Assume v. Presume

Cornwall Council has voted to add an official apostrophe to "Land's End".
Clarification on the punctuation was needed because of proposed changes to electoral boundaries that left some council ward areas needing new names.
A debate on ward names lasted 90 minutes, and included grammatical input from a Cornish history expert.
Councillors heard Land's End has been spelled with the apostrophe in two different places or not at all, which has led to the uncertainty.
90 minutes to decide on an apostrophe! :eek: At least it is our fault, not the EU's or as a result of the 'B' word.
BTW What is an "official apostrophe"?

The time taken to reach a decision is inversely proportional to the number of people involved in making that decision.
It seems that there were only two politicians in this instance.:frantic:

Surely two politicians isn't enough for a quorum. (Argh! I never thought I'd use the Q word again - reminds me of setting up VAX clusters)

No. And it probably should have been VAXclusters.
Code:
   OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version V7.3     Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0
%CNXMAN,  using remote access method for quorum disk
%SYSINIT, waiting to form or join a VMScluster system
%CNXMAN,  using local access method for quorum disk
%CNXMAN,  established "connection" to quorum disk
%VAXcluster-I-LOADSECDB, loading the cluster security database
%MSCPLOAD-I-LOADMSCP, loading the MSCP disk server
%CNXMAN,  proposing formation of a VAXcluster
%CNXMAN,  now a VAXcluster member -- system ******
%CNXMAN,  completing VAXcluster state transition
%CNXMAN,  quorum lost, blocking activity
%CNXMAN,  quorum regained, resuming activity
The last two entries kept repeating if someone open-circuited the ethernet connection (usually Computer Science).
If I never see the Q word again, it'll be too soon. :frantic:

I was reading the thread: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/webshell-command-line-access-from-web-browser.6907/
and decided to look up web shells as I'm not very familiar with them. I came across the following verbiage at
https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA15-314A
The purpose of this advisory is to highlight the frequent use of web shells as an exploitation vector. Web shells can be used to leverage unauthorized access and can lead to wider network compromise. This advisory outlines the threat and provides prevention, detection and mitigation strategies for administrators of web servers that have active content languages installed.
Why can't they write things in English wot I can understand? Vector? Leverage?

"Exploitation vector" as per "infection vector", "leverage" as in "facilitate"... but broadly speaking I agree. The hole in your argument is that this is clearly a technical paper intended for a readership with domain knowledge, and therefore a grasp of the relevant jargon.

What I think this is talking about is a man-in-the-middle attack, where a user thinks they are accessing the raw Internet but is actually doing so through an intermediary which can eavesdrop information or even distort it.

In our case, the "webshell" is simply a bit of code which presents a Linux command line interface (known to UNIX geeks as a "shell"*) using HTML for the communication (ie via a web browser).

* "shell" because it wraps a layer (or shell) around the raw operating system calls to translate between operator and machine. There are lots of different shells according to preference - one common example is the Bourne Again Shell or "bash" - and that's what takes a command like "ls" and then interacts with the depths of the OS to produce a directory listing (no doubt there exists another shell which accepts "dir" for the same thing). In DOS, it's the Command Interpreter cmd.com which provides the shell.

readership with domain knowledge, and therefore a grasp of the relevant jargon.
That's fair enough. It's the vector and leverage terms that turn it into nonsense, for me. I've never understood the use of leverage in the context it was used. Even worse, the American pronounciation by British English speakers when using leverage in this way. (If there was a smiley for "grates", I'd use it!)
The shell is around the kernel..
So bloody obvious that it I missed that one. :D

The chip shop is run by the Kibby family, so the top possessive apostrophe, "Kibby's" {chip shop}, is correct.
The one in the bottom line is incorrect as "Kibbys" is the plural of "Kibby".
As in "Smith's fish and chip shop is run by the Smiths".
There should be one in "Chepstow's" {chip shop} as well. I missed that one first time round. :oops: So two wronguns ans one right.

Discuss!

North end of street in Ryde IoW
South end of same street
The one at the South end actually reads "St. Thomas's Street" (from a different StreetView angle). Personally I think the road should be named "St. Thomas' Street". It's definitely a possessive so needs an apostrophe, but does it need the second "s"?

They need to have a full council meeting to take hours to resolve the issue, as in Land's End.

If you were going to spend a large amount of money on signage, wouldn't you get a few educated people to give the copy a look over before you committed? If it was the signwriter who cocked it up, they should put it right.

Re "St Thomas's" v "St Thomas'", as far as I am concerned the representation should reflect how it is pronounced. The latter is only correct if pronounced without the "-es".

I have no sympathy for people who insist their names are not pronounced how they are spelt - if they want it pronounced "Coeburn" they shouldn't spell it "Cockburn" (or at least not mind being called Cockburn). How can you criticise somebody who may not have heard a word pronounced, or has not made the connection, for simply speaking what they read? Anyone who does is an arsehole.

There's a village east of Bristol called Swineford...

The village of Salford near Milton Keynes is pronounced Safford. At least it is by the real locals and not those who migrated up from London when the M1 was built.

(the neighbouring village of Aspley Guise is pronounced Astley Guys).

Back