Subtitles

Not translation but I have a distant memory of a rude word being bleeped in sound but appearing in the subtitles.
Me too. I think it sometimes happens on HIGNFY, though lately they seem to let most stuff through. That may not be true of the Friday 'early' version as I only watch the extended one on Monday.
Back on topic - the reason I only watch the extended one is that by then the subtitling has been done properly and is in sync. On the early edition the subtitles are 'live' and lag the action as well as being scrappy in presentation.

It is DVB subtitles, Teletext subtitles do not work at all, the screen shows "100 (6 green arrows, repeating) 100 888". As if it is on the home page, and looking for another page, 888 the subtitle page. Just a thought, I am thinking this started when the BBC dropped SD in favour of HD for BBC1 and 2 . But why should it affect other channels as well the BBC? I do have custom firmware(cant remember what) but its not been any problem for at least 4-5 years .

Last edited:
It shows "Custom FW v4.1.2" on the front panel display as it boots up.
Latest is 4.1.3
Download link is here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/useful-links-for-the-foxsat-hdr-customised-firmware.3330/
It would be worth updating if you want to attempt any hard disk diagnostics/fixing as some of that was in the newer realease.

Teletext subs you have to enter 888 via the remote's number keypad to view them. Much larger, cruder, font but same text and colours as the DVB (Tiresa font) ones on my Foxsat...
Now I've used subs on the Foxsat it's actually quite difficult to select Teletext and easy to revert to DVB :roflmao:

BBC 6 O clock news has had only yellow and yellow text for the short time I watched.
Exactly the same on Freeview via my TV though!

They did use white for studio presenter and yellow for reporter, but that changed to white part way through. Interviewee was yellow. Back to white for reporter. Stayed white for presenter's "thank you/name check". Possibly simple human error as some items are live subtitled, possibly a foible of the live subtitling system?

I don't know why you are having issues, though and only on the Foxsat: Check the signal diagnostics on the channels you watch to see if the level and or quality is poor or varying on the affected channels.

Yes, select 888, and I get subtitles, as described!! White for narrator, and reliably different colours for different interviewees (progs- "Railways, the Making of a Nation", "Forencics, the Real CSI"). Signal meter reads 80% strength, and 100% quality

Yes, select 888, and I get subtitles, as described!! White for narrator, and reliably different colours for different interviewees (progs- "Railways, the Making of a Nation", "Forencics, the Real CSI"). Signal meter reads 80% strength, and 100% quality
A test is to watch DVB subs and only via recordings made... and when it 'goes wrong' for you, skip back a few minutes and watch the recording again to prove its the same; then switch to teletext subs, skip back to the same place and see if it's identical or different.

The Foxsat records the TV data (transport) stream including both subtitle streams, vision and both sound streams (Main and Narration). It records including any received data errors that can't be automatically corrected.

80% S 100% Q while OK isn't especially good for the UK on many transponders... but without knowing which BBC ONE, ITV (and other channels) I can't comment further. However it's unlikely IMHO that the problems are anything other than the normal 'mistakes' that happen and appear on all platforms.
Unless you have recordings of the same programme transmitted on both Freeview and Freesat on the same day/time where one is good and the other bad...

I have watched a number of programs over the last few days both live (eg, news, "scriptless", like QI, Pointless) recorded (soaps, films, sitcoms) including +1, on different channels, recordings using both Teletext and DVB subtitles. Most of the DVBs have colour errors at times. The Teletext never have colour errors, they are always accurate. The written text always agrees.

BBC programmes: write to them with the specific programmes and as much detail as you can wrt time within the programmes where this happens. Include that it's a Foxsat-HDR and the South BBC One that you watch/record.
Specifics are important to aid fault-finding / tracing.
Access services are important to BBC and they wouldn't want this sort of error to occur, even if it is a specific coding issue only affecting one service via satellite and not via terrestrial (and maybe even one specific receiver).
BBC South is on a shared transponder (not BBC services only, and even includes $ky encrypted services) - but that won't account for you observing the same on other services (inc +1 versions).

As I don't use subs normally I can't readily confirm/deny the same on my version of BBC ONE for the same programme, if I had it recorded. Although your tests do seem to show that your Humax has an issue with the colours on DVB subs only, my brief experiment did not as both DVB and teletext had the same incorrect colour issue.

If interested the BBC publishes all sorts of useful information about subtitling for the Industry: https://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/forproducts/guides/subtitles/

Other broadcasters may or may not be as interested (though some will be). So it may be worth writing to those, as well?

Note that if it is a Humax issue (e.g. non-compliance with a subtle part of the spec) it will probably never be corrected as Humax have dropped support for the product long ago.

Back