[webif] Web interface

There are quite a lot of things whose need eludes me (redring for one).

That isn't what I meant. What I was trying to say is that I couldn't see how what you were proposing would solve your problem any better than what we have, and if you don't like automatic background processes anyway you might as well stick with a USB copy through the SUI!

You're very probably right. I've had a couple of hard disk failures recently and have become a bit paranoid about having everything in duplicate. At present I use Syncback to replicate all the media folders on the main 2TB usb drive of my media PC to a second identical drive. I only have to run it once a week and it does a one-way sync, or echo, from drive 1 to drive 2. It would be very convenient to have something equally simple for the Humax and a wholly manual system is not really a convenient or foolproof answer. The ideal would be to run a script at a convenient time that would check the contents of specified folders on the internal disk against the backup, delete from the backup where the file has been deleted from the internal and put an unencrypted copy of any new files from the internal to the backup. All without running an ongoing unencrypt process on all the files on the internal disk, many of which are just temporary, time-shifted programmes.
That, after all, is what backup utilities generally do. The focus of unencrypt is, obviously, to unencrypt files - it is not primarily a backup utility though unencryption would be a unavoidable part of a backup system for the Hummy.

Any chance of an option to truncate the webif_auto.log file periodically? Mine is sitting at over 200Kb after only a couple of weeks, most of which is repeated logged attempts to dedup a folder of 70 episodes of Shaun The Sheep that has already been processed!!

Can somebody please clarify.
When using "Web-If MAIN >> BROWSE MEDIA FILES >> Save Last Streamed Content"
What constitutes the content. Eg is it everything watched in the last end to end session (from when tv portal is pressed until exit is pressed) or something else?

Can somebody please clarify.
When using "Web-If MAIN >> BROWSE MEDIA FILES >> Save Last Streamed Content"
What constitutes the content. Eg is it everything watched in the last end to end session (from when tv portal is pressed until exit is pressed) or something else?
It would save the last programme watched from BBC iPlayer, or the last video watched on YouTube.

Thanks Brian.
So if I use iplayer to watch two program's, one after the other, I will need to trigger "save last stream ..." before starting the second program and again after watching it.

Just freed up 150gb by running the de-duplicate for the first time on the kids shows. wow thats really impressive. Have moved them all into a folder called 'all kids' and hoping that the series flateen works. I've also set the auto dedup at the top level folder - or should be on each series below?

I have mounted the HDR to the HD and need to ensure my recordings are decrypted (ongoing) as quickly as possible after the recording is finished.
Which would be the best method to use - unencrypt package or the WebIf enable auto-decrypt feature. I can see how the unencrypt package would work but what about the WebIf feature - how often does it run, etc.
Thanks.

Which would be the best method to use - unencrypt package or the WebIf enable auto-decrypt feature. I can see how the unencrypt package would work but what about the WebIf feature - how often does it run, etc.

If you want everything decrypted, I'd use the unencrypt package and modify the crontab file as others have done. The Webif auto-decrypt checks for work every 5 minutes but you have to enable it on a per-folder basis and it isn't recursive (i.e. it doesn't automatically process folders one level down from the one you flag).

Just freed up 150gb by running the de-duplicate for the first time on the kids shows. wow thats really impressive. Have moved them all into a folder called 'all kids' and hoping that the series flateen works. I've also set the auto dedup at the top level folder - or should be on each series below?
You'll need to set up the auto-dedup on each folder underneath in turn. None of the web interface auto features are recursive. Sorry I somehow missed your post!

Feature request: in the media details when one clicks on a file in the media browser, add a list of the files in that set.

I've been poking around the packages list on my HD-FOX (being as it has an aerial now!), and I have a few comments:
  1. The text for wireless-helper is truncated.
  2. The text for virtual-disk has been superseded by more recent developments (and while I like the longer explanation is out of keeping with the rest of the table).
  3. For installed packages, would it be possible to indicate why they are there? I realise (for example) nicesplice has been added to support the WebIF, but it was initially a surprise. It might also indicate that it can be removed if you don't want the facility.
  4. Can it be avoided that when you click install for a package (and presumably uninstall for installed packages) and then close the status pop-up the page does not refresh to the upgrades tab?

I've been poking around the packages list on my HD-FOX (being as it has an aerial now!), and I have a few comments:
  1. The text for wireless-helper is truncated.
  2. The text for virtual-disk has been superseded by more recent developments (and while I like the longer explanation is out of keeping with the rest of the table).

I'll fix those when I get a minute. The first one seems to be something to do with the package itself..

3. For installed packages, would it be possible to indicate why they are there? I realise (for example) nicesplice has been added to support the WebIF, but it was initially a surprise. It might also indicate that it can be removed if you don't want the facility.

I'm not sure whether that information is maintained by the packaging system but I'll investigate. Nicesplice is indeed a dependency of webif

4. Can it be avoided that when you click install for a package (and presumably uninstall for installed packages) and then close the status pop-up the page does not refresh to the upgrades tab?

I think you need more coffee : ) Either that or you've been doing the same US company's technical exams as me where double and treble negatives are the norm!
(Yes, that one has been on my todo list for a while and I will bump it up.)

Yeah. I've got this problem with .hmt files being reported missing, but you can't check through the WebIF browser because it only lists the primary filename and does not individually list the suite of files contributing to it.

So my idea is to either expand the list via a + button by the file listing, or identify them in the info panel.

Back