a place for general chat

I'm 65 and still waiting for an appointment.
As am I on both counts. The surgery website has "These clinics will by invitation only" (sic) on the Flu Clinics 2020/21 page and I'm still waiting for my invitation. Thinking about it I didn't get one last year either although eligible.

Perhaps they need reminding to send you an invitation. If you read "invitation only" as meaning "no walk-ins", that doesn't stop you requesting one. I wouldn't leave it to them to decide, you might fall through a crack in the system (if they have one!).

There's very little 'flu around this season anyway - due to the Covid restrictions breaking the transmission path.

Exactly. And I've only had 'flu twice in my life - the first was during the summer of all times.
Me too, I'm 72, rarely suffer a cold and have never considered the 'flu jab I'm offered each year . I spend a lot of time outdoors and have wintered abroad for the past 15 years. This winter may be a whole new ball game for me though. I still get out walking as often as possible and only visit a supermarket once a week, doing my best to avoid other people.
I have to say that the local people seem to be taking the pandemic well and generally sticking to the guidelines, but we have a small population compared to the cities.

Perhaps they need reminding to send you an invitation. If you read "invitation only" as meaning "no walk-ins", that doesn't stop you requesting one. I wouldn't leave it to them to decide, you might fall through a crack in the system (if they have one!).
In my case, they were doing the invites in batches in alphabetical order which means I was at the wrong end of the queue so rang up uninvited to get myself booked in. earlier.

In the post this morning arrived a letter from the NHS (not the surgery) reminding me to book an appointment, along with a page urging me to go paperless to save them the cost of sending letters like this. The only means given to do this is to scan the QR code "using the Camera app on your smartphone"...

Everyone wants me to go paperless - but I don't want to. I have the problem that my printer bust a while ago and I can't justify the cost (however cheap) just for the odd page. Then, should I require a bank statement or utility bill for identification purposes I need a bank or utility printed copy not my own. So what's the point? I don't have a smartphone just a mobile (the sort favoured by drug dealers - allegedly). The camera is poor so the QR code wouldn't be recorded properly. My small digital camera is good enough for QR codes - although my unsteady hand could ruin it - then I'd have to transfer the image to the PC, open a QR code reader, transfer the URL to a browser (or other information into google to find out what the hell it is). So, send me a damned letter!

I have to say that the local people seem to be taking the pandemic well and generally sticking to the guidelines, but we have a small population compared to the cities.
There may not be much 'flu around this year - and I'm not certain I've ever had the 'flu. I'm always suffering from colds and/or allergies to something or other. I'm not conviced that people local to me are sticking to the guidelines. In the supermarket the staff are now supposed to be wearing face coverings but many are not. Even more are not wearing them properly. There's more staff getting in the way on picking duty for those of you who shop online. Every time I've been to the shop I come back with either a sore throat or a sniffle (within a day).
Don't think the gang of eight youths hanging about last night all within one metre of each other were sticking to the guidelines either.

The recent persistent rain here in Cumbria keeps a lot of people from congregating! Local supermarkets were empty yesterday. Town is like a morgue.
The last time I (we) had 'flu was the millennium bug (Xmas 2000), but that also laid up two-thirds of the village we lived in at the time.

In the post this morning arrived a letter from the NHS (not the surgery) reminding me to book an appointment, along with a page urging me to go paperless to save them the cost of sending letters like this. The only means given to do this is to scan the QR code "using the Camera app on your smartphone"...
Having said that I hadn't got an invite... I got the same today; a letter from the NHS (not the surgery) and the paperless option.
Not so fussed about the flu vaccine, but I will get it just to make sure I get on the list for when the COVID vaccinations start.

Irrespective of transmission rate, you do not want to get 'flu and covid-19 together. Killer combination for us oldies.

As for flu vaccine and invitations, we got our invite by email/text. Is it to do with not registering an email, or of having to re-register due to privacy rules? Reminders have gone to pot at our GP's, I missed an important appointment this morning because I received no text to remind me and I got distracted by something else.

I missed an important appointment this morning because I received no text to remind me
I'm afraid I find this rather pathetic. Why do you expect anyone else to remind you about something? They told you once - is that not enough? Or are you just too lazy to be able to manage your own life?

Irrespective of transmission rate, you do not want to get 'flu and covid-19 together. Killer combination for us oldies.
Are you quoting a FACT here, or is that just a load off bollox from a bunch of stupid anti vaxxres?
If the former, please give a reference to your reliable source.
Sounds like the latter to me.
If it's not an undisputed fact, then please stop spreading the anti vaxxer's propaganda. ill informed lies.

Are you quoting a FACT here, or is that just a load off bollox from a bunch of stupid anti vaxxres?
If the former, please give a reference to your reliable source.
Sounds like the latter to me.
If it's not an undisputed fact, then please stop spreading the anti vaxxer's propaganda. ill informed lies.
Infections, not vaccinations.

The country has gone mad. Does it not understand that the virus does not take time off just because it is Christmas? :eek:

Back