slow epg

Yes. Mine has 10 items in the schedule list and performance on the EPG is terrible. This is hardly what I would call 'a lot'.

I have a couple of boxes with no scheduled recordings, and only seven channels tuned in, and the EPG is still Very slow.

Yes. Mine has 10 items in the schedule list and performance on the EPG is terrible. This is hardly what I would call 'a lot'.
Sorry, not good enough, does your undefined 'terrible' get better with fewer items in the schedule and worse with more ? where are the figures? my measurements are HERE

I have a couple of boxes with no scheduled recordings, and only seven channels tuned in, and the EPG is still Very slow.
This is why I have said that some (but not all) of the lag can be removed by reducing the entries the the recording schedule, I don't dispute that the EPG in 1.03.xx is always slower than 1.02.xx, just that it gets worse with more schedule entries

So don't imply that reducing the number of schedule entries is going to cure the slow EPG problem then, because it isn't.
My undefined 'terrible' is as valid as your undefined 'lots', so don't try and be clever.

prpr : So don't imply that reducing the number of schedule entries is going to cure the slow EPG problem then, because it isn't. My undefined 'terrible' is as valid as your undefined 'lots', so don't try and be clever.
I have never described it as a cure. The 'lots' was backed up by a link to my measurements, where are yours?

How many items do you have in your recordings schedules list? the EPG navigation seems to slow down when you have lots of schedule entries. There is an example on the 'other thread' HERE
This is my wife's T2 and she has a total of 3 items in the schedules list, 2 live and one complete, so this probably strengthens your case.

I've not seen anybody else mention it, but if you use the iPlate (press the i button) and press right/left on this to cycle the programs on that channel, it does not lag.

Now surely this is pulling from the same epg data, so it pretty much rules out the epg database as being the source of the problem. The problem seems to be limited to the actual EPG screen.

So what is different between these two screens?
1) a lot more data on display at once
2) more graphical icons (including scheduled icons) are being loaded

1 can be ruled out as someone mentioned that they only had the HD channels tuned in and it was still slow.
2 can be ruled out by doing a crude test by deleting or replacing the icons with 1x1 sized icons (I cannot do this, so cannot test)

The only other difference can be that Humax have changed something in the EPG screen code which is causing lag. In which case, there is nothing we can do until Humax put out an update.

I've just tried the epg on my newly acquired grade A HDR, now on 1.03.12 (updated from 1.03.11). I have one timer set.
I noticed that scrolling down through the full TV epg speeded up when it got to the adult channels. Could this be because the amount of data is so much less than for normal channels?

aciddad said:
I noticed that scrolling down through the full TV epg speeded up when it got to the adult channels.
It is specifically designed that way so you can get out of this section quickly in the event of the other half coming back into the room and looking at the TV screen;)

Sorry to revive on old thread - not sure if any of the newer "slow epg" threads have any new info - apologies if they do. Just thought I'd share some new observations....

So I'll start by saying that I was initially quite vocal about how slow the epg was on 1.03.xx I found it completely unusable and reverted back to 1.02.xx even though I often use iplayer and it is implemented much better on 1.03.xx.

Anyway the reason I ended giving 1.03.xx another try was that my hdd broke and I'd read that 1.03.xx supported formating 2tb drives. So before fitting my new drive I installed 1.03.xx.

Super slow epg as expected but I planned on downgrading to 1.02.xx once the formating of my new drive was done.

New drive installed and formated.

Now the epg speed was good - similar to 1.02.xx previously. I restored my recording schedule ( around 15 items) and epg speed was still good.

Confused now so just left my box running 1.03.xx expecting the epg to get slow eventually over time.

Months later now and epg speed still good.

So in summary. My humax box epg was previously unusable on 1.03.xx but now after a new hdd fitted is ok.

Possible reasons?

1) new hdd "just better" - hmm..
2) epg slowdown not caused by number of scheduled items but maybe fragmentation of the hdd partition with epg/schedule data? And I've just not given it enough time to slow down?
3) slowdown caused by error when upgrading from 1.02.xx to 1.03.xx - this is the first time I've done a clean install of 1.03.xx.
4) my epg is slowly getting slower over time but I'm not noticing - possible, but I used to get delays of up to a second and I'm definitely not getting that now.

Any thoughts? I always found it strange that some people didn't think the slow epg issue was an issue and others find it unusable. And now I've gone from one extreme to another.

I've recently been in touch with Humax over their too slow response to the problem and they say they're 'still working on it'.

So in summary. My humax box epg was previously unusable on 1.03.xx but now after a new hdd fitted is ok.

Possible reasons?

1) ...
2) epg slowdown not caused by number of scheduled items but maybe fragmentation of the hdd partition with epg/schedule data? And I've just not given it enough time to slow down?
3) ...
4) .....

My 1.03.xx has had a newer HDD fitted and the slow down is still worse if I add many entries to the schedule

1) ...
2) ...
3) ...
4) my epg is slowly getting slower over time but I'm not noticing - possible, but I used to get delays of up to a second and I'm definitely not getting that now..
I used to get more of a delay than I do now before anything happened on my 1.03.xx. Scrolling is still slow but that initial delay is still annoyingly longer than my 1.02.20 but is not as long as it used to be.
I think previously it had been 1.03.06 that had an even longer pause before navigation started, while now I am using 1.03.12 on my 1.03.xx with an updated kernel.

I'm on a new 2tb hdd and it's still occasionally slow. Seems to be when there are a few dead series links in the schedule. But when they are cleared it can be just as before. Other times, it's fine.

Now, the only real big change to 1.03.xx is the browser, so maybe it's just a memory issue. Maybe the allocated memory space is just a bit over (a typo for example in the settings) and this is causing a lag.. That's where I would be looking first.

Back