Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

I have the samba de crypt enabled , I also just installed vlc . when i select files via samba or otherwise, there is hard drive actity but nothing happens
samba decrypt? Samba and decryption are entirely separate functions ...
Just to check we are on the same page ...

Please open the 'WebIF' (the web interface) for your humax HDR on your PC (if unsure, please say, and we'll help with WebIF first)

On the 'Browse' page, navigate to a programme file you would like to play on your PC.

Please confirm that at the end of the file name there is a green oval shape with 'Dec' on it.

If there is no green 'Dec' icon then the file needs to be decrypted - click on OPT+ at the end of the line and choose Decrypt.

If there is a green 'Dec' icon then the file has been decrypted and should play over your network with VLC. Go back to 'Network Places', click on 'My Video on Samba HDR-Fox-T2', and navigate to the same programme recording. Of the three or four component files (.hmt, .nts, .thm and .ts) highlight the .ts file, click on the File menu (top left) and choose 'Play with VLC media player' and VLC should open and play successfully.

(DelftBlue got there first)

What is all this "samba" business?? Samba is the name of a program that runs under Linux to provide Windows-compatible networking (SMB protocol). This is installed in the custom firmware by the samba package, and enables network file sharing. It has nothing to do with decryption.

Do you realise that if you click the OPT+ button for a recording in the WebIF media browser, there is a "play" option (as long as you have the VLC extension installed in your web browser)?

In network devices ,I can't now click on the humax samba video icon. I get message I don't have permission or may not be available. It was working, I have rebooted ,still the same. I did not know of the purpose of the opti button. I have been double clicking on the media file, this gives me a play option. In the opti there are various options but I can't see play.

@ bwiz. This is like pulling teeth and somewhat confusing.
There are people here trying to help you, but you seem to be studiously ignoring their posts and/or not responding to them.
Your posts are more like a blog of what you have or have not been able to achieve and they are sometimes ambiguous and confusing. For example, you said that you "can't now click on the samba video icon", but then go on to say the you get an error message (presumably in response to you clicking it?). If you can't click on it, how can you get an error message? If you are getting the error message from something else you are doing, tell us what exactly what you did to provoke it. If something is greyed out, you can't click on it. If clicking something produces an error message, you can click on it. If you can click on it but it is not doing what you expect it to do this is a lot different than "Can't click on it". You have referred to the Opt+ button as opti. Ok the latter is not a big problem to understand, but is not accurate.
It took until post #70 until you told us exactly what you are trying to achieve. Others had to make suppositions about it.
DelftBlue has given you some steps to perform at post #81 (are there really that many posts without getting anywhere) but you have completely ignored his suggestions, or at least not come back to report on your progress.
Your problem can almost certainly be resolved but you must help us help you by answering the direct questions that people ask you (you have ignored several) and trying out the procedures/tests suggested by people and accurately report back on what happened when you tried them.

I have no idea what a "samba video icon" is. Has the OP given something the arbitrary name "samba" to confuse us, for example the server name for the HDR-FOX?

I am not ignoring these but as a result of various suggestions, I have corrupted my computer with malware, then take ages restoring back ups to get back to where I was previously. I now have network icons that I can't access or remove. another back up restore

I am not ignoring these but as a result of various suggestions, I have corrupted my computer with malware
How did that happen? Any packages for the Humax, downloaded using Web-If will be malware free. Anything you may have downloaded onto your PC could certainly have contained malware, but as only you have control of what you download, from which sources, and not knowing what steps you take to protect yourself from such threats, it is hard to see how this is the fault of any advice given on this forum.

I'm not blaming anyone ,I chose the source of the download. I have up to date anti everything. I do regular back ups for just such an event. But these things take time and a lot of concentration. I am trying to keep a busy life going around sorting my issues .As there are no suggestions re icons that I described, I will restore another back up to resolve the icon Issue.
Then I will be back to where I was on Sunday

I have the samba de crypt enabled ...
Could you explain what you mean by this please?
When we refer to decrypt in our responses we are talking about the Custom Firmware function, nothing to do with Samba per se.
Are you referring to the same function?

In the mod firmware I have selected a de crypt option. Without knowing how it works, I am now know, "opti button "
Thanks

Can you confirm that you have auto_unprotect installed.
Have you checked the file via webif to see that it has both the Dec and circle with three dots icons next to it.
ExampleImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401198880.676007.jpg

That's the Parental Guidance icon (which speakers for itself...). What about the Enc icon? Or the DLNA icon? If you could post screen shots and console text grabs it would be much easier for us to work out what's going on.

List of icons HERE (click).

This is like pulling teeth and somewhat confusing.
There are people here trying to help you, but you seem to be studiously ignoring their posts and/or not responding to them.....
Thank you Trev. It does seem like that. I began to wonder whether it was a wind-up. :(

I have received a lot of immensely kind and patient help here on this forum, assisting me to navigate the jungle of things I don't understand and arrive at the sunlit uplands of clarity and a Humax HDR that works wonderfully. I am very grateful for all this help. So, in return, I would like to help others here, where I can, with the little crumbs of knowledge I have grasped.
But it works best when there is a comprehensible to and fro of advice and feedback and we are not achieving that on this one.
DelftBlue has given you some steps to perform at post #81 .... but you have completely ignored his suggestions, or at least not come back to report on your progress....

Thought I ought to say that it's actually her suggestions :p (Although, of course, in this context, gender is irrelevant :) )
Your problem can almost certainly be resolved but you must help us help you by answering the direct questions that people ask you

A fundamental one: Does the file have the green 'Dec' icon or not? Yes or No?

If you want to play a file via Samba on a PC with VLC media player, it must have a 'Dec' icon.
The Wiki has lots of info on this and how to achieve it.

I have no idea what a "samba video icon" is.
BH: I think this is in Windows XP. The screenpage for 'My Network Places' shows the connections made with Samba and different views are possible, via the 'View' menu.
I have the 'Details' setting so the items appear as full text in lines. However if the other display options are chosen - Thumnails, Tiles or Icons - then there would be a 'samba video icon'.

In network devices ,I can't now click on the humax samba video icon. I get message I don't have permission or may not be available.
I get this message too sometimes.
Possible causes:
a) The Humax HDR is off, powered down, in stand-by mode. So switch HDR on again to blue ring on front.
b) The network cables/devices are unplugged. Double-check connections.
c) The router has got muddled somehow. Reboot router.
d) Problems with IP addresses. I prefer to set static IP addresses for all HDRs and connected devices (addresses with widely differing end numbers, all above 50 so there is no risk of collisions with anything automatically allocated by DHCP)
You can set a static address for the Humax HDR via remote control MENU button >System >Internet Setting >Configure LAN >Manual.
The numbers depend on your set-up and router.
But a typical example would be something like:
IP Adress: 192.168.1.99
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
DNS Address: 192.168.1.1

HTH

There is no dec icon . I have a grey icon with a G in it with most files
And what about the green circle with three dots in it and the auto_unprotect.
You have only answered part of the question asked.
It is very difficult to help you if you don't answer all of the questions.

It seems like pulling teeth!

I have the other icon but not the dec. The router and humax are on have not changed anything apart from unselect media tomb. I am aware about static address's
If it so painfull to help me ,easy solution, don't help!

Back