Want to install custom firmware but have a question about It

IanA

I am just about to install the latest custom firmware. I have been cautious and read all of the forum postings regarding it. The only concern I have found is around when new channels have been added by FreeSat. Some people have reported “No default authority data available for this channel. Unable to set the recording” when they have tried to set a recording schedule. The fix has always been that raydon posts back saying “added default authority data” and that a package update is required from within the Web UI. This implies to me that there is a dependency on hummypkg.org.uk (89.248.55.75) for the correct data to be available as and when. So does this mean that in the future (for whatever reason) if this package repository is not maintained and channel changes occur the CF will be “broken” when it comes to recording new channels, and, with no ability to fix it? I could be misunderstanding a bit here as these reported errors could be only within the Web UI and NOT when setting recordings with the box itself, which would be only be an annoyance rather than a serious issue. Oh, and I also appreciate that nothing lasts forever and that all electronics technology ends up totally obsolete at some point. Am I worrying about a triviality here?

The box continues to work 100% normally so simply set recordings directly on the box until the package update arrives. It's very easy to remove anyway. The CF doesn't alter the Humax software so when used without access via a webif the UI is unaltered.

As Graham has stated, the custom firmware provides additional functionality via the web interface. It does not in any way, replace, or interfere with the normal operation of the box. Any 'missing' default authority data will only ever affect setting up a scheduled recording from the web interface for that particular channel. Setting up a schedule on the box itself remains unaffected.

Thanks for the quick (and reassuring) responses. As I'm finished both work and my xmas shopping today I'll have a day to myself tomorrow and will go ahead with the install.

Thanks for the info; I much appreciate the effort. All the best, Ian.

Thanks for the quick (and reassuring) responses. As I'm finished both work and my xmas shopping today I'll have a day to myself tomorrow and will go ahead with the install.

Thanks for the info; I much appreciate the effort. All the best, Ian.

Potentially the best Xmas present you have ever had (especially at the price :) ). It really does transform what this venerable pvr is capable of. We all owe Raydon and his fellow contributors like AF123 a massive vote of thanks.

Hi all........I would like to upgrade my 3 Humax boxes...to the custom Raydon update .........Is there a step by step non techie type of description of how to update ? ......

I have a iMac computer ...would this be a prob..?

Hi all........I would like to upgrade my 3 Humax boxes...to the custom Raydon update .........Is there a step by step non techie type of description of how to update ? ......

I have a iMac computer ...would this be a prob..?
You did not state which models your three Humax boxes are, but since you have posted in the Foxsat HDR thread I am assuming you have at least one of these. Installation of custom firmware is really very simple. Check out the thread HERE for details, and download the firmware via the link provided in the first post. There is a readme.txt included in the .rar archive providing detailed instructions on the installation procedure.
iMac computer is not a problem with the web interface since it can be accessed from any browser and is not platform specific. You may however, have a problem using the samba file sharing utility as the smb protocol is no longer supported in the newer versions of Mac OS.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply... :) ... I have 3 Twin tuner Foxsat Freesat HDR 320GB boxes.....

I have downloaded the Firmware to the iMac ... ...it opens with something called VLC ? ....on the memory stick ......cant see any text about installation...?..

Sorry ......I'm a bit useless with computer typestuff ........

Do I just put the memory stick in the Humax now...?

Thanks for the reply... :) ... I have 3 Twin tuner Foxsat Freesat HDR 320GB boxes.....

I have downloaded the Firmware to the iMac ... ...it opens with something called VLC ? ....on the memory stick ......cant see any text about installation...?..

Sorry ......I'm a bit useless with computer typestuff ........

Do I just put the memory stick in the Humax now...?

The software is packaged in a compressed archive (.rar). The individual files have to be extracted. I don't have a MAC but googling found this.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rar-extractor-free/id646295438?mt=12

Thanks for the help guys... :) ......

I Got the "Rar" app........then dragged and dropped the Raydon update on to the memory stick..........

But the Humax is now stuck at 0% .....in the blue screen "Download Progress" position ....for 30mins.....

Think Im doing something wrong.. :-( .....

Edit........Just a thought........Will this update work in Germany?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys... :) ......

I Got the "Rar" app........then dragged and dropped the Raydon update on to the memory stick..........

But the Humax is now stuck at 0% .....in the blue screen "Download Progress" position ....for 30mins.....

Think Im doing something wrong.. :-( .....

Edit........Just a thought........Will this update work in Germany?

Where you are shouldn't matter. What's the exact filename you have on the memory stick, including the three letters after the dot (.) ?

Loading the software should only take a few minutes.

Last edited:
I have on my 16 GB memory stick ....FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf......

Maybe the memory stick is too big...... the download instructions ....says 4 gb memory stick is best to use....
....Ill get one tomorrow......

After all these probs with the Humax today ....Its definitely Beer o'clock now... :) .....

I have on my 16 GB memory stick ....FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf......

Maybe the memory stick is too big...... the download instructions ....says 4 gb memory stick is best to use....
....Ill get one tomorrow......

After all these probs with the Humax today ....Its definitely Beer o'clock now... :) .....

I use a 8GB stick with no issue. Reformat the stick FAT32, make sure the .hdf file is the only one on the stick. Don't try and use the remote control buttons only the one's on the actual box.

The stick is formatted to "MS-DOS (FAT)" and the update file is the only thing on it........there is not option of FAT32 format on my iMac....

The stick is formatted to "MS-DOS (FAT)" and the update file is the only thing on it........there is not option of FAT32 format on my iMac....

Same thing :).

https://www.hgst.com/support/faqs/how-format-my-drive-use-windows-and-mac-fat32. The Foxsat is known to be a bit picky with the chipset used in some memory sticks. Hopefully your new one will work OK. If you want to see if the Foxsat-hdr will actually read your stick, copy a xx.jpg photo to it or xx.MP3 audio file and stick it in the Foxsat front USB slot. You should get a on screen confirmation. Choose Photo or Music as appropriate.

OK ....I did your Photo test you suggested ...and the Humax will not display the pics from the Stick......

Strangely......the stick will record programs from the Humax onto the stick.....?...

The Memory stick i am using is a Intenso Alu 16 GB.......Is there a particular brand of 4-8 GB Memory stick i should get at the shops tomorrow... ? .....

Thanks for all the help today.... Brill .... :) ..........

OK ....I did your Photo test you suggested ...and the Humax will not display the pics from the Stick......

Strangely......the stick will record programs from the Humax onto the stick.....?...

The Memory stick i am using is a Intenso Alu 16 GB.......Is there a particular brand of 4-8 GB Memory stick i should get at the shops tomorrow... ? .....

Thanks for all the help today.... Brill .... :) ..........

Can't help with make sorry. I take it when you say record you mean you can copy existing recordings to it and play them back from the memory stick ?

Yes........ the Stick will Copy and playback recordings from the Humax.........

Ill get a new memory stick tomorrow........maybe that will work..... Fingers crossed... ........

Things Every... (click) is written for the Humax terrestrial receivers/recorders, but the comments in section 12 are relevant. To try to ensure your UPD is compatible with the firmware update process, it is best to go for a small capacity one, which is more likely to be of older design and use older device drivers.

However, the fact that you have seen the firmware update process start does indicate your UPD is suitable and compatible. It is more likely that something else went wrong.

Eventually found a Hama 4GB memory stick.......Quite a rare thing it seems......plenty of 64 or 128GB sticks available.......

Anyway.......Success :) :) .....all done now and one box is updated and has connection to my iMac....

Sorry...... yet more Questions........ i would like to stream on home network ...recorded programs from the Humax to 2 Smart Panasonic TVs is this possible? ......would "Mediatomb"...be the one to add to the humax ?...

thanks everyone for all the help ...and being patent with me....

Back