TV loses channel signals....baffled or what

Petethebarracks

Hi
I have installed a Humax HDR Fox T2 for my mum (who is 90).
The humax is connected to her Panasonic TV with the HDMI cable supplied with the machine and a normal aerial cable.
After a dodgy start because her roof top aeirial and cable were ancient (she's had a new one fitted with the new cable going straight into the Humax).
The Humax seems to be working fine with a strong set of signals. The problem occurs when the unit is switched off. (I have switched both the power off & standby options to their "off" positions").

The TV is fine to start with then half of the channels lose their signal. The BBC channels on the main are fine but the ITV ones just get a "no signal" message.

If I switch the Humax on again they are back.
If I just take the aerial out of the Humax and connect it directly to the TV, all the channel are fine.

She lives in Stockport & is connected via the Winter Hill transmitter.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I just can't get it.
I'd be grateful for any help

Cheers

Pete

Hi

I have already turned that off. That was my first thought but I have double checked that both the standby & power off options are set to off??

I too live in the Stockport area. I will put money on the fact you've got Moel y parc on your mum's telly not winter hill. Check for stations in the 800 onwards . These will be winter hill , you will need to do a manual tune. It's almost impossible to tune in winter hill without Moel Y Parc

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my new Humax HDR Fox T2, i.e. weak ITV & C4 signal while HDR is in standby, also Winter Hill.

I tried retuning the TV whilst the HDR is in standby mode and the tv picked up ITV Wales!

Retuning the TV again with the HDR powered on finds ITV, but when the HDR is put in standby, the signal strength reduces again.

Hope someone can help.

Moel y parc is really strong in cheshire try a manual tune Ch 54, Ch 55 Ch58, Ch59 Ch 61,Ch62 It was the only way I can get Winter Hill clean

I have installed a Humax HDR Fox T2 for my mum (who is 90).
For somebody who's 90, wouldn't it be easier to explain using the Humax as the only source of TV? No fiddling with switching sources, no differences between EPGs, only one remote (once the TV is on)...

I know it doesn't address the problem of reception, but it would make the problem go away.

For somebody who's 90, wouldn't it be easier to explain using the Humax as the only source of TV? No fiddling with switching sources, no differences between EPGs, only one remote (once the TV is on)...

I know it doesn't address the problem of reception, but it would make the problem go away.

Is there an internal splitter in the Fox T2 which will reduce reception quality? It is odd this is not an isolated case.

I cant speak for the op but personally I was not expecting to compromise after upgrading my Sony HDD (which had no such issues).

If you have a strong signal you could try an external low-loss splitter. Also you don't mention that you have tried a different aerial lead between the Humax and the TV. The one you are using could be faulty.

Is there an internal splitter in the Fox T2 which will reduce reception quality? It is odd this is not an isolated case.

It can probably best be described as an "active pass-through", much the same as old-school VCRs used to have. I'm having difficulty finding a hypothesis for what is going on. Summary (for verification):

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Power Management >> Power Saving in Standby = Off

Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> 5V Antenna Power = Off

Reception via TV tuner is OK with the Humax on;
Reception via Humax tuner and HDMI to TV is OK;
Reception via TV tuner is poor with the Humax in standby;
Reception via TV tuner is similarly poor with the Humax off (switch at the back).

All I can see out of that lot is the Humax pass-through while in standby Is not functioning. I could believe that in one isolated case, but it seems much less likely with two.

You're right, Black Hole, I have told Mum to watch through the Humax and she's OK with that.
I'm no techie but it bugs me that I can't find an explanation.
In fairness, I haven't tested hers with it switched off at the back. Just in standby.
Nor have I tried a different cable. I will have a go at that but won't be able to before Friday.

I will also try a manual tune on the TV if the suggestion is that she is picking up a weak batch of signals for some channels......again not before Friday. Does that mean that routing through the Humax is draining the strength of those channels but they are ok when connecting the aerial directly to the TV.

In general TV's are not as sensitive as the Humax so don't pick up other transmitters. One of the give aways is you get S4C not Ch4. Just try channel 801 and see if there is any channel there, if there is you need a manual tune.
My wife used to get very confused ( so did I) whether we had the TV tuner on or the Humax tuner. Easy solution only put the aerial into the Humax only, tv tuner then doesn't work.
Funnily enough I was in Stepping Hill Hospital a few weeks ago and started a conversation with an old guy who lived in Cheadle who was also experiencing problems. I gave him my phone number and later that evening talked him through a manual tune, yes he had Moel Y Parc tuned in. Anyway he was happy I cured his problem !!!!

Regardless whether the TV is tuned to a different set of signals from the Humax, there shouldn't be a difference in TV reception whether the Humax is on or in standby.

My No2 HDR is installed with my non-tech user (80) on an analogue CRT replacing a digibox. She's planning on upgrading to a 32" LCD, but I intend to continue with the HDR as the primary tuner. No retraining required, especially with a Harmony running it all.

All I can see out of that lot is the Humax pass-through while in standby Is not functioning. I could believe that in one isolated case, but it seems much less likely with two.

Thanks for your help Black Hole. This has got me puzzled, tried all the suggestions above, besides manual tuning which does not seem to be a menu option on my (Loewe) telly. What I find frustrating is that I had no such issues with my old HDD. Whilst there are workarounds, I would like to preserve the option to use my tv's tuner. Have to say, first impressions I am dissapointed.

Reception via TV tuner is similarly poor with the Humax off (switch at the back).

Actually, reception is 'non existant' with the power switch at the back off.

So there is a definite difference between standby and off then?

Yes, no tv reception at all when Humax power switch is off. Only loses ITV, C4 etc when on standby. According to the Humax settings, signal strength for the mux (C59) is 73%, signal quality is 100%.

I just found that unplugging the coax from the telly, but holding it very close to (not touching) the 'RF-in' socket, the ITV signal returns! The signal degrades again when the connection is made proper. I ruled out a faulty coax socket in the telly as a factor as a strong signal is achieved when the main RF cable is connected (bypassing the Humax). My coax is a quality brand and I tried an old spare but pixilation seemed worse. I will buy another tomorrow and give that a shot, just to rule that out entirely.

Also, the 'coax-in' on the telly is labelled 5v - 80mA, is this normal and possibly significant?

Back