Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

I alread have the custom firmware. I have downloaded and intalled the network shares package. I can see files on the pc . same as before with web interface.
But I can't see pc files on humax . I have usb device plugged into pc Humax says media tomb/pc directory .click on pc directory nothing
But have you configured network-shares-automount? You will need to be sure what your PC's IP address is.

For tips see the Network-Shares-Automount topic HERE (click), particularly posts 1, post 244 (page 13), post 305 (page 16).

Seems not. The instructions on page 16 refer to win 7 tried to follow but I assume my xp is different

The instructions on page 16 refer to win 7 tried to follow but I assume my xp is different
Explain exactly what you did and where you had a problem. If you don't tell us exactly what you have done then we are reduced to guessing games.

I have downloaded and installed FTP Commander V8 followed the install instructions on the site. via pc I now see humax files "i could before via samba" and I see a break down of my pc directories. seems I now need to mount it for humax to see my pc. at this point i'm stuck.
i'm now getting avg threat warnings of a recurring temp file. seems related to new prog, not done anything on this yet.
ta for help in this saga

I have downloaded and installed FTP Commander V8 followed the install instructions on the site. via pc I now see humax files "i could before via samba" and I see a break down of my pc directories. seems I now need to mount it for humax to see my pc. at this point i'm stuck.
What I was asking was did you follow the instructions from post 305 on page 16 and if so at what point did you have difficulty?

I just followed the instructions on the initial set up of FTP Commander. This gave me the same situation as samba ie I could see the humax files but not pc via humax I could not follow the instructions an page 16 as they refer to windows 7 ta

I just followed the instructions on the initial set up of FTP Commander. This gave me the same situation as samba ie I could see the humax files but not pc via humax I could not follow the instructions an page 16 as they refer to windows 7 ta
:confused:

I already had a shared folder on my existing wifi network. I have tried to follow instructions on page 16 re shares auto mount.I get stuck at the point Create another network share on the humax. just as an aside why can files not be dropped into the media tomb pc directory on the samba software

You create a network share (using the network-shares-automount package) on the Humax by using the remote control handset and working from the TV screen. Under Media you should see a folder called "[Modsettings]", in there go into "smb" and create a folder with any name you like - it will then be populated automatically with some folder names that you have to edit as per the examples in posts 244 and 305 in the network-shares-automount topic (as referred in post 41)

I don't understand your comments about Media Tomb and "samba software". If you have Media Tomb running on your PC able to serve content, you should be able to access it via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network - that is the DLNA option I explained in post 30. No need for any other messing about if you are going to use DLNA, and it does not use SMB (which is the networking protocol samba adds support for).

If you have installed samba on your HDR-FOX, you should be able to browse the HDR-FOX's HDD from your Windows PC, and drag and drop files as you like. Files moved from the Humax to the PC will not be playable (on the PC) unless you decrypt them before you move them, but files moved from the PC to the Humax will play as long as the format is supported.

I thought the whole point was that you wanted to play files that are hosted on the PC using the Humax.

If you are struggling to understand the terms being used, take a look at my Glossary (click).

I've got gremlin in my pc in the interim. I seem to have got it from the source of the ftp commander . I've now lost a months recent stuff so I will need to start again.
I had /have the samba firmware on my humax . when I look for network on humax I get media tomb/ pc directory . I can't seem to drop anything into it at the pc end though.
some of the terms in the posts I don't understand , I'll have to make shure the pc's gremling free before I do anymore at the mo
Thanks

I alread have the custom firmware. I have downloaded and intalled the network shares package. I can see files on the pc . same as before with web interface.
But I can't see pc files on humax . I have usb device plugged into pc Humax says media tomb/pc directory .click on pc directory nothing
Another line of enquiry ... Does your PC have firewall software on it? If so, it might be worth checking whether the firewall is blocking the connection in from the Humax.

(I had network-share-automount working beautifully, with the Humax successfully mounting the specified media folder on my PC as a usb-drive (accessed via blue button from Humax Media) Then one day it stopped working, which was puzzling until I realised it coincided with upgrading the firewall software on my PC. So I ploughed through the firewall logs until I found some clues. I changed some of the ICMP settings and then the network connection worked again)

I've checked windows firewall media portal is allowed. I brought up media tomb again on my pc . I can't drop files into it. before starting I get a windows warning that I only get basic operation via internet explorer?

I now have a situation that I can access humax by either wifi or lan ,not together! I bring up the media tomb / pc director on samba software. But can't drop anything into it.
neither can I play anything sd or otherwise. at the pc end . I have vlc media player installed.

I now have a situation that I can access humax by either wifi or lan ,not together!
You can't use both Ethernet and WiFi network connections at the same time on the HDR-FOX. Ethernet has priority: an active LAN connection will disconnect the wireless dongle.

Back