Words we cannot abide.

Same with the US-published versions of books by British authors. A local charity shop used to have quite a few of these donated and when reading it jars to see a US spelling in a clearly British setting.
It used to p me off when various channels showed "The Avengers in Color". That's The Avengers with Patrick McNee and Diana Rigg - both British born actors. Made by ABC television - Associated British Corporation.
Q: Why the American spelling?
A: The UK probably only had the monochrome version and had to buy back an international copy from the US. (My speculation).

Q: Why the American spelling?
It's quite simple in 1967 there were a lot more viewers watching in 'Color' than there were watching in 'Colour', it was basically financed by the Americans, that doesn't make it any less annoying though

But American 'Color' was NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour) :sick_:. Thank heavens we never needed a 'hue' knob on our TVs.

Last edited:
Thank heavens we never needed a 'hue' knob on our TVs.
We did.

Early Sony Trinitron PAL sets used a modified NTSC decoder which didn't average out the chroma phase on alternate lines in order to get around Telefunken's patent and so needed a 'Tint' control.

Getting a bit fed up with hearing the word "bubble" now - except when referring to an Aero.
Which irritates your more? "On the bubble" as in F1 quali when someone is at risk of not getting through to the next session or "Which celeb would you want to be part of your covid iso-bubble"? :D

iso-bubble? Is that a bubble conforming to international standards, or perhaps one with equal length sides?

trump

In the interests of avoiding public unrest, all whist/bridge style card games should adopt an alternative: French 'atout' would work for me. The lyrics of 'Ellie the elephant' will also have to be looked at and orchestras will need to re-evaluate the composition of their brass sections. There may be other implications I haven't thought of.

It should be noted that the French (as usual) are ahead of us in this. See this illustration - drawn from the life - of a recent manifestation in Paris:

1593858561310.png

Yes. Agreed strongly. We don't effin care, except that it is boring and takes up too much space.
Another thing with that stupid app is there is no 'Reply' button, just a 'Quote' one, and it is several taps to find the 'Reply' option. So when you get two peeps using it, you invariably get quotes of quotes of quotes...:disagree:

Annoying still:
'sent from my ipad, samsung, etc. using bloody Tapatalk'
Post Chaff: Predefined Signatures, Salutations (etc)

Unfortunately, some forum access software such as Tapatalk defaults to attaching its own signature text to the text of every post, in addition to any forum sig you may might have set up. Unless the user changes it, it says something like "sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk". We don't want to know and don't care! Unlike forum signature panels, the reader has no option to turn it off other than to turn off all content you post, so please turn it off at your end (check the app settings).

Last edited:
Further to the "Avengers in Color" comments. I had to laugh at the first episode of "Sir Francis Drake" c1962 shown about three weeks ago. Another British production in English, with French titles. :rolling:

Back