Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

I assume that you have a WiFi enabled router. Yes or no?
If 'no' then from where is your WiFi connection coming? And where is your network cable plugged in at the remote end from the Hummy?
If 'yes', are you connecting the network cable to the router or your PC?
When you say 'connected together with no issues' do you mean that you can 'see and play' the content, that is located on your pc, on the Hummy? Or do you mean you can play the content of the Hummy on your PC?

As you have asked for help, and loads has been forthcoming, it would be nice if you would acknowledge some the suggestions/questions given by various people at posts 4, 5, 6, 13, 16 and 17 and report back on your findings.

You definitely seem to have some sort of IP address problem and the best way of sorting that is to try stuff one thing at a time. If your aim is to establish a wired network connection between your Hummy and your PC, then temporarily forget the WiFi side of things and concentrate on the wired connection.
You say that your PC has an IP address 192.168.1.75 with a subset mask of 255 .255.255.0. If your Hummy is connected to the same DHCP server (by wire) it should also pick up an address in the same range. i.e. 192.168.1.xxx and a subset mask of 255 .255.255.0. If it is not doing this, then it is not connecting properly to your DHCP server (usually, but not always, in the router) and you need to find out why.

As pointed out in # 18, I think you should only have a wired LAN connection to the Humax when there is no USB Wi-Fi dongle installed and vice-versa, there is no evidence (as far as I Know) that the Humax can handle both links at the same time

To further clarify, I have a wifi router for internet, but it is out of physical range of my pc so to my pc and humax have a wireless connection. With just the wi fi no "no cable" I was able to see via samba files on the humax but I could not see any pc /network on humax. I thought by running a network cable "no router" betwean the humax and pc this would enable the latter. I have even tried a second old router placed betwean the humy and pc "both set to auto address"
Despite having icon and network connected in both humy and pc. I can't see either device's files.
I have the new situation on the humax where wi fi won't work with the network cable in.
Can't use powerlink plugs as there are 3 devices .
I'm getting quite confused with this situation

You say that your PC has an IP address 192.168.1.75 with a subset mask of 255 .255.255.0.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking of a PC as having one IP address. The correct way to think about it (for most modern TCP/IP implementations; historically there have been other schemes) is that each interface has a different IP address. Some of my servers have five interfaces each with a different IP address.

As I understand the OP is trying to have the Humax connected both by wireless to the Internet and by a cable to the PC. The PC end of it will work but I am very doubtful that the Humax end will work. It would be much simpler to dispense with the hard wired link between PC and Humax then it would be a normal network configuration and much easier to debug.

@ Martin
I hadn't fallen into that trap, but for lack if information on exactly how the OP was trying to configure his stuff (now forthcoming) I was assuming a simple home network with one DHCP server as I think did BH in post 7. Harvey_B in post 2. MET asked the connection question in post 4, as did BH in post 7, as did I again in post 12 and again in post 19. I suspect that ML's hypothesis in post 18 and EP's in post 22 re. whether the Hummy will handle two connections is the most likely cause, but am more than happy to be proved wrong. But now at least the situation as to what the OP is trying to achieve is a bit clearer.

?.. I was able to see via samba files on the humax but I could not see any pc /network on humax.

What are you expecting to see, with respect to the PC, on your Hummy?
Unless you have a DLNA server running on the PC, I don't think you will see anything on the PC.

Can't use powerlink plugs as there are 3 devices .
I'm getting quite confused with this situation

You can use any number of power link plugs... and multiple port ones. I have 4-5 1 port, a 4 port and a 3 port with wireless repeater in use at the moment....Not THAT keen on them as a concept but they do work well and more consistently than WiFi in my opinion. Mine are Zyxel.

I am trying to a chieve a situation where I can create a folder on my pc and access it by either wifi or the wired link. to Humax
I now have a new situation where I can't do anything with the wifi.tv portal with the wired link plugged into either end , I can't seem to revert the settings where both were at least connected together with no issues
I did /can have a situation where I can access the humax files via web address /custom software on pc
The only ways you will be able to do this is to set up a DLNA server on the PC (and access it on the Humax via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network, or using CIFS via custom firmware on the Humax - the easiest way to do this is by the network-shares-automount package. In the latter case the mount will show up as a USB device (Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB) and you will need a real USB device plugged in to fool the Humax into looking for it.

Tried as suggested,I think! Wired now disconnected.! auto settings on network items are .BT router 192.168.1.254/// 255.255.255.0
PC . 192.168.1.75/// sm 255.255.255.0///dg192.168.1.254 dns set to auto
Humax DHCP on ip 192.168.167/// nm 255.255.255.0 GA 192.168.1.254 DNS 192.168.1.254
At humax end I get message saying network connected. then no server found. seems I am back to needing a net server , serviio did not work well.
I was hoping to see files via workgroup as per pc

Tried as suggested,I think! Wired now disconnected.! auto settings on network items are .BT router 192.168.1.254/// 255.255.255.0
PC . 192.168.1.254/// sm 255.255.255.0///dg192.168.1.254 dns set to auto
Humax DHCP on ip 192.168.167/// nm 255.255.255.0 GA 192.168.1.254 DNS 192.168.1.254
At humax end I get message saying network connected. then no server found. seems I am back to needing a net server , serviio did not work well.
I was hoping to see files via workgroup as per pc
I don't think your PC can have the IP address you appear to be quoting. If the BT router is 192.168.1.254 (normal BT default) the the PC can't also be 192.168.1.254. It would conflict with Router!!

If you search the forum you should find a number of discussions, relating to PC based DLNA server software, that may help.

Bwizz, You should also note BH's comment in post #30 reference need to plug in a USB as well.
EDIT: though I'm sure this will be covered in the items referred to by Ezra.

I alread have the custom firmware. I have downloaded and intalled the network shares package. I can see files on the pc . same as before with web interface.
But I can't see pc files on humax . I have usb device plugged into pc Humax says media tomb/pc directory .click on pc directory nothing

Back