Words we cannot abide.

As I understand it, taking the knee is to still show deference to the American flag while protesting the treatment of blacks. Which is what I find confusing about footballers over here doing it in silence.

And just to be really controversial, "Taking the/a knee" when 'kneel' would do nicely.
Taking a knee is more specific, kneel could mean both and it also removes the chance of many less than bright sports people asking "Who is Neil"

Family ... when used by executives to make it sound like they care.

Today's example: Pret chief executive Pano Christou said: "It's a sad day for the whole Pret family, ... "

Not forgetting this "partners" and "colleagues" flannel that is now being used. John Lewis and partners, Waitrose and partners, "A colleague to the service desk. Customer service required" (Morrisons). :sick:

John Lewis and partners, Waitrose and partners
That's not flannel - that was John Lewis' original business plan: every employee has a share in the business and a share of the dividends (when there are any), with the aim that they have a personal incentive to take pride in what they do, however lowly their job might appear. Thus every employee is indeed a partner.

Waitrose came under the same umbrella when they merged.

Today's example: Pret chief executive Pano Christou said: "It's a sad day for the whole Pret family, ... "

My daughter was until recently a member of a theatre organisation where the use of the term 'family' was rife in certain circles. The number of posts on the organisation's forum from the ambitious 'theatre mummies' gushing obsequiously over how they were so privileged to be part of the '<organisation name> family' was truly creepy, all in the hope that little Octavia would get the lead part in the next show.

And of course don't forget the vomit-inducing 'reach out', which is far more touchy-feely and empathetic that simply good old fashioned 'contact'.

Last edited:
Taking a knee is more specific, kneel could mean both and it also removes the chance of many less than bright sports people asking "Who is Neil"
If you 'Take a/the knee' Where the hell are you going to take it? And from whom are you going to take it?

Another along the lines of 'Reach out' is 'Share with'.

Ding Dong."Colleague announcement." WTF is wrong with "Staff". They don't give a posh poncy name to customers.

If you 'Take a/the knee' Where the hell are you going to take it? And from whom are you going to take it?

Another along the lines of 'Reach out' is 'Share with'.

Ding Dong."Colleague announcement." WTF is wrong with "Staff". They don't give a posh poncy name to customers.
Take a seat Trev, our outreach officer will be with you soon to answer your questions.

Last edited:
Done that, #12

I thought it ought to have been, and doing a search on ‘reach out’ in advance of posting revealed nothing, but I now see it was done as ‘reaching out’ 😀

Reaching Out = Retching Up

‘Stakeholder’ is one that grates with me.....

.... and ‘Customer Experience Ambassadors’ 🤬🤬🤬

Last edited:
That's not flannel -
It was the John Lewis Partnership. That made sense -a partnership of people (the workers) within the JL family ( :rolleyes: ) of companies (including Waitrose). xxx and Partners sounds to me that they've partnered with external bodies. I want to know who these external people are. Why change the name? What are they trying to hide?

Last edited:
I had a manager once who’s favourite saying was “going forward”. Really got on my breasts.

Back