[screensaver] alternatives to the default screensaver

antipodean : Well, I wasn't thinking that 13

It still wouldn't work because all we have are the digits 0-9, we can't tell the Humax where to put them. e.g. if you replace '1' with 'X' then 11:11:11 would be displayed XX:XX:XX you cant say replace '1' with 'X' sometime's but not allways
BTW
I presume you meant to say '12 would be displayed as XII'

It still wouldn't work because all we have are the digits 0-9, we can't tell the Humax where to put them. e.g. if you replace '1' with 'X' then 11:11:11 would be displayed XX:XX:XX you cant say replace '1' with 'X' sometime's but not allways
BTW
I presume you meant to say '12 would be displayed as XII'

No 1 would be replaced with I, 9 would be replaced with IX.

It could only be done on a digit by digit basis just like your nixie tube one.

So 13, which in 'proper' roman numerals is XIII as a 'single' number would have to be displayed as I in the 10s position and III in the digits position.

1 would be replaced with I, 9 would be replaced with IX.
It could only be done on a digit by digit basis just like your nixie tube one.

It would be possible, Just about :-

roman.jpg

Dot.png

BTW

The other picture is another font called Dot (click for bigger picture)

Is cuneiform out of the question as it would require different pics for the tens and the units?

Or even simpler: braille without the numeric indicator.

Though for that a vertical bar may be easier to read than the colons as a separator.

What would 7 and 8 look like if they were on a die? I guess a 9 would be 3 rows of 3.
A 7 could be the middle left and the middle right missing? An 8 could be the central pip missing?

Part of me wants to ask whether the conclusion is that a screensaver clock using roman numerals is a bad idea, but another part of me wants to ask if 4 should be represented as IV (the 'correct' way of writing 4) or IIII as on many analogue clock faces?

My preference would be to do away with the clock altogether and have flying toasters instead ;-)

RedEarth : is that a screensaver clock using roman numerals is a bad idea

I've tried out the set of pictures in #53 and even on a 46 inch TV they're not easy to read, the problem is making the characters small enough to allow XIII to be displayed means they are quite small, we only have 68 pixels to play with

RedEarth :My preference would be to do away with the clock altogether and have flying toasters instead ;-)

I'm still pondering about displaying the 'Top-Ten' Avatars as suggested by BH

Back