Assume v. Presume

Ergo Black Hole
Or maybe ergot

As for Erg Black Hole, a fag-packet calculation suggests the M87 black hole (as imaged last year), which is "6.5 billion solar masses", has a rest-mass energy of 10^64 ergs. Or, on the other hand, none:
https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/6589/do-black-holes-have-energy said:
An isolated black hole is a vacuum solution of general relativity, so in a very direct sense it does not contain any energy anywhere in spacetime.

"Winter" is clear enough: winter vegetables, winter weather, the name of the season is Winter.
Never thought of it like that.
North, South, East and West are others that confuse me. Probably if I apply the logic of your winter example I might get it right.

Can't blame you for that. There appear to be several conversations taking place. For my part, I was expressing difficulty with what words to capitalise. BH made a suggestion. I worked out what he meant. Then he made a reference to (what I think is) doors closing in The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy. I then made the comment 2 posts ago. Are you any the wiser about that conversation?

"Fit as a butcher's dog!"

Now that is a strange saying. I always think of a butcher's dog as fat and waddling with all that easy access to scraps but it is generally taken to mean the opposite.

Maybe, just maybe, the phrase was originally coined with sarcasm in mind but has since become lost in translation.

And here is an alternative meaning which I had never heard of before but rings so true

John Camden Hotten, in A Dictionary of Modern Slang, Cant and Vulgar Words, 1859, defined 'butcher's dog' this way:

"To be like a butcher's dog, that is, lie by the beef without touching it; a simile often applicable to married men."

Back