a place for general chat

I think the majority of us are alert enough to spot the username change - helped by the fact that the name change has rippled back over his previous postings. I didn't know you could change your name. Has this always been the case or is it something new?

I still don't remember seeing it on the "Account Details" page before today. But then I never really looked properly.

So what is so sinister about updating a profile? Now, anyone who named me as Mike001 in any posts will find that fora aren't that smart.

The gravitar is good, though nothing like me.

Did anyone say it was sinister? But it does make a nonsense of people referring to you under the previous name. Wonder whether the forum software has picked up "at" references and changed them.

Now that this thread has been reactivated -
I keep seeing news reports such as "Free flu vaccine to be offered to over 50s beginning December 1".
That's strange. I got a free flu jab two weeks ago. GPs surgery rang up asking if my mother (91) would like the flu jab. I managed to blag a home visit for her as there is no way she would cope with the current restrictions. I happened to be there when, unannounced, a nurse (I think) from the surgery turned up with the vaccine. "Do you want one?", he asked. So I got mine there and then. Anyone else in the 50-64 age group been jabbed for free?

I'm at the upper end of that - but I get a jab because of medical history. The GP's text system keeps inviting me to book in, but I've already had it!

Our GP systems are so hopeless that I get my (free as I'm old) flu jab at the chemist. My wife has converted to them as well.
This year I had a text from the GP inviting me to phone and book a jab. So I rang the surgery and got the obligatory string of boilerplate messages about 'don't be rude' and various other stuff ... This went on for about 2 minutes and at the very end they said "If your problem is an emergency, hang up and dial 999".
I nearly fell over laughing. Talk about getting your priorities wrong.
Then I waited on hold for a couple of minutes before giving up and reverting to plan A - the chemist. They seem to be able to provide a service that doesn't require you to use up an appreciable proportion of your remaining lifespan waiting for them to react.

Chemist? That's a laugh. I was actually late getting my jab, because when I was down collecting a prescription the chemist persuaded me to book with them. Then a few weeks later I got a phone call to say they had run out and wouldn't be able to do me! That put me at the end of the queue at the GP (where I usually go), and then I missed the appointment because I was in the middle of all this stuff with J and forgot about it. Finally had one last week.

We'll see how efficient they are with the Covid jab.

My wife (61) took her mother to her GP flu clinic and they decided that as a carer and registered at the same practice, she should be jabbed as well.
I'm 65 and still waiting for an appointment.

My wife (61) took her mother to her GP flu clinic and they decided that as a carer and registered at the same practice, she should be jabbed as well.
I don't think I'm listed as my mother's carer*, but I am registered at the same practice - the nurse did ask and might have given the jab anyway. Obviously he recognised I was in a caring role. He didn't even ask my age (61).

* I've had to turn up at her most recent appointments at the GPs (back at the beginning of the year and earlier). She's so forgetful that any information passed from the doctor to her would have been forgotten by the time she got to the door. Knowing that, I'm surprised the GP hasn't referred her to the "memory clinic" as the heart ward in the hospital suggested when she was discharged 2.5 years ago. I do bring the subject up when the opportunity arises. It's possible that the GP has it on file that I'm her carer but there's nothing official. There was a medication review by phone the other week. Fortunately I managed to get the receptionist who was making the appointment to refer the call from the doctor to me. But that required my mother to consent to that with the receptionist. So the status is difficult to work out.

I still think you ought to sort out Power(s) of Attorney, if you haven't already. I'm looking into it again, having sorted out an EPA some years ago, but they seem more hassle than LPAs now, and cost the same.

SWMBO and I have both got both health and property PoAs, with us and a couple of younger generation appointed. And we both have wills in place, again with younger relatives appointed.
All done years ago.
It's like insurance - it doesn't work trying to sort it out after the bad stuff has happened ... and unless you are an immortal it is going to happen.

Think the PoA ship has sailed. Rather unethical to try and "force" a PoA onto someone who doesn't understand it. Furthermore, if a signature is required I'd have to commit forgery as the last attempt at signing a cheque was to print gibberish.

Back