Amusing Items

"find offensive" would be the usual finish.
Memo to writers of guidance texts: Don't write verbose guidance, keep to under 75 characters and don't repeat in the programme description (BBC).

'The darkest hour is just before the dawn'?​

No it isn't! The coldest hour is often just before dawn, given no change in weather conditions, but the darkest hour, on average, is going to be midway between dusk and dawn.

So, what eejit invented this phrase? A hermit?

'The darkest hour is just before the dawn'?​

No it isn't! The coldest hour is often just before dawn, given no change in weather conditions, but the darkest hour, on average, is going to be midway between dusk and dawn.

So, what eejit invented this phrase? A hermit?
Depends how you define "dawn". For example, today sunrise was at 07:56 but astronomical twilight started at 05:52 (according to the app I use).

Depends how you define "dawn".
To defend Scrat, no it doesn't (so long as you define dusk in the same way).

For information: twilight is defined in astronomical terms as when the Sun is not more than 18° below the horizon at the observer's geographic location. That means there is no astronomical "night" at midsummer for observers at latitudes greater than 48½°.

Nautical twilight is 12°, civil twilight 6°. The differences reflect how much light is considered "too much" (or too little) for those purposes.

UK Highway Code lighting-up time is sunset to sunrise, with sidelights (no headlights) permitted up to 30mins after sunset and 30mins before sunrise - which makes me wonder why I see so many vehicles (not just vans - whose headlamps are fixed to ignition) with full headlights even in broad daylight. (I also see many vehicles running DRLs after lighting-up time, their drivers apparently not realising rear lights do not come on with DRLs or that DRLs are not headlights.)

Last edited:
I hate not being to able to have front side lights only on the work van when reversing as the headlights bounce off the garage door or wall etc dazzling you as you are checking the wing mirrors when manoeuvring in a tight space. Same goes for the sun-bright security lights on people's houses not to mention the reversing cameras in some vans which at least I can cover up! :mad:

UK Highway Code lighting-up time is sunset to sunrise, with sidelights (no headlights) permitted up to 30mins after sunset and 30mins before sunrise - which makes me wonder why I see so many vehicles (not just vans - whose headlamps are fixed to ignition) with full headlights even in broad daylight. (I also see many vehicles running DRLs after lighting-up time, their drivers apparently not realising rear lights do not come on with DRLs or that DRLs are not headlights.)

Just where does it say that BH?

Highway Code Headlights and Vehicle Sidelights​

Rule 113: Car drivers MUST ensure that all vehicle sidelights are lit between sunset and sunrise while driving.

The same vehicle lighting laws also apply to rear registration plate lights. You must also use the headlights at night time unless the road has lit street lighting.

As a rule, the roads with supplemental street lighting restrict speed limits to 30 mph (48 km/h) unless specified otherwise.

Rule 114: Motorists MUST NOT use any vehicle lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users. These lighting requirements also relate to dazzling pedestrians, horse riders, or cyclists.

Drivers MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights under normal driving conditions. The exception would be if visibility is seriously reduced. Fog lights must then get switched off when the visibility improves.

Note: The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations Act 1989 got amended in the United Kingdom. It now covers the legal requirements for the use of headlamps and front fog lamps.

Just where does it say that BH?
I'm not going digging around in the exact wording of the Highway Code (I'll leave that to the nit-pickers), but I have a very clear recollection that (unless the rules have been changed):
  • Sidelights and tail lights (ie position indicators) are required between sunset and sunrise for any vehicle on the public highway (take note cyclists) - including parked unless facing the right way (so that reflectors are visible and street-lit;

• Headlights are required on moving vehicles between sunset+30mins and sunrise-30mins unless the speed limit effective is 30mph (there were no 20mph zones in my day) and street-lit.

I'm not going digging around in the exact wording of the Highway Code (I'll leave that to the nit-pickers), but I have a very clear recollection that (unless the rules have been changed):
  • Sidelights and tail lights (ie position indicators) are required between sunset and sunrise for any vehicle on the public highway (take note cyclists) - including parked unless facing the right way (so that reflectors are visible and street-lit;

• Headlights are required on moving vehicles between sunset+30mins and sunrise-30mins unless the speed limit effective is 30mph (there were no 20mph zones in my day) and street-lit.

General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158)​

You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).
Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).
Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of acorn 8))

What it does NOT say is that you cannot use headlights between lighting up time and night as BH implied, and what i nit picked about.
I always thought that if he stated a 'fact' he always checked it's validity first.
Not checking is why we have so many stupid anti vaxxers.

And brexiteers and foreigner haters and Trumps and Borises

Back