Transcoding HDR-2000T DLNA files to a PC DLNA server

tonyb61

Hi,
I have a HUMAX HRD2000T which has media sharing setup, and serves my recordings via DLNA. Using my PC as a DLNA client allows me to watch the SD recordings on my PC using VLC for example. I know HD files will not work as they are encrypted. However my Sony TV will not play those same SD files from the Humax DLNA server. It sees all the files, and when I open one, reports the file is not playable. Now the TV manual said supports TS containers, and MPEG2 coding files, so should be able to play the Humax which uses ts files coded in MPEG2 (for SD).
Is there a way I could have a DLNA server on my PC that imports files from the Humax DLNA server, and transcodes them into a suitable file format that my Sony TV supports ?

Thanks

Last edited:
the TV manual said supports TS containers, and MPEG2 coding files, so should be able to play the Humax which uses ts files coded in MPEG2 (for SD).
The problem is that the broadcast streams are not true TS but actually M2TS. TVs are (of course) able to handle M2TS, but rarely seem prepared to when offered them as a media file (or stream).

Is there a way I could have a DLNA server on my PC that imports files from the Humax DLNA server, and transcodes them into a suitable file format that my Sony TV supports ?
The method for copying StDef (and even HiDef) recordings out of HDR-1800T/2000T is well known - see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/downloading-decrypted-recordings-to-pc-including-hidef.5379/ or Things Every... (click) section 5.

Once you have the files, you can do what you like with them. Simply changing the file extension from .ts to .m2ts (so that they are correctly identified) may be sufficient. Alternatively you could re-mux them to proper TS. To transcode on the fly, look at Serviio.

However, wouldn't it be easier to simply play them by DLNA streaming on a device that can handle them... and has an HDMI output? My preferred player is an HD-FOX, but a cheap Android tablet should do.

The TV is in our bedroom, and I'd like a simple solution for the TV end. Having the files on a dlna server in a compatible form would be better for me.
I know I could do the copy manually from the humax, but it means having to remember to do it when new recordings are made, ideally I was hoping to be able to have a dlna server that monitors the files on the humax dlna server, and transcodes them when the file is served. Alternatively a process on my pc that copies new files from the humax dlna server and modifies/transcodes them into a suitable form for my pc DLNA server to serve....

I think you are asking a bit much. What you want is possible, but not with an off-the-shelf solution so it would depend what lengths you are prepared to go to with scripts etc.

The simple solution for the TV end is a HD-FOX - exactly what I do. The TV is then just an HDMI monitor, with the HD-FOX doing all the heavy lifting as DVB-T/T2 tuner, Humax TS compatible DLNA media client, and iPlayer/YouTube portal. It's simple, it works, and with a small amount of preparation it will even stream the HiDef recordings from your 2000T. Hell, you can even hook up an external USB hard drive and use it for local recordings and live pause!

Ah, yes, which could explain why a TV can't cope with M2TS. I should have said "as recorded".

I think you are asking a bit much. What you want is possible, but not with an off-the-shelf solution so it would depend what lengths you are prepared to go to with scripts etc.

The simple solution for the TV end is a HD-FOX - exactly what I do. The TV is then just an HDMI monitor, with the HD-FOX doing all the heavy lifting as DVB-T/T2 tuner, Humax TS compatible DLNA media client, and iPlayer/YouTube portal. It's simple, it works, and with a small amount of preparation it will even stream the HiDef recordings from your 2000T. Hell, you can even hook up an external USB hard drive and use it for local recordings and live pause!

My wife hates boxes and wires, the network cable and power are bad enough !, and the TV already does everything in your list except play my HDR-2000T recordings so it's a hard sell :)

...until she decides she wants to watch that recording of Corrie (or whatever) in bed! You'll be surprised how motivated they are then; I would start looking for a HD-FOX on eBay ready for the time it happens (with considerable Brownie points).

Depending how you have the TV mounted, the HD-FOX could be hidden around the back (even bolted to the VESA points).

I have been having a look at how to modify the ts files to view them on the Sony TV. Renaming to .m2ts made no difference. VLC plays either fine.

I know I could try finding a 2nd hand HD-FOX as per BH's suggestion, but that is really too big to hide on a wall mounted TV. I did think of using a Raspberry pi behind the TV running kodi or something similar, but kodi on the pc really struggles to play ts files very well. The track starts playing but the kodi client indicates the track is a few seconds long, and as it plays the length shown in kodi gradually increases to keep ahead of how long the track has been playing. Navigation controls don't work as the track length is screwed up. I did wonder about the humax espresso as it is small media player, but wasn't sure that would play files from a HDR-1000T. Are there any small media players that might play ts files over dlna ?

I did try converting a .ts file to mp4/mkv and both play fine on the TV via dlna. So I may consider a server that re encodes the ts files so my dlna server can share them to the TV.

Thanks

Back