Amusing Items

Hoover recommends 100 airwatts for upright vacuum cleaners and 220 airwatts for cylinder vacuum cleaners.
So 185 airwatts ain't so good then.

OK, let's test the "79,000g". Strangely enough, I worked on industrial cyclones as a student holiday job, for recovering dried yeast from the airflow used to transport it across the factory. Pity I didn't have the idea of putting one in a bagless hoover!

a = v²/r, and the cyclones in a Dyson are pretty small, so I'll guesstimate r = 0.01m. g ~ 10m/s²

v² ~ 8,000, v ~ 90m/s. I'm not clear, but at least it sounds feasible.

Last edited:
Anybody else listening to the old ISIHAC episodes on R4? I had to laugh at the Welsh version of Mornington Crescent and the arguing satnavs. Especially enjoyed the standard satnav trying to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
I forgot to mention: I had tickets for what should have been a recording for this series.

I called my sat-nav voice Mona after her increasing annoyance toward me at refusing to do a U-turn while following what I know to be the better route. :)

I called my sat-nav voice Mona after her increasing annoyance toward me at refusing to do a U-turn while following what I know to be the better route. :)
ISIHAC satnav said:
Please execute a U-turn immediately. This is a one-way street.
I've never used a satnav, but the route planners I've used seem to like to send you the "wrong" way (through the city centre, or around the busy ring-road). Then, just to disprove my theory, I tested a route on the AA website and the damn thing used my preferred route! (slightly longer, but usually less traffic). Make one slight adjustment - destination a few miles further away - and I'd be sent all the way to the A1 and back. :rolleyes:

I got it from somewhere, ages ago, and came across it again so I posted it here... but I have never seen that particular site before.

What about all those aggressive full stops??? There's even one after the kiss! And there's a "what, wait". How many AvP themes can you get in one paragraph?

"... take the time out of their day to stop what they were doing, pause the TV and read this."

That makes no sense. Clearly they were using their time to watch TV, so they are neither taking time out or stopping what they were doing.

Back