[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

... erm, is that intended as a rhetorical question, explaining why you'd started with that advice?
Yes

You do appreciate that most people out here don't just have ALL packages installed, as a matter of course
Of course. But an appreciation of what they all do (and why), so "most people"* can make a considered decision what to install (and what not), would be a good idea.

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#Webshell
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/quick-start-guide.1301/post-28409

* I would normally take issue whether any individual can know what "most people" do or don't do, but in this case this is a reasonable assessment because some packages are mutually exclusive, and it would be tedious to go through the list and install everything willy nilly.

1.0.105:
Remove Merit​
Remove Pick+1​
LCN change from 11 to 34 for Pick​
LCN change from 68 to 55 for BBC FOUR in Scotland​
LCN change from 57 to 56 for Smithsonian Channel​
LCN change from 88 to 87 for Together TV​
LCN change from 89 to 88 for Together TV+1​
Add Sky Arts on LCN 11 (COM5)​

Apparently all LCNs from 24 to 55 (ish) are being increased by 1 (4 Nov) so that BBC4 can slot in below in Scotland, which for some reason has two separate regional BBC channels and is required by OfCom to allocate a low-numbered LCN to BBC4. This solution was chosen rather than moving all shopping channels to a genre block around 240 as anyone with tunefix probably does already.

Is there anyone in Northern Ireland reading this who would be able to send me a copy of their tuning database please?
(Extract the raw file /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db from the Humax via whatever method suits you, zip it up and send it on a Conversation/Private Message to me.)
Thanks.

You might have a scenario where a random viewer expects to find shopping channels. Rental guests, say, may not react well to the toothed whip that should normally be applied in that case. As I always use a Favourites setting, I never see shopping channels anyway.

Is this retune within the scope of tunefix and tunefix-update, or is an actual retune going to be needed?

I noticed that recordings of Forces TV programmes were rather blocky and glitchy, but a retune returned the recordings to an acceptable level, as an aside, the file sizes also increased to reflect the extra signal strength being recorded

Many thanks to all concerned for this amazing home entertainment environment

Thank you Black Hole, what about the Remote Scheduling website, if a rule is set up to only look for programmes being broadcast on one of the affected renumbered channels

Thank you Black Hole, what about the Remote Scheduling website, if a rule is set up to only look for programmes being broadcast on one of the affected renumbered channels
I'm not sure - but you need to understand that LCN is only for presentation. The reason EPG, recordings, etc continue to work regardless of whether a user has retuned is that the schedule etc uses a ServiceID code to identify a service (or "channel" - but see Glossary) not LCN - and the ServiceID doesn't change regardless of LCN changes.

You might want to check your RS searches are still valid after the shift, but schedules will be fine.

You might want to check your RS searches are still valid after the shift, but schedules will be fine.
Thank you Black Hole

I have actually seen a warning on the Remote Scheduling website that [ !! Channel ?? missing !! ] (?? will show channel affected)

Which can cause headaches if you have narrowed down your searches due to the same programme name coincidentally being broadcast on different channels

It seems we are now in a constant turmoil of channel retuning, here's a recap of the good old days

Our first five main channels started broadcasting, and the time between when the next channel came on air

On airOn airTime to nextchannel launch
BBC1​
2 November 1936​
ITV​
22 September 1955​
6898 Days​
18 Years / 11 Months / 19 Days​
BBC2​
20 April 1964​
3133 Days​
08 Years / 07 Months / 29 Days​
Channel 4​
2 November 1982​
6770 Days​
18 Years / 07 Months / 14 Days​
Channel 5​
30 March 1997​
5262 Days​
14 Years / 05 Months / 28 Days​

Now a retune can be months, weeks, or even days apart (how can I edit the column widths please)

1.0.106:
Rename Sony Movies Classic to Sony Movies Christmas​
Rename Sony Movies Classic +1 to Sony Movies Christmas +1​
LCN change from 97 to 57 for ITVBe+1​
LCN change from 70 to 68 for Horror Channel​
LCN change from 76 to 69 for QUEST+1​
LCN change from 72 to 70 for Quest Red+1​
LCN change from 55 to 24 for BBC FOUR in Scotland​
LCN change from 54 to 55 for 5SELECT​
LCN change from 53 to 54 for RTÉ Two​
LCN change from 52 to 53 for RTÉ One​
LCN change from 51 to 52 for TG4​
LCN change from 50 to 51 for Sony Movies Christmas​
LCN change from 49 to 50 for TJC​
LCN change from 48 to 49 for Sony Channel​
LCN change from 47 to 48 for 4seven​
LCN change from 46 to 47 for Challenge​
LCN change from 45 to 46 for Film4+1​
LCN change from 44 to 45 for Channel 5+1​
LCN change from 43 to 44 for Gems TV​
LCN change from 42 to 43 for HGTV​
LCN change from 41 to 42 for Food Network​
LCN change from 40 to 41 for Sony Movies Action​
LCN change from 39 to 40 for CBS Justice​
LCN change from 38 to 39 for Quest Red​
LCN change from 37 to 38 for DMAX​
LCN change from 36 to 37 for QVC Style​
LCN change from 35 to 36 for QVC Beauty​
LCN change from 34 to 35 for Pick​
LCN change from 33 to 34 for ITV +1​
LCN change from 33 to 34 for STV+1​
LCN change from 33 to 34 for UTV+1​
LCN change from 32 to 33 for Sony Movies​
LCN change from 31 to 32 for Paramount Network​
LCN change from 30 to 31 for 5STAR​
LCN change from 29 to 30 for 4Music​
LCN change from 28 to 29 for E4+1​
LCN change from 27 to 28 for ITV2 +1​
LCN change from 26 to 27 for ITVBe​
LCN change from 25 to 26 for Yesterday​
LCN change from 24 to 25 for ITV4​

Oh crap, they've started the pointless renaming of channels for Christmas. So either I retune my Aunt's box to get the new numbers but she gets stuck with stupid christmas channel names, or a vast chunk of channels have a different LCN from the Radio Times. She won't be pleased either way.

Just turned on one of my Humax HDR Fox T2 boxes, had a notification that tunefix-update has been updated, after a restart channels numbers seem to be as before, what time during today does the renumbering take place

do remote scheduling search criteria and reservations get renumbered automatically

Just turned on one of my Humax HDR Fox T2 boxes, had a notification that tunefix-update has been updated, after a restart channels numbers seem to be as before, what time during today does the renumbering take place
For those using tunefix-update, it should be whatever time tunefix-update is executed.
I have also have an HDR-FOX T2 with tunefix-update and most of the LCNs have been updated. I have low-power standby enabled but I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. The exceptions to tunefix-update changes are the forced LCNs I have defined in the tunefix package. I suggest you check if you have defined any forced LCNs in tunefix that have overridden tuneifx-update.

do remote scheduling search criteria and reservations get renumbered automatically
The reservations will change the next time your HDR-FOX T2 fully syncs with the RS.
The search criteria won't change automatically and you'll need to change them to match. Similarly if you have any impacted LCNs within any sweeper rules, they too will need to be updated manually.

1.0.107:
LCN change from 73 to 71 for Jewellery Maker​
LCN change from 23 to 73 for CCXTV​
LCN change from 79 to 23 for Dave ja vu​
LCN change from 74 to 72 for Shopping Quarter​
LCN change from 75 to 74 for Yesterday+1​

Last edited:
1.107:
LCN change from 73 to 71 for Jewellery Maker​
LCN change from 23 to 73 for CCXTV​
LCN change from 79 to 23 for Dave ja vu​
LCN change from 74 to 72 for Shopping Quarter​
LCN change from 75 to 74 for Yesterday+1​
It begs the question - Why do they even bother?

Back