[screensaver] alternatives to the default screensaver

It might be worth pointing out that all screensavers (apart from All Black / Blank screensaver) can be selected from the Web-If with no need to set-up Telnet at all and a package to kick off 'Black' from the Web-If could be made if required
Ah, if only I had full WebIf!. I shall try Mr xyz's instructions...

ukayjohn : I thought screensaver selection by WebIf required the use of the package management screen/s which I don't have access to, not having the full interface/Internet connection. If this is not the case, I'm all ears!.

The Web-If doesn't need constant Internet access, It's a connection between your P.C. / Laptop and your Humax, so the only requirement is that both of these are on the same LAN e.g. internal to your house network. you can install it by either connecting to the inter temporarily or by installing it by USB. See the first 'Bundle' on the WiKi packages page HERE

Cor! I'm glad I asked this question! What brave new world that has such people in it.

Thank you!

The Web-If doesn't need constant Internet access, It's a connection between your P.C. / Laptop and your Humax, so the only requirement is that both of these are on the same LAN e.g. internal to your house network. you can install it by either connecting to the inter temporarily or by installing it by USB. See the first 'Bundle' on the WiKi packages page HERE
Realize that of course, but usb install surely only gives limited initial interface, it seems to me that you then need to download full version via internet or, as I do, add additional packages from usb, having obtained them from the hummypkg website via the local library...currently if I click on the package mangement tab/box all I get is a runtime error message, presumably because I don't have full version of WebIf??.

All you need to do is download the respective bundle (the package itself plus all dependencies), copy it to a USB stick, then insert the USB stick in the Humax while the custom firmware is running. The bundle will be picked up and installed just as if it were being downloaded from package management. The package management screen ought to function without a live Internet connection and report the packages installed. If it doesn't there may be a bug, but more likely you have an outdated copy of WebIF - do an upgrade the same as installing by USB. (I have not done any of this personally, but this is how I understand it should work.)

There is far more to the Web Interface than package management - you should still be able to access the settings, and of course browse media files, set them to decrypt, browse the EPG and set recordings...

If you have network access to Telnet, there is no reason not to use the WebIF as well or instead.

ukayjohn : if I click on the package mangement tab/box all I get is a runtime error message

If you can display the Package Management screen from your P.C / Laptop, then you already have the Full Web-If installed, If you can goto Package Management >> Installed it will show the screensaver + Plugins that you have loaded by USB. However it may-be that some pages of the Package Management do need Internet access

All you need to do is download the respective bundle (the package itself plus all dependencies), copy it to a USB stick, then insert the USB stick in the Humax while the custom firmware is running. The
Have done this with the webif 0.9.13-8, still get package management runtime error.

I have packaged up the black screensaver but it also includes a framework for including and selecting other screensavers.

I have just submitted a package for a Glass-Blue screensaver. This is intended to have an elegant appearance that fits in with other equipment illuminated by blue LEDs or with blue VFD displays. It includes a full set of 76 images to give a defocusing effect for the fade-in/out.

Example.png

Hope you like it.

Have done this with the webif 0.9.13-8, still get package management runtime error.
If your Humax has never been able to pull the package catalogue from the Internet then this is probably why. It is a bug though and I'll look at fixing it for the next version of webif.

I have just submitted a package for a Glass-Blue screensaver. This is intended to have an elegant appearance that fits in with other equipment illuminated by blue LEDs or with blue VFD displays. It includes a full set of 76 images to give a defocusing effect for the fade-in/out.

We have an artist on board!

xyz321 has released a new screensaver (version 0.3). This version allows all screensaver changes (including 'Black') to be made from the Web-If >> Settings screen so Telnet does not have to be used

Many thanks 123!.
Looked at it last night and it seems that it will be trying to pull the package meta database from the Internet and that is what's causing the error. The next version of webif will contain a fix and should be out in the next day or two.

Back