Assume v. Presume

People asking negative questions here deserve all they get.
If you'd felt as terrible as I've done for the last 4 days, you'd let me off this minor transgression. And I was away having forgotten to take the charger for my laptop. I think I'll just curl up my toes now...

upload_2017-1-24_13-52-10.png

Not "Our engineers are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible" then. A situation where the split infinitive is definitely not desirable!

Well I've heard of things being high or low decibel, but according to Radio Times it is possible to have "more than enough full-decibel enthusiasm".
I know what he's trying to say, but the actual words are just bollox.
How can you have 'full' of something that is limitless? And how can you have more than enough of that fullness?

And according to Billy Fury in 1963, you can get half way to Paradise. I thought that the believers knew you had to be dead to achieve the full monty. Go figure!

"Whole host" is another common but meaningless phrase - how much would half a host be?
In my old Catholic days, this would have made sense! When the priest was running out of bread, he would give people half a host!

Heard on Today today:

Everyone is not capable of doing this!

So everyone is incapable of doing it? Or did the reporter mean Not everyone is capable of doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
In my old Catholic days, this would have made sense! When the priest was running out of bread, he would give people half a host!
That's fine, but when people use "whole host" in the sense of "multitude" I don't think they have the mental image of a small circular wafer not unreminiscent of a bar coaster (and probably tasting like one).

Back