Amusing Items

:rolling:
You should know better than that!
;)

I agree one can't presume people read the forum, but the assumption that they have should be standard practice - it's their own fault if they haven't! A bit of AvP there, indeed the exact theme which provided its title.

Why would I want to read the fsck manual?

From the "infovax" bulletin board - now comp.os.vms:
Bob Shew said:
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 16:02 EST

How many of you out there really know what RTFM really means? I am
not 100% positive, but I heard from a Unix guru once that RTFM first
came from the mouths of Unix system managers. He said that it means:

Read the fsck manual!

You see, fsck is a utility on Unix that when used improperly can sometimes
have unpredictable and unwanted results.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Bob Shew

System Manager, Research VAXcluster
:roflmao:

That's a polite way of saying Read The F*****g Manual I think.
I know that. But with the Humax being Linux (Unix) based I thought I'd relay that old post as a piece of (failed, obviously) humour. Even back then the majority of people knew what the F stood for - although someone offered "fine" as the word. I'd been sorting through old saved postings and I remembered the "read the fsck manual" and thought the original poster must have lived a sheltered life! He was soon educated, and so was I - someone pointed to a US Navy term snafu-dillygaf [sic]: Situation normal all "fouled" up - does it look like I give a "flying-fig". (Shirley that should be dilligaf?)
Then there was the person who thought FUBAR was: The VAX- 11/780 UNIBUS Subsystem - Failed UniBus Address Register (FUBAR). :disagree:

Tried to access web interface today and I get a message with Firefox 82.0 saying "Your browser is too new. Some features will not work properly. Please download 51.0 or earlier".
Well, I found it funny. I'm always getting the "Your browser is out of date" message.

Those old films on TalkingPictures contain that warning, but not Dad's Army.

There was a Rolf Harris reference in the The Vicar of Dibley episode I watched on iPlayer yesterday. :eek:

Those old films on TalkingPictures contain that warning, but not Dad's Army.
Nearly everything on Talking Pictures contains a warning. Sometimes there are two or more warnings - and they still dip the sound on certain words. An episode of Hazell was incorrectly muted. Hazell refers to the "golden knickers brigade", but some half-wit thought the knickers was the well-known N word. (It really was knickers - I found the episode on YouTube). That's what happens when OFCOM bullies a small family based company operating from a shed in the back garden!
Contains historical adult humour and derogatory language some viewers may f
Is it just me, but most of the programmes containing such warnings are not offensive to me at all? Not even sure that I would call it adult humour. Infantile, maybe!

Is it just me, but most of the programmes containing such warnings are not offensive to me at all? Not even sure that I would call it adult humour. Infantile, maybe!
It's the modern conundrum. Young people don't seem bothered about spreading a disease that can kill their grandparents, but (we are told) they get all upset about some words from a previous time.

It's all about priorities and these days being politically correct trumps every thing (unless you are Trump or a supporter of course).

Back