What we Know so Far . . .

I am hoping that no one is motivated to even consider writing custom firmware for the 2000T because Humax has enhanced the 2000T with most of the features that the cf added to the HDR-FOX-T2. :)
I am also hoping that all the series 9000T's nice little features that were not included on the HDR-FOX-T2 reappear on the 2000T.:D

I am hoping that no one is motivated to even consider writing custom firmware for the 2000T because Humax has enhanced the 2000T with most of the features that the cf added to the HDR-FOX-T2. :)
I am also hoping that all the series 9000T's nice little features that were not included on the HDR-FOX-T2 reappear on the 2000T.:D
Well, by the look of your avatar, you don't live on this planet. That explains your comments : )

As the 2000T appears to be a cost cutting exercise as far as hardware goes with very few additions (memory) and no change in features to speak of, I would guess they have spent the minimum on software changes as well

* 'live' view and sound cannot be turned off when in menu's.
* Season passes cannot be set for programmes already started.
* iPlayer implementation is shockingly poor.
* season passes give inadequate detail of what and when they are recording.
* No multi-user mode or parental controls
I have just picked out a few,
* 'live' view and sound cannot be turned off when in menu's.
That is Not the case, Set Transparency to Off, and Mute the sound.
* Season passes cannot be set for programmes already started.
The Humax does Not support "Season passes", you need a TiVo for that.
* season passes give inadequate detail of what and when they are recording.
The Humax supports Series Links, which may offer a similar function.
What detail do you expect, or want to see?
* iPlayer implementation is shockingly poor.
What is poor about it?
* No multi-user mode or parental controls
There are limited parental controls.

To my mind the current lack of ability to delete only individual series-linked scheduled recordings (for instance to accommodate one-off recording conflicts) is particularly frustrating. I agree that the UI/UX is inconsistent and poor (compared to say JAG's EPG on the Toppy) but this is partly solved by avoiding the T2 remote as much as is possible and using RS, etc., instead.

I can't post a link yet but a search for Crave CNET Humax new Freeview + HD will bring up an item that includes the explanation/claim that :

"Humax told me that the box will feature a revamped interface, that hopefully will make it easy to navigate to the shows and channels you're hunting for. There's a new design, meanwhile, which you can see in the snap above.
Humax says the box will support new software coming from Freeview. The box will handle new Freeview HD channels, which are expected to go live in 2014, and the new paid-for streaming service VuTV that will launch later this year, and feature channels like Comedy Central, MTV, History, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon."

No idea what additional support would be needed to "handle" the new Freeview channels.

Compared to the HDR-FOX-T2's remote the 2000T's remote does not appear to have the following buttons:
  • White DVD
  • White Audio
  • TV/Radio
  • Create bookmark
  • Select bookmark
  • Slow play
  • Source
  • Sleep
  • V-Format
  • Wide
Also
  • Audio has been replaced by AD
  • Play and Pause have been merged in to one
  • The jump forward/back buttons have been relabelled
It also looks as though the OK and the OK's near by buttons have been moved a fair distance away from the remote's centre of gravity.

It was difficult to make out by the available photos, especially the Exit and Media buttons.
Initially I thought that it does not make sense having separate buttons for just PVR and TV. Then it struck me that having separate buttons would enable the user to know which mode the remote is currently switched to. Before af123 asks, of course I am hoping that the PVR and TV each glows with its own colour to make it even more obvious which mode the remote is currently switched to, (the two colours taking account of common colour blind combinations and avoiding them).

catnap : The box will handle new Freeview HD channels
I realise that Humax need to list as many advantages as possible in order to sell the new box but, I would be very surprised if the existing HDR-Fox T2 wasn't also able to handle the new HD channels

I realise that Humax need to list as many advantages as possible in order to sell the new box but, I would be very surprised if the existing HDR-Fox T2 wasn't also able to handle the new HD channels
Yes. Surprising they didn't mention colour - or "new" colour. If it was already necessary to have different equipment to receive the new channels when they come along, presumably this wouldn't just apply to Humax and there would be quite a roar from all those who invested in new equipment to receive the initial Freeview HD chanels.

Looking at the article I get the impression that the author has mangled things slightly. The reference to HD may have been added in an inapproriate place in the short write-up.

The author also appears to come from a non playback, freeview+ and freeview+ HD background
" ... handles high-definition Freeview from over 50 channels"
and
"Perhaps best of all, the box lets you record shows to its 500GB hard drive".

I'm thinking that this new box might use the same firmware as the T2.. This would explain the continued development and the secrecy around the firmware.. Stranger things have happened.

You might be right, I may have to eat my words, but there's nothing like a bit of controversy.

Incidentally, there is no need to see the end of the programme when you don't want to in chase play, because there is no need to have the Humax feeding that channel to the TV (unless he means timeshift rather than chase play). I use 302 as a silent/no picture placeholder. It seems to me page3 treats TV watching with far more gravitas than it deserves.

For those who don't routinely read myhumax.org, Barry has confirmed that the 2000T can handle the IPTV channels. Not surprising at it would have had to comply with the latest Freeview requirements to get its tick but nice to see it confirmed.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/tentative-details-for-the-hd-2000t/page/4#post-21319

So, the differences from a HDR-Fox T2 so far. The 2000T has:
  • No front panel display (VFD); :(
  • Dual-colour LED (blue on, red recording, red standby) - versus tri-colour on the T2. Not sure yet about whether it is a dim red in standby but that would be a fairly safe assumption; :(
  • More memory; :)
  • More flash space; :)
  • IPTV channel support; :)
  • External PSU. :(
Smileys represent my opinion alone!

Thanks for the summary af123.

More memory is always a good thing I suppose, and for me, that is the only positive I can see in this model. For now.

Thanks af123. That all sounds quite good to me! If it turns out it can run the modified software I'll probably get one... The front panel is no loss to me as my HDR-T2 is totally out of sight anyway and the external PSU I see as a plus not a minus (less heat and easier to change if it goes pop).

Hi.

Contemplating whether to purchase a HDR-FOX T2 from Argos using item code 114/4697 (HDR-2000T) for £179.99 over the next couple of days so I receive a free £10 gift card or a grade A unit from Humax Direct for £139.00 (500GB). Would probably be looking at upgrading the HDD to a WD 2TB Green plus updating to CF if possible. But now I've just read through the whole of this thread, not sure whether to go for the newer HDR-2000T for £179.99 instead? I'd prefer a front panel display but could live without one providing it can take CF like the HDR-FOX T2 and has the same/similar features plus some new ones too.

Interested in any opinions on what you guys would suggest/recommend?

Currently own and have been using a Humax PVR-9300T for past few years but really want to upgrade to Freeview HD since upgrading my TV a couple of months ago.

Thanks.

Cheekster.

There is no certainty at present whether the HDR-2000T will be amenable to modification. There is also no certainty that the Argos item will turn out to be an HDR-FOX now the 2000T is available.

The 2000T has a number of plus points on paper, but if you want to be sure of the facilities custom firmware affords - buy an HDR-FOX.

Back