[rs] Remote Scheduling v1

Agreed. Regular reboots could cripple the data rate, which gets re-negotiated each time from a safe minimum.

I have never seen the need to leave it on when I don't need it (old habits for power saving, albeit not much for a modem).
I always thought that the learning process was cumulative, persisting through power-offs?

Nope. If the server sees disconnections and reboots it will throttle back the data rate.

Quote from THIS WEB PAGE:
Re-connecting/disconnecting your router:

You should be aware that re-booting your router or disconnecting and reconnecting the phone line, or working on any of your phone extensions etc. can all 'upset' the BT kit which could in turn cause you to get a lower BRAS profile! So don't do any of the above too often.

And note that the speed afforded by the BRAS profile is separate to the sync speed reported by your ADSL router* so looking at the sync/connection speed isn't enough.

* it neither modulates nor demodulates so I won't call it a modem.

it neither modulates nor demodulates so I won't call it a modem.
'Course it does Malcolm! It's just that there is usually an Ethernet router (and a WiFi access point) built into the same box. "Modem" is frequently taken to imply a dial-up connection, but the term is no less accurately applied to the ADSL line interface.

Modulation is the process of converting the plain signal (in this case the TCP/IP packets) into another form for transmission through the desired medium (POTS phone wires), demodulation is the recovery of the payload from the received signal (which could be substantially modified from that transmitted by the characteristics of the medium). Another example: FM radio - the audio waveform is used to vary the frequency of a VHF oscillator, and the resulting RF is launched into the ether by a properly designed antenna. At the receiving end the variations in frequency are demodulated back to a facsimile of the original audio.

ADSL is an extremely sophisticated modulation scheme which adapts to the specific line characteristics between the transmitter and receiver, and does not simply send serial data as individual bits or even as an encoded (for error compensation) bit stream. The data encoding has similarities with the methods used to achieve high data densities on hard drives (think of the disk platter as the transmission medium), although the modulation is different to account for the differences in the physical medium.

To go into a bit more detail, the available frequency band (from about 150kHz to 1100kHz) is divided into 4kHz channels, each channel is tested for the data rate it will support (limited by the transmission characteristics and interference on that channel), then the data stream is divided up across the channels accordingly, encoded, and multi-bit symbols modulated onto carrier frequencies using amplitude and phase shift, and pre-emphasised to overcome distortion in the transmission line. At the receiving end each carrier is demodulated, decoded, error corrected, and then the bit streams from all the carriers are combined to recreate the original bit stream (and then used to recreate the TCP/IP packets). In effect, the data is being spread over 250 channels instead of just one.

The upload channel is much slower, using many fewer channels between about 25kHz and 150kHz. That's why it's called "Asymetric".

On my Recent Activity log on the RS site, I always seem to be uploading "0 EPG entries, 13.75KiB":

Capture.JPG

Everything is working ok, and I have my full local EPG available and can schedule recordings fine. I've had a look through a few logs, including rsepg.log, but that only shows

Code:
Thu Apr 11 04:25:32 BST 2013
No EPG data to send.

So not sure if that's relevant as it hasn't been updated in a while. I've tried the various rs diagnostics but none have made any difference. A bit odd because it must be uploading the EPG, mustn't it?

The RS EPG is contributed from all users, so once the data across all regions has been acquired, no further contributions are required.

Well that makes sense now. I was under the impression that EPG data was uploaded on an individual basis, but thinking about it that would lead to a huge volume of traffic to the site. It's all clever stuff...:)

Sorry to ask another potentially stupid newbie question, but I've installed the custom firmware tonight which all went smoothly, then installed the rs package (via the webif interface on my local LAN) - version 1.0.1 which was the one listed.

However when I sign into the hummpkg.org.uk portal I get a relatively empty screen, and a prompt flashes up at the top of the page to upgrade to a lower version 1.0.0.

I guess 1.0.1 is a new release that's not compatible - so I could remove it, but can't see where to get version 1.0.0 to replace it with. Can anyone help?

Cheers
Jim

Someone else may be able to advise you why you are being asked to install a earlier version, my guess is that some of the other files RS requires are not at the correct version, however if you really do need to install version 1.0.0, there are two ways to do it, If you have access to Telnet you can send the following two command lines :-
Code:
opkg remove rs

opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/rs_1.0.0_mipsel.opk

the other method is to remove the current version of rs in the Web-If >> package Managment >> Installed screen and then download this file to a P.C. place on a USB flash device, insert into the Humax and reboot

I think we've seen a couple of cases of this. 1.0.1 was released to solve a couple of problems (see HERE - click), and anybody already registered with RS had no problems, but it seems to be catching out new sign-ups. AF needs to look at this.

Thanks for the help, folks - it's solved, but I'm not sure why?!

I first removed the rs 1.0.1 using the Webif interface, then downloaded puTTY to enable me to Telnet, used the command that Ezra Pound gave me above (can't post it as I can't post links yet), which seemed to execute perfectly. I can now access the EPG and set a recording via the rs hummypkg site - however the new version of rs is showing up in my installed packages again as 1.0.1?

I'm guessing that the 1.0.0 software isn't available anymore so it automatically chooses 1.0.1 and either the second install on my machine has worked better than the first, or the compatibility problem with the web interface has been solved overnight?

Now I've just got to figure out why flatten doesn't seem to be doing anything - maybe yet another question for elsewhere in the forum later...

Thanks for all your help guys.
Jim

No, you probably installed 1.0.0 which bypassed the bug stopping you registering with the RS service, and then (presuming you have auto-update installed) 1.0.0 updated to 1.0.1 overnight.

If flatten (or anything else) isn't working, the first port of call is to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic on the Diagnostics section of the WebIF.

Maybe - I've done it all in the last 30 mins or so? Just waiting for the first rs test show to start recording, although it's not showing up yet in the webif schedule.

I'm sure I read it needs a little push or scheduled check in with the rs service before it picks programmes up - I'll go and re-read that.

EDIT - Yep, just scheduled a couple of wake-ups each day... This stuff is awesome - well done fella's

Back