You View at Last??

...the interface itself is a separate piece of software that they don't control ... I believe it's interpreted too but I don't know what language it's written in.

Just guessing - it may be a special purpose tokenised language for a virtual machine implemented according to specification, within the Humax code. This would make it easy to run the user interface on anybody's implementation of the VM. The DVD specification does something similar for the menu navigation - the code on the DVD runs in a VM implemented by the manufacturer of the DVD player.

I hope they continue to sell the HDR-FOX T2, apart from the lack of catch-up and on-demand, it's a far superior box in my opinion.

I think they will continue with the HDR, It's almost as if Humax are building the DTR-T1000 for someone else, they have no control of this thing that seems to have been designed by a committee somewhere. At least in the past the stupid decisions made on HDR were made by Humax and not some bunch of minions working for Mr Amstrad

Wireless is definitely supposed to be supported (via a dongle). That's a core requirement of the YouView certification and many reviews have mentioned it.

I can believe the other things - YouView boxes run different sets of code provided by different people - vendor, youview and ISP.
Humax will provide the underlying operating system but the interface itself is a separate piece of software that they don't control - it even updates separately from a different place. I believe it's interpreted too but I don't know what language it's written in.

I hope they continue to sell the HDR-FOX T2, apart from the lack of catch-up and on-demand, it's a far superior box in my opinion.

Yeah, I thought that too about the wireless. However, I really laboured on the question to make sure he understood what I was asking (you know how tech support can be). The first bloke said you can't plug a dongle into it, not even the humax one, and get WiFi. Thinking this was daft, I spoke to his manager, who said the same thing, but added a "yet". I can only report what i was told...

Just guessing - it may be a special purpose tokenised language for a virtual machine implemented according to specification, within the Humax code. This would make it easy to run the user interface on anybody's implementation of the VM. The DVD specification does something similar for the menu navigation - the code on the DVD runs in a VM implemented by the manufacturer of the DVD player.
Yes, that sounds most likely.

If you're interested, the You View core technical specification is worth a read:

https://industry.youview.com/resources/YouView_Core_Technical_Specification_1.0.pdf

It has this to say about the GUI software (my emphasis)

2.3. Platform Software

The Platform Software is common to all devices and contains no native compiled executable code.
The Platform Software consists of:
  • default platform configuration (i.e. the Platform Provisioning File)
  • the Platform Main UI application (including all images and data needed for off-line use)
  • static data files and scripts

Figure 1 : Consumer Device Operating Environment on page 15 is a good overview of the vision.

They've already said wifi support is in the works.. it has to be enabled by YouView though rather than Humax..

I wouldn't be surprised if the firmware on the Humax Youview box could be run on the HDR but just runs slower. It doesn't look that much faster on the vids i have seen today.

I reckon you CF programmers will be upgrading us to Youview lite before you know it!

... and there is a lot more security around the firmware update process involving private encryption keys, and the box JTAG is password encrypted or disabled (Youview requirements)

Have to agree with that. If the HDR could add more online catch up services as per The Space etc then the remaining USP goes away.

Must admit talktalk offered me a youview 'upgrade' not sure what I'd get already having a hdr-foxt2 I don't see any extra channels unless I pay for Sky, and to be honest if I wanted Sky I wouldn't have purchased a hdr-foxt2

7 day catchup, blah - thats about it and I have that covered with the humax & ipad

Must admit talktalk offered me a youview 'upgrade' not sure what I'd get already having a hdr-foxt2 I don't see any extra channels unless I pay for Sky, and to be honest if I wanted Sky I wouldn't have purchased a hdr-foxt2

7 day catchup, blah - thats about it and I have that covered with the humax & ipad

Youview is ease of use. Same box means no fiddling with other devices or remotes. All PSB catchup together

The box will have remote record and a second screen app.

There will be more channels thru iptv updates in the next fee weeks.

Either via bt or talktalk - subscription or free where the tv channel pays youview for access. This will all be integrated into the epg, so will allow recording and in HD.

Youview has been granted all channels in the 400 range.

More updates confirmed in tonight's update and in the next few weeks than Humax's broken promises with T2 or freesat

Still not convinced?

Ill wait and see how it unfolds, I understand what you're saying re ease of use - not everyone will put custom firmware on their fox hd/t 2 so won't get remote record.

For me the USP would have to be more quality free channels than freeview, as you're already paying talk talk for the 'plus tv' I'd draw the line at paying for additional content.

We cannot get and will likely never get Virgin Cable where I live so if I were to go subscription TV it would be sky, whenever I've looked into the costs paying for sky channels on non sky platforms is more expensive (which I understand).

If you live in an area where you cannot get sky (yep there are some blackspots) but can get broadband + freeview then youview / bt's packages make sense.

Did you mention bt offering you view as well ? Didn't realise that.

I hope youvivew does well, its not for me at present but like you mention for others less willing to dabble it does offer some nice features, simply.

Maybe one day there will be a box that does everything, I have a friend with a sling box who now wants a fox hdr/t2 because of the custom features and I'd quite like the features of the sling box for the streaming!

Regards

Damian

Ill wait and see how it unfolds, I understand what you're saying re ease of use - not everyone will put custom firmware on their fox hd/t 2 so won't get remote record.

For me the USP would have to be more quality free channels than freeview, as you're already paying talk talk for the 'plus tv' I'd draw the line at paying for additional content.

We cannot get and will likely never get Virgin Cable where I live so if I were to go subscription TV it would be sky, whenever I've looked into the costs paying for sky channels on non sky platforms is more expensive (which I understand).

If you live in an area where you cannot get sky (yep there are some blackspots) but can get broadband + freeview then youview / bt's packages make sense.

Did you mention bt offering you view as well ? Didn't realise that.

I hope youvivew does well, its not for me at present but like you mention for others less willing to dabble it does offer some nice features, simply.

Maybe one day there will be a box that does everything, I have a friend with a sling box who now wants a fox hdr/t2 because of the custom features and I'd quite like the features of the sling box for the streaming!

Regards

Damian
Yes bt have launched youview, free box for a £49 activation fee and unlike talktalk youview, you can keep the cost.

Bt offer btvision over their broadband network to youview customers.

All the updates are coming and they are very engaging on their support forums. Potential for a very good box

Back