You View at Last??

It is rumoured that telephone companies might even ditch POTS in favour of IP telephony to the house, and thus combine it with the data connection to the house.

I can't see POTS disappearing any time soon, they would have to replace every telephone in the country, or supply something to digitise and combine the Voice channel with broadband inside the house. Not worth the extra 4K bandwidth they would gain

It's not a question of bandwidth; apart from the local loop (home to exchange) phone traffic is handled digitally anyway. The reasoning goes that by effectively moving the digital/analogue conversion stage into the phone itself you can get rid of huge racks of equipment (and their maintenance) from the local exchanges - but most "important" of all make it a remote operation to change the service provider for any particular subscriber.

It wouldn't happen all at once of course, there would be a gradual creep as equipment is replaced. We mostly provide our own phone equipment these days, so all it would take is a "digital only" discount rate and people would sign up in droves.

So you are saying it makes sence to replace racks of DSLAMs in local telephone exchanges with an individual DSLAM inside every one of the 50 million telephones in peoples houses? Who's going to pay for them?

So anyone with a broadband speed of under 3Mbps is wasting their time buying this new set top box if we already own the HDR-Fox T2??
I have tried the 'availability checker' on the You View and get
Sorry, your broadband speed is not fast enough.

I have a very modest 2Mbps speed at best and as I live in a rural village cannot see it increasing significantly any time soon.:(

They will be saying 3mb so that you don't get a constant "buffering" message which would harm their public perception.
To be honest, if you can get iplayer working ok, you should be alright.

I can use BBC's iPlayer through the HDR-Fox T2, and it works fine with only a small amount of buffering (and it takes a while to get going) I would assume that itv player & 4OD etc. would be similar in viewing standard?

Personally I am disappointed in Humax as surely they could have implemented the software upgrade into the HDR-Fox T2, instead they have released a new box and initially with a high price tag. I hope that this is not the end of significant upgrades for the HDR-Fox T2 as they move toward the DTR-T1000 box.

It's not humax that blocked the catch up players, it's the broadcasters themselves.
The T2 does not meet the minimum specs mandated by youview.
I have a feeling that they are using flash for the youview box catchup players and apps going by a recent vacancy at youview.
We dont currently have a flash plugin for our portal and I don't think it would be fast enough anyway :-(

I stand corrected and I shall apologize to Humax and lay the blame with the broadcasters themselves:oops:

Maybe You View will evolve in the same way Freeview has, and maybe in time other You View set top boxes will be released be Humax? a long way off I know, but you never know.......

Well, youview have about £80M to recoup and are already two years behind schedule, so expect aggressive advertising and other manufacturers jumping on board if it shows signs it's taking off. Plus they have already said they will integrate it in a TV set soon too.

Personally, I think it's going to be a slow burner. They have come too late to the catch up party. And everyone who would be interested have already upgraded to a PVR like the T2. So splashing out another £300 just for the other catch up players is a bit of a tall ask.

They have multiple ways they can sell it though as BT and Talk Talk will be offering the box at a discount for connecting up to their broadband.

They have multiple ways they can sell it though as BT and Talk Talk will be offering the box at a discount for connecting up to their broadband.
They will be offering a box bot not necessarily by Humax. One report I saw talked about Pace and Huawei,

I think we need to wait until the techno journos have had a chance to play with it for themselves before we get a fuller, balanced view of it.

They will be saying 3mb so that you don't get a constant "buffering" message which would harm their public perception.
To be honest, if you can get iplayer working ok, you should be alright.

HHmm, my download speed hovers around 5.5 Mbps, I can get iPlayer with no probs whatsoever....and the checker says
Sorry, your broadband speed is not fast enough. Seems about as useful as all siralans products since the 1512 :byebye:

Just got off the phone with Humax. The DTR T1000 is not DLNA compliant, no FTP, and no wireless capability. Not only does it not have wireless built in, you can't even use a dongle - whose idiotic idea was that?? I know they can add all this with updates, but it seems daft to not have it when the HDR FOX T2 does...

Wireless is definitely supposed to be supported (via a dongle). That's a core requirement of the YouView certification and many reviews have mentioned it.

I can believe the other things - YouView boxes run different sets of code provided by different people - vendor, youview and ISP.
Humax will provide the underlying operating system but the interface itself is a separate piece of software that they don't control - it even updates separately from a different place. I believe it's interpreted too but I don't know what language it's written in.

I hope they continue to sell the HDR-FOX T2, apart from the lack of catch-up and on-demand, it's a far superior box in my opinion.

Back