UPD

One wonders sometimes what a normal person would think of this discussion.

Sent from my computer using a real keyboard.

If you miss out the 'other person' and add the missing word and answer the question "What's a normal person ?" you will end up with "I am". You would not say "Me am". So a normal person would say "You and I" but someone who doesn't know better would say "You and me":p
Deja Vu

So it was “You and I are normal people” as opposed to “Examples of normal people are you and me”.
Although now I’m wondering where that leaves Gomezz.

Wrapped up in his own little world wondering about stuff.
You would not answer the question "What's a normal person?" with the statement "Examples of normal people are you and me"

Well at least that got off the topic of UPD for a while:)

If you miss out the 'other person' and add the missing word and answer the question "What's a normal person ?" you will end up with "I am". You would not say "Me am". So a normal person would say "You and I" but someone who doesn't know better would say "You and me":p
There is not necessarily a missing word i.e. one doesn't need to be added. It is as incorrect to say "me am" as it is to say "I".
If you choose to add the "am", then use "I", otherwise use "me".

That's cobblers and not only that, it's wrong.
See here
In my sentence, "You and I" is the subject of the sentence full sentence "You and I are both normal". In your sentence " you and me" is the object of the sentence " An example of......".

Another one that I dislike is the incorrect use of "myself" as in "You can write to myself at ....". Me is correct and also has the advantage of sounding less pretentious.

Surely you would say "We are both normal" not "You and I are both normal"

Grammatically correct it may be but not normal to say "You and I are both normal"

But then what do me know?

But to say "We are normal" in response to raydon's question "What is a normal person?", although grammatically correct, is not definitive enough to exclude everybody except raydon and me. But your proposed answer "We are both normal" is grammatically correct and the word 'both' does indicate two people to the exclusion of all others and limits the response to the questioner and me.

However, my answer to raydon's question was basically incorrect in so far as he asked "What is a normal Person?", thus posing the question "What characteristics define a normal person?", whereas, in true politician style, I answered the question "Which of the people here are normal?"

I am having serious second thoughts about my normality, as surely it can't be normal to carry on a conversation normality, I vs. Me and definitive definitions, can it? Especially at 11:45 at night.

It all irrelevant - the answer to "What's a normal person ?" should always be "Me" as that is the only mind to which one has access to. (Hence it must contain both the yardstick for 'normal' as well as the current condition of that mind, meaning both states are equal.)
OTOH one has no idea what's going on inside anyone else's head, except that it is almost certainly different from one's own in some way, so they almost certainly can't be normal.

The answer to the question should never be "Me". It is grammatically incorrect and you have also fallen into the same trap as I and answered the "Who" question, not the "What" question.

Just remember that ME stands for Mechanical Engineer, but YOU stands for Your Opinion Unwanted.

No idea what I stand for...:confused:

Back