Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

I now have a situation that I can access humax by either wifi or lan ,not together! I bring up the media tomb / pc director on samba software. But can't drop anything into it.
neither can I play anything sd or otherwise. at the pc end . I have vlc media player installed.
Frankly, from your descriptions I have no idea what you have done, what you are trying to do, or how you are trying to do it.

Frankly, from your descriptions I have no idea what you have done, what you are trying to do, or how you are trying to do it.
I said that up thread and got the usual criticism and a petty Like which went with it. I expect you won't get the same.

"Then why comment".

I said that up thread and got the usual criticism and a petty Like which went with it. I expect you won't get the same.

"Then why comment".
I have removed the offending comments that you are referring to.

Re Black hole / If you have Media Tomb running on your PC able to serve content, you should be able to access it via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network - that is the DLNA option I explained in post 30. No need for any other messing about if you are going to use DLNA, and it does not use .

I am trying to achieve what your post suggest should happen

I'm puzzled, if all you are trying to achieve is access to your PC DLNA server from your hummy, why are you getting into samba, network-share-auto mounts, etc.?
DNLA sharing does not even require Custom Firmware.

Good idea to start from scratch then. I have disconnected wired link! Using my working wifi portal. I want to A drop music etc into a folder on pc and access it at the humax end. B be able to play video content on humax via whatever at the pc end

So you need your PC set up with a DLNA server that uses the music folder as one of its sources.
The hummy should then be able to access the music on your PC DLNA server via Media>Blue button>PC Server ... you must make sure you set media to Music first.

For the other way, you will need a DLNA client on your PC (VLC ?) to access the hummy DLNA server, to play movies from there.

EDIT: Forgot to say, if you wish to stream HiDef recordings from the Hummy, you will need Custom Firmware to "reset" the enc flag (auto_unencode) on these files before they will stream via DLNA.

I have VLC on pm pc .I also have arcsoft total media . On this I can veiw humax files but when I select sd files to play ,the hard drive churns for a while and nothing happens Can't see anything in it to configure for network. on either arcsoft or vlc. when I select network media on humax via blue button .I get message no server found.

I don't have VLC on my PC and I don't tend to watch Hummy stuff via my PC. But ...
I have just checked out a couple of things in this area.
I am using Windows 7, I'm not sure what you are using.

When I turn on the hummy, within a short time if I select network on my PC it lists numerous items. Amongst them is a Media Device called "HDR-FOX T2 Media Server". This is the Hummy DLNA server.
If I double click this windows kicks off Windows Media Player.
Listed in the "Other Libraries" section is the same hummy DLNA server. This can be used to access and play the relevant hummy recordings.

If you can't see the hummy server in windows network, to start with, and you have sharing turned on on your hummy, then you would appear to have a network or windows problem.

Selecting a network DLNA source in VLC is a little obscure, but I'm sure it has been documented on here somewhere. I doubt Windows Media Player has the right codecs, or that it is able to negotiate the DLNA media navigation. Google "site:hummy.tv/forum vlc", or check my index (link in my sig panel). The Humax DLNA server must be turned on (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On), and given time to index the content when first turned on. Up to date versions of VLC are capable of playing HiDef content, but the Humax will not serve HiDef unless you unlock the content using the custom firmware auto-unprotect package. No such restrictions with StDef, and no need to decrypt content first.

As far as accessing PC content is concerned, a DLNA server has to be active (I have no experience of Media Tomb; I made XBMC work at one time although others have failed with it) and you have to register the content (not just drop stuff into a folder). The Humax DLNA client will only list media of a specific type at any one time - select video, music, or photos from Media >> Media (yellow), it defaults to video so no MP3s will be listed until you select music.

Thanks for your more detailed input.
For info, I was not recommending Media Player it was just suggested to prove the connections.
Incidently, it picked up the hummy DLNA server and presented it like a normal folder structure.
When I selected a recording at random (SD recording of Borgan in this case) it started to play it with no problem. Though I doubt if it would have the codecs for HD especially the audio.
If the OP can get as far as seeing the Hummy DLNA server under the windows network view it would seem to be a major step forward.

Just re checked. Hummy end FTP server is on ,Contents share on, says network connected . Then when I select network in hd/network option.I get message no server found
I am using windows xp pro.on my dektop pc, I can see my notepad and shared folder via wifi network. I have uninstalled media tomb as I could not access/ drop anything into it

Just made some sort of progress. I added a network place via windoes , in network devices I now see the humax on samba and again see the humax video files,
but i can't play them, nor is humax listed in workgroup . At the humax end ,still no server found

Just made some sort of progress. I added a network place via windoes , in network devices I now see the humax on samba and again see the humax video files,
but i can't play them

To play the .ts files that you can see via Samba in your 'Network Places', the files need to be:
1) decrypted and
2) you need something compatible to play them with. (VLC works well)

I have the samba de crypt enabled , I also just installed vlc . when i select files via samba or otherwise, there is hard drive actity but nothing happens

Back