the morning and off at night.

I suppose the best setup I had was when using a slingbox. It would control the humax via the web including turn on/off via IRed commands via the web. Would we be able to replicate that? Come to think of it the slingbox was on 24/7 so no power saving there. Alas it died.

BTW,af123 I just wanted to add my thanks to all the rest.
When I bought the HDR last year, it was a bit of let down from my MythTV setup which was forcibly retired by the missus!

With the custom formware, and especially now with remote scheduling it is everything I could have wished for and maybe a little bit more!
Thanks again for all your hard work, donation has been made.

When I try to register through the settings menu it seems to be hanging on "registering"? I presume once it has worked it will change from "inactive" to something else and I should receive an email?
Is this tested and working on an HD (which is what I'm using!)

But when you are watching tv normally, you would get prompted every hour about shutting down :frantic:
I agree, and to make matters worse it doesn't give you long to react before actually turning it off - I can see lots of queries from her indoors if I set up a shed-load of extra wake-up timers.

Is this tested and working on an HD (which is what I'm using!)
I finally got a bit of time to set it up yesterday on my HD and so far it all seems to work fine. registering went smoothly. Awesome work af123 :)

I suppose the best setup I had was when using a slingbox. It would control the humax via the web including turn on/off via IRed commands via the web. Would we be able to replicate that? Come to think of it the slingbox was on 24/7 so no power saving there. Alas it died.

You can buy web enabled IR transmitters, but they tend to be expensive (e.g. http://www.irtrans.com/en/shop/wifi.php). I'm looking at investing in a home made IR sender which can plug into a USB port on a plug computer I have near my Humax, but that probably isn't a universally acceptable solution!

I finally got a bit of time to set it up yesterday on my HD and so far it all seems to work fine. registering went smoothly. Awesome work af123 :)
Thanks - good to know it works ok on the HD too. At present, 8% of the people registered with the portal have HDs rather than HDRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back