Since we'll all be locked in our houses, Coronavirus

is pedantry about to make a return?

it was quite easy to make a decent attempt. here goes pedants

Member Of (house of) Lords

Do you not see the MASSIVE bias in your appraisals of lefties and righties? this rightie is a whore, that one is disturbing and then you talk about the lefties : it was a silly mistake, that one is an idiot, but they're lovely really. unbelievable.
I called no one a whore. You seem to be employing a strawman argument.

And I stand by that comment but where have I given praise to the left ? Both parties are filled with career politicians who would sell their own grandmothers for personnel gain. The only "silly mistake" I see is you assuming that someone who has contempt for the Right must support the Left. I have zero faith in either side or any of the lies they peddle or promises they constantly fail to achieve. Both parties pander to their wealthy sponsors to the detriment of the common man and that is nothing more than corruption.

And I stand by that comment but where have I given praise to the left ? Both parties are filled with career politicians who would sell their own grandmothers for personnel gain. The only "silly mistake" I see is you assuming that someone who has contempt for the Right must support the Left. I have zero faith in either side or any of the lies they peddle or promises they constantly fail to achieve. Both parties pander to their wealthy sponsors to the detriment of the common man and that is nothing more than corruption.
wait wait wait

are you saying you're neither a leftie nor a rightie? wtf are you?

when the first case came from france, why oh why did the govt not shut down ALL flights. we're an island ffs. force the irish do the same thing otherwise put border patrols.

once you stopped the virus coming in then you can trickle the healthy incomers into the country after enforced quarantine. yeah the chunnel can be dealt with.

NOW we have shut down all flights anyway or will be v shortly but CRUCIALLY shut down virtually ALL our economy and acquired minimum 100,000 infections. you can introduce any number you guess but i'm sure mine is PRETTY good.

is pedantry about to make a return?
For me pedantry is something to be achieved, as is basic grammar, spelling and punctuation, sadly lacking in posts on this and other fora. I have given up reading comments on newspaper articles, as the aforementioned English ignorance of the posters shows a distinct lack of education and willingness to learn.
Acronyms are useful if they are common, but sometimes they exist only in the writer's head.

However, your and others' take on the political spectrum is interesting and amusing. I prefer to do more interesting things with my time, but being an outdoorsy type this virus outbreak is going to be a challenge.

As to the other ones, there are plenty carrying on as normal like headless chickens.
Mad, isn't it? People won't behave appropriately, so it's no good expecting them to. All supplies should be rationed, and preferably delivered, so those who don't need to go out have no excuse (and we don't have to join a melee to find what we need).

All supplies should be rationed, and preferably delivered, so those who don't need to go out have no excuse (and we don't have to join a melee to find what we need).

You may want to order ahead since there are in some shops delays of ten days or more

To be honest, I don't know how to navigate all this. I'm sort-of in the "at risk" group myself, but I'm also the main support for somebody (living 30 miles away) definitely at risk and likely to take risks if I'm not there. I think she should come and stay with me, but unless I can ensure supplies without me having to go out and fight for them she would be no better off.

We're OK for a few days (and I can manage longer than that), but what happens then is anyone's guess. I'm hoping things might have calmed down.

Mad, isn't it? People won't behave appropriately, so it's no good expecting them to. All supplies should be rationed, and preferably delivered, so those who don't need to go out have no excuse (and we don't have to join a melee to find what we need).
Yes it is mad. I usually go shopping on a Friday morning (at the same time each week) and can get what we need. Normally there might be three or four checkouts working in the local Morrisons and if there is a queue of two deep on any checkout I'd say it was busy. Last week was different, but today was even worse. Almost no stock. No fresh chickens, no milk, no canned veg, no pasta, no frozen veg or meat, small amount of frozen fish, no soap, poor choice of washing up liquid and, of course, no bloody bog rolls. I only hope the person wandering around with over ten of the same item held against his chest, walking about like Lord Muck, heard me mutter "greedy bastard" and was told to foxtrot oscar by the checkout staff. There were about ten checkouts in use, most with queues of 6 or more blocking the route around the shop. The one saving grace was that I missed the bus so had to walk home. Therefore I didn't mix with people on public transport - I just mixed with the crowds that turned up and stripped the shelves. Which is more unhygenic - the bus with only three passengers or the crowded shop?
As for people not behaving appropriately - I'm not too happy with the local hairdresser that operates in an area where many over 70s live actively encouraging them to carry on with their weekly/fortnightly hair appointments. Which part of isolate for 12 weeks is not clear?

We shopped this week in two stores, Morrison's, which didn't have many essentials and Aldi, which apart from no long life milk was trading normally with sufficient stock. We noticed that the majority of shoppers were behaving responsibly and not overdoing it. This means we are able to survive for two or three weeks without having to shop again.
As for self isolation, we have easy access to the North Eastern Lakeland fells and felt obliged to take in a lot of fresh air on such a clear, sunny day. It seemed rude not to.
Mind you, 50/60 others were doing the same but distancing from each other by dozens of metres!

As for the hairdressers, I thought about that too. After 12 weeks or so, I'll look like a Herdwick and need the local shearers!

I sincerely hope those on this forum get by ok.

Maybe, if I can find a virtual hairdresser...
Just buy some barber's clippers and give yourself a number 2 cut.
The top of my head is not unlike the avatar. The back and the sides are going to get a bit long - but I had the foresight to go to the barber a week and a half ago. So I'm alright. Pity I can't find a virtual hairdresser for my 90 year old mother who has been "encouraged" to keep an appointment next week. I have a feeling I'm going to have to bow lock the hairdresser in the coming days - especially if the letter or telephone call from someone in the NHS to vulnerable people materialises at the beginning of next week.

Back