[sysmon] System Monitoring

Here are some more measurements (not assumptions) :-

12:35 to 12:40 55C Fan off (6 measurements)
12:41 55C Fan On Full
12:42 to 12:45 54C Fan on full (4 measurements)
12:46 to 12:48 51C Fan on Half (3 measurements)
12:49 to 12:52 49C Fan on Quarter (4 measurements)
12:53 47C Fan Off

I think this shows the fan is not controlled by the HDD Temp, also can't explain 'jumps' in temperatures e.g. no 53, 52, 50 or 48C readings

I've loaded sysmon and it says my fan never runs. The temperature go from 22 up to about 53. Due to space I have my HDR on its end with the display at the bottom and the buttons at the top.

David, does your sysmon show a graph going up to 53C and staying there? e.g. flat line, Does the temperature ever go down from 53 and then back up?

My 500GB Hummy has been on 1 hour. We are watching a recording and in this time the temperature has gone from 24degC to 43degC. Is this normal or would it normally be higher than this by now?

David, does your sysmon show a graph going up to 53C and staying there? e.g. flat line, Does the temperature ever go down from 53 and then back up?
No

Edit:. Yes sometimes. Let me investigate that more.

OK with the latest sysmon loaded my temperature never goes above 46degC. It does go up and down but only once or twice over 2 or 3 hours so it could be a load thing where it gets hotter when recording 2 streams and playing and then cools down when just watching.

I'm not sure there is a 'normal'. There is environment (including ambient and unit location) and usage over time. When just watching a recording the drive is probably at its lowest demand. When I ran tests I made sure I was recording 2xHD and watching another HD. This was the highest stress I could think of (for the drive, not me!).

If I artificially heat my external drive I would be able to confirm whether it is using the drive temp or not but not an easy or particularly pleasant thing to do! Is it really worth doing? What would be gained?

Here are some more measurements (not assumptions) :-

12:35 to 12:40 55C Fan off (6 measurements)
12:41 55C Fan On Full
12:42 to 12:45 54C Fan on full (4 measurements)
12:46 to 12:48 51C Fan on Half (3 measurements)
12:49 to 12:52 49C Fan on Quarter (4 measurements)
12:53 47C Fan Off

I think this shows the fan is not controlled by the HDD Temp, also can't explain 'jumps' in temperatures e.g. no 53, 52, 50 or 48C readings
There are no "missing temperatures" when it is rising from 47°C to 55°C so that would suggest that there are no problems with lack of resolution or loss of accuracy during scaling. The jumps are probably due to the 1 minute sampling interval.

. Yes sometimes. Let me investigate that more.
OK with the latest sysmon loaded my temperature never goes above 46degC. It does go up and down but only once or twice over 2 or 3 hours so it could be a load thing where it gets hotter when recording 2 streams and playing and then cools down when just watching.

I would suggest that if the temperature is going down then the fan is comming on, My Humax runs from cold for 2 hours before the fan comes on yours will probably take even longer

new-sysmon2.jpgnew-sysmon.jpg

David, That's great, I wouldnt expect the fan to come on if the HDD never gets above 46C, Could you just confirm that above results are from a standard HDR with factory fitted 500GB internal HDD and the only 'non-normal' thing is that the unit is vertical as opposed to it standing on its feet

I've taken some time out of my breaks between snooker sessions cares of the world and built an exhaust airflow gauge. Fan came on (presumably full) a few minutes ago, I'll see if I can detect any gradation.

OK, I'm getting a 4mm baffle deflection which kicked off some time after the reported temperature hit 55, and it has throttled down to 2.5mm with a reported 54. It's now down to zero possibly because I didn't notice an intermediate, will check again.

Either way I am satisfied there are indeed several fan speeds.

@af123: the fan speed zones should be vertical rather than horizontal to have any meaning, and I'm not seeing any "full on" zones on my temperature profile presumably because it doesn't exceed the trigger temperature. So the rising part of the graph would be "fan off", then the "full on" zone starts at the fan trigger temperature until the throttle down, etc.

More rambling: looking back through the long-term record I see there are just the occasional peak that goes into the red zone. While my Humax is recording though (not just the live buffer) it never seems to go into the green zone even though my gauge says the fan isn't running (maybe I can't tell the difference between quarter and off) - but more to the point if the temperature climbs again before green, the fan picks up half speed and does not wait until it needs full speed. Over the last couple of hours it's been oscillating between light and dark blue, but all recording has now stopped so I'll see if it is the reduced airflow caused by my gauge that is causing it!

It was the airflow. I have adjusted the gauge to be more sensitive and impose less impedance. New calibration to follow.

David, That's great, I wouldnt expect the fan to come on if the HDD never gets above 46C, Could you just confirm that above results are from a standard HDR with factory fitted 500GB internal HDD and the only 'non-normal' thing is that the unit is vertical as opposed to it standing on its feet
That's correct, standard 500GB unit, no mods apart from custom firmware and it sits to the right hand side of my right speaker sitting on its left hand end, ie vertically.

IMG_00000089_edit0_edit0.jpg

That's correct, standard 500GB unit, no mods apart from custom firmware and it sits to the right hand side of my right speaker sitting on its left hand end, ie vertically.

The perfect solution for uses who are bothered by the fan, We'll have to design a bolt-on stand / heatsink - Problem solved ! ! !

@af123
I noticed that it has shrunk, thank you for that. However, and this is probably just me, the icon still seems to 'jump out of the screen' too much. I know it's been mentioned before, but why not put it under the Diagnostics menu?
It's me being OCD, but I like to 'box things off' nice and tidy.

As an aside, my comment about the green colour of the graphics in Sysmon were made before I realised that you could click on the chart and break the information down into bite sized chunks, so apologies for that.

Back