[webif] Web interface

Had to retune the Humax yesterday. Mendip Transmitter - North Somerset. Backed up setting using the 0.7.2 web interface, rescanned, restored settings and restarted the hummy, everything worked fine. Great time saver, thanks af123.

I've just installed 0.7.2
Created a schedule backup, then tried to delete an old backup.

Doesn't matter what I pick, It always says 'are you sure you want to delete' then todays backup name.. not the one I selected !!
Thanks - I'll fix this in the next version. However, it will delete the correct file, it is just the confirmation dialogue that is wrong.

0.7.3 changes (over 0.7.1)
  • Improved Now/Next EPG and optional grid-style EPG (see settings screen);
  • Fix several IE interoperability bugs (mostly IE9);
  • Fix backup/restore prompts;
  • More channel icons;
  • Show web interface version at bottom of main screen;
  • Channel information screen includes Mux details
EDIT: After upgrading the EPG will be very slow (particularly the grid style one) until you reboot your Humax and then give it five minutes to generate the initial EPG database.

I have upgraded my HD-Fox T2 to Webif 0.7.3, viewing via iPad.

I have set recordings from /epg.shtml & /xepg.jim and all have been accepted.
In grid style Now/Next' the yellow time line appears over the Programme Details box. Not a problem, just an observation.

Excellent work once again. Thanks.

Still like the grid view. Good work.

But I don't particularly like the way the channel names get truncated (cut short). I would rather do without them showing at all if you couldn't view the complete name.

One more thing, The MUX info shows channel 57 (DDR7 on Winter Hill) as ??? It is only a very low power, local MUX carrying Channel M and another one channel.

Just pointing it out for 'completeness'.

Still like the grid view. Good work.

But I don't particularly like the way the channel names get truncated (cut short). I would rather do without them showing at all if you couldn't view the complete name.
Yes, I hadn't noticed that, and now notice that they are also truncated in the RS EPG grid.

It would be good if both EPG grids could be made wider to allow full names to be shown, and also allow more room to display programme names without truncating them. On my 17.3" widescreen laptop, I have an empty 6" space to the right of the EPG grid, it would be nice to be able to use this.

There's no pleasing some people ;)

I've changed tack on the implementation from the first grid layout. That one used a table with a large number of columns and merged the columns together to represent events. It was pretty good and surprisingly seemed to render more or less properly in all browsers but if was very hard to get programmes properly aligned.

This new implementation uses floating divs but it struggles if the screen is narrower than expected. So, for the moment, the EPG is formatted for around a 900px wide screen. I'll improve upon it as time permits.

Edit: Try RS now - it should be wider and still render ok on an iPad/iPhone.

oh but not the right hand side is not neatly aligned, that's gonna make some peoples OCD'dar twitch! :-D

That's better, it's gone about 2" wider on my screen, but the channel names are still truncated.:)

oh but not the right hand side is not neatly aligned, that's gonna make some peoples OCD'dar twitch! :-D

There's still a programme alignment issue in there which I haven't shaken out yet. Sometimes programmes are a couple of pixels off their right place but it's not consistent across browsers or even between channels. Feel free to look at the code ; )

(Thanks for all the feedback, I do appreciate it and my tongue's firmly in my cheek a lot of the time when I'm responding!)

That's better, it's gone about 2" wider on my screen, but the channel names are still truncated.:)

True, but at least you should be able to hover over them now to see the full name in the same way as you can hover over programme names.

Hah. Still cuts off channel names. Is that a cry for 'please give us the option to turn it off...' I hear?

TBH, I don't any difference with channel names, but I grant that the programme names are displayed better now.

I have just tried viewing the RS EPG on my 10.1" netbook and can only get 3.5 hours on screen, and have to scroll right to see the other 0.5 hour.

I have just tried viewing the RS EPG on my 10.1" netbook and can only get 3.5 hours on screen, and have to scroll right to see the other 0.5 hour.

I'd expect that, although it depends on the browser.

The problem is that to get everything laid out properly I have to resort to using units of pixels. In general that's bad web design as it doesn't cater well for different screen widths - I usually try to specify everything in percentages or related to the current font size. For this application it's the right thing to do though.

I'll have a look at whether it is practical to detect the screen size and do something more intelligent, but what's there at the moment is probably fine for most scenarios. If you have a wide browser, you will get white space at the right but if you have a narrow one then at least things don't wrap, you just need to scroll right to see the end, and on an iDevice, the whole screen scales appropriately.

In terms of channel names being truncated, I could make that column very wide so that everything fits but it does feel rather like a waste of space.

Oh, and it probably looks terrible in IE6 but I frankly don't care!

Back