Samba

phit03

I'm trying to copy some files from a Win7 PC back to a HDRFOX-T2 via a Samba share. The copy fails with no space on the destination drive although there is plenty of space available. If I look at the HDR drive using properties on the PC the size shows as 56.4GB instead of the real size of 400GB+.

I have no problems copying files in the other direction (HDR to PC). The files I am trying to copy back, originally came from that same HDR (I copied them without decrypting them first and now I want to put them back to decrypt them).

Anyone any idea what might be causing this, is there something I need to change in the Samba config file on the HDR?

I'm on all the latest versions of the custom firmware.

This is covered in the thread HERE, to summarise :- Drive sizes can be incorrectly reported, to avoid this set the share to "/media/My Video" in the /mod/etc/smb.conf file

Thanks for that, changed the entry in the smb.conf file and Windows properties for the network drive is now reporting the correct size but I still can't copy the file back. It says that there is insufficient space on the HDR drive. I presume that Samba is reporting an error that Windows is interpreting as no space available.
Is there a Samba logfile that might give some idea as to what's causing the problem? I did a "find -name *log" from root but couldn't see anything that looked like a Samba logfile.

I've also searched and found hits that say that earlier versions of Samba had a 2GB filesize limit, the file I am trying to copy is larger than this. I can copy files less than 2GB so this would seem to be the problem. I guess I'll have to transfer them via USB to get hem back on the box.
It seems that the version used in the custom firmware is 2.2.12-3 and version 2.2 is reported as having this problem.

These are the new entries in the smb.conf file:

[My Video]
comment = My Video
path = /media/My Video
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

[drive1]
comment = drive1 - external USB 1
path = /media/drive1
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

Further to my previous post. I tried copying the same file (larger than 2GB) to my Foxsat-hdr running the custom firmware and this worked OK. This is running 2.2.12, which is the same version that the HDR-Fox T2 is running. So my question is, why does it work on the Foxsat but not on the HDR-Fox?

This is covered in the thread HERE, to summarise :- Drive sizes can be incorrectly reported, to avoid this set the share to "/media/My Video" in the /mod/etc/smb.conf file
Are the quotes required when changing the samba config. (The path contains a space).

Hi Mike0001, thanks for that. I'd become blinkered going down the Samba route and didn't think about using FTP instead. Installed Filezilla on the PC, connected to the HDR and copied the files back OK. Only problem is that after all that I couldn't decrypt them as I'd deleted the .nts and .thm files and only had the .hmt and .ts files so I don't get the options to decrypt via the custom firmware "Browse Media File" option.

Hi HarveyB, I can copy files from the PC to the HDR using Samba if they're less than 2GB in size so the HDR My Video filesystem is mounted OK on the PC via Samba so it looks as if the quotes aren't needed. Thanks for the feedback though.

As I said earlier, Samba works OK with files greater than 2GB when using the custom firmware on a Foxsat-HDR.
I'm aware that the custom firmware is maintained by different people on the 2 boxes and I'm happy to live with the situation as it stands with the FTP option on the HDR boxes.

Further to my previous posts, it looks as if there is a further problem with Samba and files larger than 2GB. I have been using FTP (Filezilla) to copy files larger than 2GB back to the HDR from a PC successfully. However, I continued using a Samba share to copy files in the other direction as (in my opinion) it integrates better with Windows Explorer. Files larger than 2GB copy fine doing this but until my wife started complaining about programs going missing on the HDR I hadn't realised that the files left on the HDR were being corrupted by the copy process. This only appears to happen if the file is larger than 2GB in size. I'm now using FTP for all my transfers to and from the HDR so this is just a warning to others that using Samba with files larger than 2GB may be problematic.

I just tried copying a 7GB file to the HDR via a samba mount. The copied file was identical to the original (verified by SHA1 signatures).

When copying from the HDR, are you allowing sufficient time for it to be auto-decrypted? If not it will not be playable on the external device.

I just tried copying a 7GB file to the HDR via a samba mount. The copied file was identical to the original (verified by SHA1 signatures).

When copying from the HDR, are you allowing sufficient time for it to be auto-decrypted? If not it will not be playable on the external device.

The files on the HDR are already decrypted and shrunk (auto-decrypt and auto-shrink) and files less than 2GB transfer OK. The PC is running 32bit Windows 7. The 2GB limitation happens in both directions but with differing results. If I try to copy a 2.6GB .ts file from the PC to the HDR using Windows drag and drop, I get an error message saying there is insufficient space on the HDR. If I do a "properties" on the HDR drive from Windows it shows the full size of the drive and says that there is 364GB out of 447GB free. If I transfer a file larger than 2GB from the HDR to the PC using Windows drag and drop, the copy completes without any errors and the resulting .ts files are playable on the PC but the files on the HDR become corrupted and are no longer playable on the HDR (in some cases they aren't even recognised by the HDR). Copying them back to the HDR from the PC using FTP results in a playable file back on the HDR so they are not corrupted during the transfer. Transferring the files using FTP (Filezilla) works OK regardless of file size.

I have 2 HDRs both with the latest levels of the custom firmware (auto update) and both exhibit the same behaviour.

On further investigation it looks as if the problem may lie with the interaction between the Windows 7 code and Samba on the HDR as I can copy files larger than 2GB from the PC to the HDR using Teracopy on the PC instead of the Windows 7 code without the insufficient space message (right-click and drag the files I want to copy or move from the PC to the HDR and select Teracopy to do the move). The resulting file on the HDR is playable but interestingly Teracopy reports that the file copy failed even though it didn't.

When I get the time I'll try to work through and document all the different scenarios.

One further thing to mention is that I also have a Foxsat-HDR with custom firmware and I don't have any of these problems between the PC and this box using Samba shares.

I must say that I'm surprised that no-one else appears to be having these problems and after 30 years in IT I'm prepared to accept that this is a problem limited to my setup.

For the moment I'll stick to using FTP.

Is your Samba package up to date? I seem to remember there was a bug in it a long while back.

Is your Samba package up to date? I seem to remember there was a bug in it a long while back.
The version reported for Samba on the HDR is the same as that on the Foxsat-HDR which works OK.
It is part of the custom firmware package and there are no upgrades available for it. I have no idea if it is possible to download and recompile it on the HDR.

I too have seen reports of a 2GB bug while Googling for possible reasons but I don't understand why it should work on the Foxsat but not the HDR when they report the same versions.

The versions on the HDR-FOX-T2 and FOXSAT are probably not the same. The '-3' is used to indicate patches which have been applied to the basic 2.2.x version in order to get it to work on the HDR-FOX-T2. I have asked the FOXSAT guys if there are any additional patches which may have been applied to their version.

The thing is I regularly use SMB to play HiDef recordings from my HDRs to my HDs, with no problems. The files in question will be at least 2GB, more like 4GB for an hour's programme. I watched Jonathan Creek that way last night.

If I try to copy a 2.6GB .ts file from the PC to the HDR using Windows drag and drop, I get an error message saying there is insufficient space on the HDR.
I suspect you might need to read this thread.
If I transfer a file larger than 2GB from the HDR to the PC using Windows drag and drop, the copy completes without any errors and the resulting .ts files are playable on the PC but the files on the HDR become corrupted and are no longer playable on the HDR
I don't believe you. Taking copies doesn't change the original, as you well know after 30 years in IT.

The thing is I regularly use SMB to play HiDef recordings from my HDRs to my HDs, with no problems. The files in question will be at least 2GB, more like 4GB for an hour's programme. I watched Jonathan Creek that way last night.
Jonathan Creek is shown in webif as being 2.46 GiB, which seems fairly typical for a nominally 1 hour HD recording.

Yes, I can do the same, files copy from the HDR to the PC using a Samba share and I can then view them using VLC or WMP without a problem. The only problem is that they seem to become corrupted on the HDR after the copy and I can no longer view them on the HDR. I can prove that they copied to the PC OK by copying them back to the HDR (using FTP) and then they are once again viewable on the HDR.

I don't believe you. Taking copies doesn't change the original, as you well know after 30 years in IT.

I agree, taking copies shouldn't affect the original but after 30 years in IT I've learnt that any computer program can have bugs and that they don't always manifest themselves in the way you would expect. However, I'm willing to accept that the problem is down to me and that's why I'm discussing it on the forum to see if anyone else has had the problem. As I have said earlier in thread, I need to do a lot more investigation before saying that there is a definite problem with the Samba implementation but I don't want to do that without checking to see that it's already a known problem.

Sorry, I forgot to respond to the first part of your post. Yes, I have read that thread about the drive size being mis-reported and taken the action mentioned in that thread to change the Samba configuration file on the HDR. Windows now reports the correct size for the HDR disk but still comes up with an error message saying that there is insufficient space available when using vanilla Windows drag and drop to copy a file larger than 2GB to the HDR. However if I use Teracopy (a Windows open source replacement for the vanilla code), no such error is reported and the copy to the HDR proceeds OK. However, using the Teracopy option to verify the file by comparing the CRC of the source and destination files sometimes (but not always) reports a mismatch between the 2 files. So far, those files that have been flagged as different have played OK on the HDR.

The versions on the HDR-FOX-T2 and FOXSAT are probably not the same. The '-3' is used to indicate patches which have been applied to the basic 2.2.x version in order to get it to work on the HDR-FOX-T2. I have asked the FOXSAT guys if there are any additional patches which may have been applied to their version.

Thanks for that xyz321.

Back